I have a Kona KG18n guitar that I bought. It's a very nice looking guitar. I have owned/played a Kona in the past, and it was a very nice sounding guitar. This newer guitar doesn't sound well at all. The guitar sounds fine except the B & G strings. Needless to say, any chord with those strings involved sound sour and out-of-tune. I have tuned these strings with 3 different tuners at the same time before, and each of them said it was in tune. However, to the ear, very yucky sounding. If anyone has any ideas, besides throwing it in the trash, please give me some ideas to try and adjust the sound. Below are the specs from the factory it came with and what improvements I have made to it.

From the factory it had the following specs:

Dreadnaught Shape

Solid Spruce top(looks like sitka, very narrow grain)
Laminate roeswood B & S
Bone nut and saddle
Plastic bridge pins
Phosphor Bronze light strings

Upgrades

Bone bridge pins
grover rotomatic tuners
a different bone saddle

Oh yes, I Have tried the following strings too:

80/20 Mediums
80/20 Lights
80/20 Bluegrass
Phosphor bronze Mediums
Phosphor bronze lights
sounds like you need the saddle intonated for those two strings.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Hold the strings directly over the 12th fret, and pick the string so as to cause a harmonic. The harmonic chime should occur DIRECTLY over the 12th fret. If it doesn't, the guitar's intonation is off. (I use a a fairly small metal object to cause the harmonic. Normally the round shaft of a screwdriver or similar. If you use a regular slide or bottleneck, the range is too broad, and you can't isolate the position of the harmonic accurately enough).

Correct the action height on your guitar BEFORE you begin this process. A high string action causes more pitch change than it should when you fret it. Different strings change pitch at different rates even when they are at the same height above the fret board.

Acoustics have a rather limited range across which their intonations can be adjusted. Takamine approaches the problem by having a split string saddle arrangement. There are actually 2(!) separate saddles in some of their guitars.

Other makers grind or mold offsets into a single saddle piece:

A Taylor type compensated saddle:

Do the action work first before you blindly tear into the intonation work . Here's a guide for setup: http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html

Onboard tuners are sometimes not entirely accurate. Investigate "strobe type" tuners, such as the Planet Waves: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TunerStrobe (Best price at Sweetwater ATM). You have to plug into that tuner, there's no mic.

You can also try "temper tuning" the guitar by flatting the offending string ever so slightly.

Some guitars can not be intonated properly, because of misplaced bridges or frets . This comes under the heading of, "defects in material and workmanship". If you find this is the case, you have a warranty claim. (Assuming of course, you have a warranty).
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 30, 2013,
or you can take your guitar to a luthier or guitar tech and see what they charge to do it.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!