Page 1 of 2
Hey all,

Looking for a head+2x12 for under £400. People suggested a JCA22/50H but those are out of stock on thomann for an unspecified time, and they do those for about £200-280 whereas elsewhere it'd cost double, so I'm looking for options as I need it soon.

Im happy to use a cheapo power amp + a floor pedal layout or something if it's cheap, eg floor pod+ and a rocktron running into a 2x12.

Thanks very much!
Are you in any rush? Those jet cities are likely to be better than anything else you can get (new, anyway) for the same price by quite some margin, it'd really probably be worth waiting until they get them back into stock. Assuming they are getting them back into stock, I guess you could email them to see if/when they'll be back.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

have a look for a 6505+ 212. wont disappoint! shld be able to get one in your budget
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
Quote by ibanez_guru
have a look for a 6505+ 212. wont disappoint! shld be able to get one in your budget

6505 212 or the 6505+ 112? Some clarification is necessary.
Ibanez RG652KFX Prestige
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
sorry, my bad. 6505 212 combo!!!!

our other guitarist uses a 6505+ head and he has a combo at home for his own personal use. it is a 6505+112 combo. Chinese made i do believe.

The 212 combo is USA made although im led to believe it still sounds pretty good with a speaker change.....
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
Concerning the Jet City, it was recommended to me aswell. I asked the customer service at Thomann when it will be available. They said beginning of august.
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
-Douglas Adams
What kind of metal?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Check out an Orange Dark Terror - should be able to get one second hand with a Cab in your budget - great amp!

- Nick
The Jet city JCA22 has no clean channel, not sure about the 50. Just something to think about in case you want to be able to play clean. You can dial in a sort of clean, but it's not going to get very loud and still remain sort of clean.
Does it need to be tube amp? If not then check Randalls. The better "back to the roots" one is out of stock at the moment but stock should arrive at early july. The second, unless i am mistaken, is similar to rg75 g3 i owned and it wasnt half bad at all.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/randall_rg_1503_head.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/randall_rh150g3.htm

Jet city could be better and more versatile choice overall, but if you are in a hurry.

*edit* scratch the second RH Randall, not worth it.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at May 29, 2013,
Quote by MaaZeus
Does it need to be tube amp? If not then check Randalls. The better "back to the roots" one is out of stock at the moment but stock should arrive at early july. The second, unless i am mistaken, is similar to rg75 g3 i owned and it wasnt half bad at all.

Jet city could be better and more versatile choice overall, but if you are in a hurry.

The Diavlo series might be worth looking out for. So many different versions at all kinds of price points.

Actually considering getting one myself just because they're so affordable.

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/diavlo-series/
Ibanez RG652KFX Prestige
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Quote by lemurflames
The Diavlo series might be worth looking out for. So many different versions at all kinds of price points.

Actually considering getting one myself just because they're so affordable.

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/diavlo-series/

Good call. Problem is that the new series that Fortin had his hands on are not in stock at thomann yet. There is only RD50 which is part of the old serie and i have no idea how good or bad it is. Actually i dont know about the new either but it seems very promising.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at May 29, 2013,
Quote by ibanez_guru
sorry, my bad. 6505 212 combo!!!!

our other guitarist uses a 6505+ head and he has a combo at home for his own personal use. it is a 6505+112 combo. Chinese made i do believe.

The 212 combo is USA made although im led to believe it still sounds pretty good with a speaker change.....

I was going to say... THOSE THINGS ARE A BIT OUT OF MY LEAGUE, GO AWAY TROLL! )

I really don't want to use combos, I love the versatility of a head and cab setup, two parts, can swap one out etc
okay, so in response to everyone,

yes, I would prefer head+cab, im playing a spider 3 75w atm which is a modelling amp which I no longer want

I would prefer having a single channel amp then just later on buying a distortion pedal to switch from clean to metal but dual channel on the JCA50H is more appealing and probably a cheaper option there.

What kind of metal? I play two main subgenres,

one is thrash, EG. Sylosis, Lamb Of God, that sort of thing, but also a lot of prog, I intend to get an 8-string soon so it'd be awesome if it would work with those things.

Prog bands I like are Animals As Leaders/Periphery/TesseracT/Love a good bit of 'SHUGGAH.

I'll check out randall although I prefer that it's a tube, as I heard one before and I love the sound it gives.
Thanks!
Quote by AngryIndianDude
okay, so in response to everyone,

yes, I would prefer head+cab, im playing a spider 3 75w atm which is a modelling amp which I no longer want

I would prefer having a single channel amp then just later on buying a distortion pedal to switch from clean to metal but dual channel on the JCA50H is more appealing and probably a cheaper option there.

What kind of metal? I play two main subgenres,

one is thrash, EG. Sylosis, Lamb Of God, that sort of thing, but also a lot of prog, I intend to get an 8-string soon so it'd be awesome if it would work with those things.

Prog bands I like are Animals As Leaders/Periphery/TesseracT/Love a good bit of 'SHUGGAH.

I'll check out randall although I prefer that it's a tube, as I heard one before and I love the sound it gives.
Thanks!

Just looked up the JCA50 and it doesn't have a clean channel either. Just keep that in mind if you actually want real cleans.
Quote by J_W
Just looked up the JCA50 and it doesn't have a clean channel either. Just keep that in mind if you actually want real cleans.

Channels:Normal and Overdrive, foot-switchable with included footswitch

Normal will do for me

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at May 30, 2013,
1w is too little, I forgot to add i play small shows, I'd need in the region of 20-50w I suppose hence a bedroom cab is not really what im after.

I saw the pricetag of the RD45, out of my game if £400 needs to cover head and cab (((((((((

Is 475 £ with head+cab pushing it too far?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_100hdm_bundle_2.htm

Same amp as jca50 except more watts and depth mod (low end resonance control basically) built in stock.

I think i recommended this to you some time ago.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Is 475 £ with head+cab pushing it too far?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_100hdm_bundle_2.htm

Same amp as jca50 except more watts and depth mod (low end resonance control basically) built in stock.

I think i recommended this to you some time ago.

you might have done, ive been debating getting these jet cities for a good month hhhahaha, might be pushing it, hard to tell, but is it worth that extra cash is what im wondering
^ if you're able/willing to wait for the 50 to come back into stock, probably not (unless you need 100 watts and/or the depth control). It's a fair bit more for (as far as i'm aware) more or less the same thing.

I say that having not tried the 100hdm, so probably take that with a pinch of salt
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by AngryIndianDude
Channels:Normal and Overdrive, foot-switchable with included footswitch

Normal will do for me

It's more like Gain and more gain. Normal is not clean. I have a JCA20H and the "cleans" you get out of it are not clean by any stretch.
Quote by J_W
It's more like Gain and more gain. Normal is not clean. I have a JCA20H and the "cleans" you get out of it are not clean by any stretch.

That should be okay as I rarely use clean, but for when I do use it am I totally out of options or are there pedals that could help me there?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ if you're able/willing to wait for the 50 to come back into stock, probably not (unless you need 100 watts and/or the depth control). It's a fair bit more for (as far as i'm aware) more or less the same thing.

I say that having not tried the 100hdm, so probably take that with a pinch of salt

In which case i'll just wait, I shouldnt need 100 watts and the depth control is okay to go without but thanks for the help!
Quote by clegtr
Concerning the Jet City, it was recommended to me aswell. I asked the customer service at Thomann when it will be available. They said beginning of august.

Yeah I just heard back, august dang!
Quote by MaaZeus

*edit* scratch the second RH Randall, not worth it.

I just had a look at the randall rg 1503, and its only a bit more than the jet city which amazes me, its a hybrid ss/tube and has two channels, one with two gain settings, better than the jet city i wonder??
^ i haven't tried it, but i doubt it. I tried the older V2 (pretty expensive) randall hybrid a good while back, and while it was really good for a hybrid, it was still a hybrid. Personally I'd rather have had a full-tube amp like the jet city.

Quote by AngryIndianDude
In which case i'll just wait, I shouldnt need 100 watts and the depth control is okay to go without but thanks for the help!

no problem

Quote by AngryIndianDude
That should be okay as I rarely use clean, but for when I do use it am I totally out of options or are there pedals that could help me there?

fwiw i can dial in a reasonable-sounding clean, i think. how loud you can get that clean tone at is another thing, but at low/bedroom volumes you can get a cleanish tone.

rolling back your guitar's volume (a treble bleed cap on the volume will help it to stay sparkly) would help it to stay clean.

A chorus and/or reverb and/or delay pedal normally makes cleans sound a bit more colourful- but they won't make a dirty tone sound clean, lol.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 31, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ i haven't tried it, but i doubt it. I tried the older V2 (pretty expensive) randall hybrid a good while back, and while it was really good for a hybrid, it was still a hybrid. Personally I'd rather have had a full-tube amp like the jet city.

no problem

fwiw i can dial in a reasonable-sounding clean, i think. how loud you can get that clean tone at is another thing, but at low/bedroom volumes you can get a cleanish tone.

rolling back your guitar's volume (a treble bleed cap on the volume will help it to stay sparkly) would help it to stay clean.

A chorus and/or reverb and/or delay pedal normally makes cleans sound a bit more colourful- but they won't make a dirty tone sound clean, lol.

Ah right thanks for the help there. I came across a laney amp which is exactly the same price as the city 50, Laney LV300, any thoughts? im aware that it is not full tube, but i dont really know if its any good for me. thanks!
Quote by AngryIndianDude
Ah right thanks for the help there. I came across a laney amp which is exactly the same price as the city 50, Laney LV300, any thoughts? im aware that it is not full tube, but i dont really know if its any good for me. thanks!

LV doesnt get much love. Judging from what ive heard and youtube clips ive listened, the Randall RG1503 I linked would be better choice. Its based on Rg100es, quite famous SS amp in metal circles.

About the depth mod, jet citys get quite bassy as you turn the gain up. The depth knob helps to keep things tight. Or more boomy if you desire. There is a clip in youtube demonstrating it but im not at home so i cant link it yet. Basically its close to resonance knobs of Peaveys if i understood it right.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at May 31, 2013,
Quote by MaaZeus
LV doesnt get much love. Judging from what ive heard and youtube clips ive listened, the Randall RG1503 I linked would be better choice. Its based on Rg100es, quite famous SS amp in metal circles.

About the depth mod, jet citys get quite bassy as you turn the gain up. The depth knob helps to keep things tight. Or more boomy if you desire. There is a clip in youtube demonstrating it but im not at home so i cant link it yet. Basically its close to resonance knobs of Peaveys if i understood it right.

JCA50H it is. Also gives me a reason to get a pedalboard too! Thanks!!!
There are some awesome Laneys that would do what you want but you would need to go 2nd hand.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0

sounds pretty chunky but I would prefer the raw tube power from the jet city to be honest. ill keep that as a backup though
I dont think you know how tube amps work when you use them for metal... The JCA is good stuff though.

Happy hunting

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by AngryIndianDude
sounds pretty chunky but I would prefer the raw tube power from the jet city to be honest. ill keep that as a backup though

Do not turn down the VH100R. :P

Get get get.
Ibanez RG652KFX Prestige
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Quote by Tom 1.0
There are some awesome Laneys that would do what you want but you would need to go 2nd hand.

Yeah! Have you looked at whats on used market Indian dude? You could snatch a good amp for surprisingly little money if you keep your eyes peeled and browse the internet.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Yeah! Have you looked at whats on used market Indian dude? You could snatch a good amp for surprisingly little money if you keep your eyes peeled and browse the internet.

I dont want to risk 2nd hand, I know i dont have much choice but id rather something from thomann for instance with a 3 year warantee as I know that tube amps can be a b####
Page 1 of 2