So, I'm using several drum sounds from Sneap. It sounds pretty good, but it's clipping in Reaper, especially the bass. I definitely like the warm quality of the whole set (especially the snare and bass) and how the hi-hat doesn't sound like someone gave it a dose of helium. Anyway, suggestions on how to keep it from clipping?

https://soundcloud.com/insane-funeral/drums

Edit:
I switched to a small room reverb. Thoughts?

I still feel like it's clipping, btw.

https://soundcloud.com/insane-funeral/drums-2
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 28, 2013,
...turn the track volume down?
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Have you tried using some sort of gain plug in as your first insert? Or you could reduce the output level of your first plugin to make sure that the signal isn't overloading any following plugins. For example if I am using the standard PT compressor and adding extra make up gain it can cause the input of a following EQ plugin to clip. The channel strip meter won't show the signal as clipping but if you check the EQ it will.

It doesn't sound like it's clipping through my monitors, although it is 4am and I am half asleep so I may not be picking up on it. Are the original samples clipping, like if you zoom in on the waveform are the peaks cut off?
Quote by OfCourseNot
...turn the track volume down?

Tried that. Didn't work. It just clipped at a lower volume. The 2nd sample is with a smaller room IR and with lower volume. It still clips a bit.

Quote by dannycasevnx
Have you tried using some sort of gain plug in as your first insert? Or you could reduce the output level of your first plugin to make sure that the signal isn't overloading any following plugins. For example if I am using the standard PT compressor and adding extra make up gain it can cause the input of a following EQ plugin to clip. The channel strip meter won't show the signal as clipping but if you check the EQ it will.

No, my chain basically goes: ReaSamplOmatic5000 (the specific drum sample is loaded here) -> EQ -> Compression/Reverb.

It's just a basic 4 piece kit with kick, snare, hi-hat, & crash; as I'm sure you can hear. The room IR is run through keFir, and that introduces a bit of gain. I'll try reducing that.

It doesn't sound like it's clipping through my monitors, although it is 4am and I am half asleep so I may not be picking up on it.

Well, in Reaper, if it clips the volume bar shows as red. So, I know it's clipping. The 2nd sample is better, because the 2nd room IR has less gain.

Are the original samples clipping, like if you zoom in on the waveform are the peaks cut off?

No, the original samples aren't.

Edit:
I think I fixed it. I decided to go with a small room ambiance IR, because it uses less gain in keFir. That seemed to clear it up.

As a bonus, this 3rd one is a bit louder than the 2nd one.

https://soundcloud.com/insane-funeral/drums-3
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 29, 2013,
That means there's a pretty sharp peak in the hit, it happens a fair bit with drums. A good limiter to catch the peak and some compression to even it out (unless you already have compression on it, but it might need some adjusting)
Quote by chatterbox272
That means there's a pretty sharp peak in the hit, it happens a fair bit with drums. A good limiter to catch the peak and some compression to even it out (unless you already have compression on it, but it might need some adjusting)

I have compression on both specific drums and on the whole kit itself. The drum buss has a compressor specifically designed to make the whole set sound cohesive; then there's the Reaper stock compression on the room track, the kick, the snare, and the overhead track. How would you recommend I adjust compression further?
Tighter attack on the compressor probably, smash dem transients.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!