I'm looking to start jamming with friends, at the moment I have a 5 watt tube amp and i've heard it'll start to really struggle when pushed, and wont have the high end.

What amp would you reccommend for a good hendrix/frusciante sound.

I don't have a big budget, a few hundred pound maybe.

Willing to buy used.

Would like Marshall/Fender
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke
Buy a used 112 Valveking. They're cheap (£150 max), versatile & can produce the sound you are after.
You could possibly look at a used Fender blues jr, although it might be slightly too quiet for you.

Try a used Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401C.

It depensd whether you prefer more clean tones or crunch tones?
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
wait what? who says that?

you can jam on 5 watts. it depends what your doing? gigging or just playin in basements / garages? 5 watts gets loud!

it may begin to breakup but for some RHCP and hendrix that is good, some you may need more cleans. but pushing an amp can sound really good.

losing high end? why? generally pushing power tubes and opening up an amp adds high end and different harmonics opposed to an amp barely turned up, which often sounds dull and lifeless.

most importantly - what 5 watt tuber is it?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
ever considered a Traynor amp? Canadian Amps and pretty hardy amps and not too expensive. They have a Fenderish clean channel, and the crunch channel to me sounds like a cross between AC30 crunch and a Modern Marshall etc. model I own is the YCV40, 40watts, can get loud enough to drown out everyone else but also handles lower volumes really well...Loves pedals(I typically use the cleans with overdrive boxes for my sound).

check out their site:
raynoramps.com/guitar/ycv/product/ycv40/

can find em used for around 450$ on ebay etc.
Its a Vibro Champ xD.
I generally use the Fender Bassman preset channel, gain at about 4/5 where it's just about to break up
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke
bump
Look for a used Fender HRD, I think it will do.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz