Building a 7 string and need two, 2 inch thick piece of mahogany.... while i'm at it... what high out put pickup would be good for mahogany? i need it to be able to play stuff like whitechapel, chelsea grin, children of bodom, but also have a bright sounding distortion that wont be to dark.
go to you local lumber dealer and ask them. If not then look at:

www.grizzly.com
www.stewmac.com
www.byoguitar.com
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at May 30, 2013,
Quote by Explorerbuilder
2" is pretty dang thick for a guitar... That will weigh a ton.
Make it 1.5" to 1 3/4".

i dont plan on making the guitar that thick... i just need the extra in case i but too deep when making the holes for the pickups.... if i dont make a mistake than i'll just sand off the extra and i'm also planning on sanding the sides of the top of the guitar to make it looks as the guitar is popping out if that makes sense.
That is poor reasoning and designing to do it that way, but if you think its worth it...
But if "going too deep" while routing your pickups is a worry or possibility, you are going to run into a ton of things WAY harder to get around that than. That is one of the easiest things to do correctly.

So, you mean.. a carved top?
Quote by Explorerbuilder
That is poor reasoning and designing to do it that way, but if you think its worth it...
But if "going too deep" while routing your pickups is a worry or possibility, you are going to run into a ton of things WAY harder to get around that than. That is one of the easiest things to do correctly.

So, you mean.. a carved top?

Yeah a carved top but i'm still thinking it through.. on how much inches i should get cause i'm just trying to make this as good as possible since this will be my first build.... btw whats better, honduran mahogany or african mahogany?
I can see you've done your research, haha. Take a couple weeks and explore all the possibilities and plan out how you're going to do it. It's not the best project to be spontaneous with, considering how expensive it can get.