I'll start this off by saying that I'm not a novice to practicing and that i know some things just take many many years of practice.. But right now I'm learning quite a technical solo and i just can't do this stretch... If it was at a super slow tempo MAYBE i could do it but it's done during some quite fast sweeping and the sweeping isn't a problem. I can do every arpeggio fine except these ones..

e|------------4-9-4----------------5-10-5-- <--- The pull-offs i can't do
B|----------6-------6-------------7--------7-
G|--------6----------6----------7------------
D|------6-------------6-------7--------------
A|-4-8-----------------8-5-9----------------
E|---------------------------------------------

I remember about 2-3 years ago learning a solo with a sweep that had an almost identical stretch like this. The sweep wasn't as fast but the distance was basically the same. To this day i still can't do that stretch, let alone these ones. It's really frustrating and if i could sweep tap this i would (but that's pretty much impossible in this case). Occasionally i can maybe JUST do the stretch but i can really feel my fingers stretching and it can even hurt stretching that far.

Here's a video of someone playing that particular section of the solo..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyn3cuT3iog#t=1m15s

I know that hand positioning on the neck can be extremely important for big stretches like this but even when i do that i still struggle sooooooooooo much.
I know practice is key but i'd figure after a couple years i would have improved at these type of stretches (and i haven't).
If anyone has some sort of first hand advice that'd be very much appreciated.
I really want to improve i just don't know how.. I feel like there's only so much playing the same part over and over will do.
It's weird, because I can do this 5-10-5 easily (even 5-11-5 it's ok) ... maybe it's just that your hands are too small, and you can't do it even with practice.
Or I'm totally wrong and with practice, you'll be able to do this stretch.

(Yeah, I know ... my answer is not very helpful :O)

Try to practice it like 5-9-5, and maybe in a few weeks you'll be able to do this 5-10-5 stretch.

I play piano since I'm 9-10 ... so maybe it's for this reason I can do it easily ... it would mean that it's just a matter of practice and time ...

Anyway, good luck !
"Sans la musique, la vie serait une erreur" Nietzsche
Quote by Syndromed
It's weird, because I can do this 5-10-5 easily (even 5-11-5 it's ok) ... maybe it's just that your hands are too small, and you can't do it even with practice.
Or I'm totally wrong and with practice, you'll be able to do this stretch.

(Yeah, I know ... my answer is not very helpful :O)

Try to practice it like 5-9-5, and maybe in a few weeks you'll be able to do this 5-10-5 stretch.

I play piano since I'm 9-10 ... so maybe it's for this reason I can do it easily ... it would mean that it's just a matter of practice and time ...

Anyway, good luck !

Thing is i can do 4-8 and 5-9 really easy. And i can do the extra fret IF I'm not playing this sweep. Like if i just trill the 4-9 for example i can do that no problem, but this isn't a trill, it's a 5 string sweep and that makes it way harder for me to do this stretch. If it was some sort of slow melodic solo that stretch wouldn't be an issue. If that was the case i wouldn't even do a 5 finger stretch to be honest.
I feel like because i have to do a 3 finger roll... To minimize feedback from the other strings when i roll i sort of roll my finger a bit diagonally instead of straight 90 degrees vertical which automatically puts my index and pinky finger in a diagonal position and makes the stretch more difficult. Not sure if this could be a bad habit actually but it's something i seem to do and it works. Possibly that's the issue, but is that a bad habit when sweeping fast to do rolls slightly diagonal?
Last edited by vayne92 at May 29, 2013,
Quote by lightdark
Try using tapping. IT'll be a good way to practice sweep tapping.

Sweep tapping would be very impractical in this situation. Considering I'd have to have my picking hand sweeping real far up on the neck, not to mention the sections following jump up about 7 frets from that position almost instantaneously. My hands would be going eeeeeeverywhere.
How high is your guitar strap? Wearing your guitar higher will make playing guitar more comfortable while standing.
While playing in a sitting position, I'd recommend sitting in a classical position for greater fret access.
Hope this helps.
What are you doin down there? Thats where you play rythym guitar. Thats alot eiser to play in the 9th position on low E - B strings instead.
I was in purgatory for 30 days but now Ive seen the light and changed my ways. If your bad they send you to a really boring forum for 30 days.
You realize that he's playing some of those arpeggios down an octave, right? And also in a different tuning? If you're playing in standard tuning, move everything over a string so that you're playing that arpeggio like so:

e-|------------------------------------
B-|---------------9-14p9---------------
G-|------------10--------10------------
D-|---------11--------------11---------
A-|------11--------------------11------
E-|-9h13--------------------------13p9-

That song is played in either D standard or Drop C tuning, though, so the same arpeggio is probably played like this on the recording:

d-|------------6h11p6---------------
A-|----------8----------8-----------
F-|--------8---------------8--------
C-|------8-------------------8------
G-|-6h10-----------------------10p6-
D-|---------------------------------
Last edited by Geldin at May 29, 2013,
Quote by Scratcher17
While playing in a sitting position, I'd recommend sitting in a classical position for greater fret access.
Hope this helps.

That's a good point. I may give that a go actually.

And yes it is played in Drop C tuning Geldin. For the sake of this i may tune to C standard though and give it a shot sweeping from the E to B. I shall post back with results later once i get home and practice
Last edited by vayne92 at May 29, 2013,