Been reading about poweramps. I know people have used poweramps straight into a cab with no amp head, just using pedals to make the tone, advice? It seems pretty cheap imo to just buy 3 pedals or something eg distortion/overdrive/noise gate lets say as supposed to buying an amp head

but would it sound okay?

Thanks!
An amp head is typically a pre- and a power amp, not just a pre amp.

For your question actual question; in drum line, we use a similar set up to how you've explained. My signal path goes Guitar>Multi Effect Pedal (with an amp and cab simulator)>Mixer>Power amp>speakers. It could just be the multieffect unit I'm using (or I suck at EQing), but tones with gain don't sound too good.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
Quote by thebestjoe
An amp head is typically a pre- and a power amp, not just a pre amp.

For your question actual question; in drum line, we use a similar set up to how you've explained. My signal path goes Guitar>Multi Effect Pedal (with an amp and cab simulator)>Mixer>Power amp>speakers. It could just be the multieffect unit I'm using (or I suck at EQing), but tones with gain don't sound too good.

Yeah i have gone from using peavey and mesa heads (both with built in power amps) to using MFX processor ->power amp -> 4x12 cab

mostly because its so much easier to cart a MFX unit/poweramp etc in a single rack all over the place. Plus, i get almost the identical sound out of axe fx/matrix gt800fx as i used to with a pedalboard and amp heads!
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.