I'm looking to get my hands on an RG, and spotted this RGT42 at a local guitar shop today. I've been reading some reviews and opinions on it, and the biggest complaints seem to be about the INF pickups and Lo TRS II bridge. If I were to get this, I would be trading my BC Rich Mockingbird Special for it. The shop is asking $400 for it, but will give it to me for $120 with the trade. Does it seem worth it?
I'd go for it i've got one myself, can't comment on the pickups mine has an EMG 81 and can't really fault the edge pro II.
When I had my RGT, it was very lack-luster. Pickups were not too great and I was not a fan of the trem. The neck was not nearly as comfortable as my RG, but to each his own. Play it and see if you like it.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7(*for sale*)
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
For 400 bucks you can get a used Prestige. It's overpriced IMO.
Quote by rickster100
I'd go for it i've got one myself, can't comment on the pickups mine has an EMG 81 and can't really fault the edge pro II.

The rg42t doesn't have the edge pro. It has the lo trs 2, and it is a piece o crap. Small block, extremely cheap metal, blades die fast. I have one I bought of eBay for 225. It was not in pristine condition tho. 400 is about the normal going price around here used. Maybe 350. The guitar plays really well, but to me it feels really cheap. The pickups are trash. The neck is much thicker than your usual wizard neck, and I don't much love the feel of it.

I love ibanez guitars, but I would go with another rg or maybe a s series for 400. The prestige rg1570 you can find for 400ish on eBay. They stopped making these rg42s for a reason.
Thanks for all your opinions. I've decided not to go with the RGT42; based on everything I've read, the bridge is rubbish and to be avoided like the plague.
Quote by Starcounter1
The rg42t doesn't have the edge pro. It has the lo trs 2, and it is a piece o crap. Small block, extremely cheap metal, blades die fast. I have one I bought of eBay for 225. It was not in pristine condition tho. 400 is about the normal going price around here used. Maybe 350. The guitar plays really well, but to me it feels really cheap. The pickups are trash. The neck is much thicker than your usual wizard neck, and I don't much love the feel of it.

I love ibanez guitars, but I would go with another rg or maybe a s series for 400. The prestige rg1570 you can find for 400ish on eBay. They stopped making these rg42s for a reason.

Depends on what year it was made newer ones came with sharktooth inlays and lo trs, older ones had dot inlays and edge pro II, mine has the edge pro II i should no my own guitar. Check the reviews on here.
Last edited by rickster100 at Jun 1, 2013,
I was wrong. they stopped using the lo trs 2 in 2002. Only one year of production did they put the lo trs 2 on the rgt42, the very first year they made the rgt42, 2002. This is also the model I have and the op asked about. All the newer ones have edges or some other type of trem. I checked the catalog...
Last edited by Starcounter1 at Jun 1, 2013,
Not sure if its the same guitar but the RGT42dx is my favorite guitar, though I made some custom work on it (added a floyd rose, d-activator X pups, and kill switch and coil taps. ) . I love it because it feels absolutely amazing. If the regular rgt42 is anything like it I would say GET IT.
^How can you be a strong advocate of the guitar when you have replaced many key elements to the guitar? If you love the neck on it then I could see that. But rarely do I look at buying or getting a guitar to swap everything. To each his own, but I would not recommend someone a guitar that you have modded severely. Granted this may be a favorite guitar of yours now, but that is because of the upgrades.
In my opinion I would still not want the RGT, there are far better guitars out there for that price range.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7(*for sale*)
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
^How can you be a strong advocate of the guitar when you have replaced many key elements to the guitar? If you love the neck on it then I could see that. But rarely do I look at buying or getting a guitar to swap everything. To each his own, but I would not recommend someone a guitar that you have modded severely. Granted this may be a favorite guitar of yours now, but that is because of the upgrades.
In my opinion I would still not want the RGT, there are far better guitars out there for that price range.

The one I had was edge 3. Other than the pickups the modifications were mainly aesthetic. I have a PRS custom 24, and a prestige ibanez as well. The ibanez rgt feel better. Its was soo good which is the reason I made upgrades to it.

The bridge can be made fixed, and the pickups are easy to replace. None of my guitars however beats my RGT for feel though ...at least in my opinion
Last edited by nyandres at Jun 2, 2013,