Hi, I was wondering how to get a few bass tones out of my bass. All I can go by are these songs, but the bass in them sound awesome, so I wanna try it out.

How Could I? - Obscura version

That kind of gnawing bass that comes out when their are special bass riffs, especially at 1:20 - 1:25

And also Bulls on Parade - RATM

That sort of aggressive bass near the beginning, is that slap distortion or something else?

Thanks in advance!
i might be wrong - more than likely, its been a long day - but i think most of what you are hearing the beginning of the rage track is the guitar through a whammy down an octave. tim commerford uses a bunch of OD and distortion pedals so it could be any combination of a few of them or just one aside from the staple big muff he has some apparently home made pedals as well as an old marshall distortion. whatever he uses i f*cking love his tone.

the obscura tone is jeroen paul thessling? and i'm pretty sure he's on his 7 string fretless warwick, so you're gonna want a decent paying job and some time to save

turns out he left in 2011 but i'm pretty sure the track you linked is on a fretless bass
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Last edited by moody git at May 28, 2013,
Quote by moody git
i might be wrong - more than likely, its been a long day - but i think most of what you are hearing the beginning of the rage track is the guitar through a whammy down an octave.

I'm talking after the very beginning after the wah guitar break.

Quote by moody git
tim commerford uses a bunch of OD and distortion pedals so it could be any combination of a few of them or just one aside from the staple big muff he has some apparently home made pedals as well as an old marshall distortion. whatever he uses i f*cking love his tone.

Agreed, it's really aggressive and just all around great.

Quote by moody git
the obscura tone is jeroen paul thessling? and i'm pretty sure he's on his 7 string fretless warwick, so you're gonna want a decent paying job and some time to save

turns out he left in 2011 but i'm pretty sure the track you linked is on a fretless bass

Is that how you get that tone? Through a fretless bass? I've heard it on Opeth too, does Martin Mendez use fretless as well?
Tim uses at least two different home made overdrives on his pedal board. His tone has been describe at times as "grindy" which I think is rather apt.