Page 1 of 3
How the hell are you supposed to get a job as a young person with no experience, no degree/certification, and who wasn't born into wealth?

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
A job? Sure, that's not tough. A good job? Well...
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
You get jobs which don't require experience.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
A) By being a reputable, sociable young man with an appropriate level of basic skills.

B) By not being an awkward neckbeard outcast recluse.

C) By being able to conduct yourself as a responsible adult for, like, 2-5 minutes.

I'm not surprised it's too much for you.
I got a job starting at $15 an hour with paid training with no training. It's about who you know.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
It's really not that hard for a teenager to get a job. You just have to accept that you're going to be doing something you probably won't like.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Yes, well... from 2008-present it really is just a shitty time to come of age. Nowadays people with Master's degrees are having a rough time finding jobs. I cannot confirm this to be true, but I hear that there is a particular McDonald's that is looking to hire people with Bachelor's degrees.

I really do enjoy the liberal nature of our society, rapidly advancing technology, etc... but it would've been nice to live pre-WWII, where, if you had a High School Diploma, you could buy a house, a car, support a family and retire with whatever job you got. You were all set. Now, there really are no guarantees even if you have a great education. It isn't too uncommon for people who are 26+ with college degrees to be living with their parents. **** this economy...
Quote by AeroRocker
It's really not that hard for a teenager to get a job. You just have to accept that you're going to be doing something you probably won't like.

Applying and calling to pretty much everywhere I'm realistically qualified for, but most of the jobs up here (Northeast US) are for either healthcare workers, HR departments, or some kind of technician or engineer. I aspire to become a part of that third group, but having not been born into wealth I can't rely on family support while I go through college. Job must come first.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
A) By being a reputable, sociable young man with an appropriate level of basic skills.

C) By being able to conduct yourself as a responsible adult for, like, 2-5 minutes.

Did daddy type that for you, or has he given you keyboard privileges for the day? Good boy.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Quote by OneHappyCamper
I hear Army gives seals for bravery.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by cho0onger

Did daddy type that for you, or has he given you keyboard privileges for the day? Good boy.

lol how are you even affording internet mr unemployed
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by cho0onger
most of the jobs up here (Northeast US) are for either healthcare workers, HR departments, or some kind of technician or engineer.

You're looking at the wrongs places. You need degrees for those jobs. Try a restaurant or retail. If you want a more "prominent" job then you get a degree. That's how the world works.

Quote by cho0onger
but having not been born into wealth I can't rely on family support while I go through college. Job must come first.

Not everyone who goes to college is having daddy pay the bills. If you can't get any sort of scholarship or get a loan, then save up money from working at Starbucks or whatever.
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by AeroRocker
You're looking at the wrongs places. You need degrees for those jobs. Try a restaurant or retail. If you want a more "prominent" job then you get a degree. That's how the world works.

Yeah I'm not just looking for those jobs obviously, I didn't mean to convey that lol. They're just everywhere in the general job postings, there's scarcely anything else.
Not everyone who goes to college is having daddy pay the bills. If you can't get any sort of scholarship or get a loan, then save up money from working at Starbucks or whatever.

Well, therein lies the original problem, I'm having trouble getting that sort of job in the first place.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Quote by OneHappyCamper
I dunno. I was born into a middle-class family and have been working since I was 15.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
College is a waste of time.

Deal drugs. Drugs are where the money is at.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by captainsnazz
You don't lol

dis

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
If you can't land a retail or customer service type job, there's probably something else wrong with you.
Quote by Avedas
If you can't land a retail or customer service type job, there's probably something else wrong with you.

now thats just not true and you know it.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Retail doesn't exactly have a high barrier of entry, though.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
Retail doesn't exactly have a high barrier of entry, though.

On the off chance they're hiring, yeah. But, (at least in my state) that off chance is pretty goddamn off, and whenever it comes around there's about 200 applications, mostly people like me, but some of which are fully qualified and require no training, are educated etc., etc., etc. It's very, very difficult to beat out those people.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Quote by OneHappyCamper
other than people not employing because consumption is low shrug.

bar staff and waiting on are probably the best options at the moment, since they are always understaffed.
CuSO4

You can just become a studentassistent like me.

Well, it don't need the cash, just needed something for my CV.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Do you live in a heavily populated area?

Retail jobs are highly sought after (for what reason, I have no clue, having worked my fair share of them), and therefore have a high volume of applicants, typically. But they also have the highest employee turnover rate, so the important thing is to apply to many different locations and make sure that they note your interest in the job.

If you're in a smaller community, a good word from a friend or relative who works with the company/knows the boss or something similar can really work wonders.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

you get your dad to ask some rich guy to make a couple of phonecalls

that's how i got a job yolo
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by eGraham
Do you live in a heavily populated area?

Retail jobs are highly sought after (for what reason, I have no clue, having worked my fair share of them), and therefore have a high volume of applicants, typically. But they also have the highest employee turnover rate, so the important thing is to apply to many different locations and make sure that they note your interest in the job.

If you're in a smaller community, a good word from a friend or relative who works with the company/knows the boss or something similar can really work wonders.

I live a few towns away from Boston, so yeah. The idea is to keep applying to everywhere and hope for the best, but as for the latter bit my family is comprised mainly of white trash poor people, hardly the best references or opportunities for connections.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Quote by OneHappyCamper
Quote by Neo Evil11
You can just become a studentassistent like me.

Well, it don't need the cash, just needed something for my CV.

This isn't bad. If you can manage, you can do things only for the prestige. Or research work programs. You might be able to get a shitty seasonal job but it's something. Find a place that needs office assistants. It teaches basic skills and everyone could use a desk lackey.

I'm in a work program for Native American tribe citizens. There are similar things in other parts of the country for poverty and stuff. Or enroll in a few classes and try being a work study person.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at May 29, 2013,
Actually my jobs all came to me. They ask me for the Studentassistentship because I was best of the class. My job for checking busses and installing some chips there, came because my brother in law was head mechanic.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Hereiwas
now thats just not true and you know it.

Living in a small town counts.
You work crap jobs for a while. They suck, but eventually you get a reputation for being a good employee, so you get a better job somewhere else. Eventually when you succeed there, you'll get a better job somewhere else, and thus the trend continues until you find a line of work you want to retire in.

That is, assuming, you're not one of the millions of people who bitch about their jobs they suck at. A lot of people take the attitude that a job is something that's owed to them. If you have one, be happy, and perhaps even give as shit about it.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster

That is, assuming, you're not one of the millions of people who bitch about their jobs they suck at. A lot of people take the attitude that a job is something that's owed to them. If you have one, be happy, and perhaps even give as shit about it.

+1

Only bitch about your job if you're objectively the best employee.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

you just find something that sounds even moderately interesting and learn to sell yourself. if you were a good student and have a good resume from school or prior jobs, just make your pitch that you're a proven quick learner and they can basically mold you into what they want in an employee. make them think that other more qualified applicants have more experience, but less potential since they already have their way of doing things. how many times have you worked somewhere and you heard someone say, "well the last place i worked the procedure was blah blah blah." you're a blank slate out of which they can basically form a customized, model employee. they get to train you exactly to their specific company standards. what you lack in experience, you make up for in potential, energy and intelligence. or at least make them think that.
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at May 29, 2013,
Quote by Thrashtastic15

This.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Retail doesn't have a high level of entry requirements? lul

Costa Coffee recently opened in Derby and they had 7000 applicants, some as far Liverpool.
Supply and demand man. They can be picky and go for the first person that strikes their fancy, regardless of whether you have 10 degrees, a nobel peace prize or you are the second coming of jesus.

The whole "it's how you present yourself" thing is bullshit... That only counts when you have an interview and can get a foot in the door. Otherwise, it is a matter of experience, luck and timing.

But at the same time. A lot of basic jobs ask for experience, so how do you get that experience because if you are forced financially to start somewhere but don't have training, what do you do?

You do **** all. Just keep trying basically
The time has come for all to see

The men behind the curtain cast at you disease

Yours Sincerely
Get lucky. Apply everywhere. Be willing to actually do whatever job you land.

Mostly get lucky.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by Nick92Slayer

The whole "it's how you present yourself" thing is bullshit... That only counts when you have an interview and can get a foot in the door. Otherwise, it is a matter of experience, luck and timing.

Hi, I work in management and do the hiring for my workplace. I can safely say as someone who's been gainfully employed since their freshman year of high school that you're bullshit.

TS, don't listen to this dude. You're considered in part for the examples of how you've performed in the past, but you're hired based upon your potential to do the job you're applying for. I've hired plenty of people with smaller resumes because they were the kind of person that would fit the workplace.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at May 29, 2013,
Page 1 of 3