I have been playing guitar for 3 and 1/2 years. I have noticed that recently my guitar skills have not been getting better. Also... I want to get into some advanced stuff like Slash guitar solos and i just can't nail those speedy licks. Are there any techniques that would help me with solo playing. I do not have a private instructor. I feel disappointed in my sound quality and i really like guitar so id like to make it better.

I usually play on either an ibanez rg with a vox amplifier, or a 70s martin acoustic. Thanks
Canada is about 10,000,000 Square Kilometers, Without A Single Guitar Center!
---
Ibanezrocker13
For me(YMMV) it took getting back into a band to overcome a lul in my skills. Practicing to music or backing tracks got old and interaction with other players, collaboration and regular jams really got my mind in the right place to allow me to grow as a picker.

Try something new...
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
You're in a rut. You're doing the same thing over and over.

If you just "play" guitar you're not really learning anything. You need to hammer that skill into your muscle memory. Find your weakest techniques and spend some time every day perfecting them.

If a riff is too fast for you, play it at half speed. It's better to play it slowly and play it proper than to rush through it and sound like a cheese grater on a violin.

Try something new. Pick up a new genre. Something outside of your usual.

If your sound isn't pleasing you, you probably need a new amp. Having a bad amplifier gave me absolutely no desire to improve. A single note couldn't even sound good, let alone several notes... Line 6 Spider 4 + low end guitar with stock pups = nope. I finally got away from that. Couldn't be happier.

What's your gear?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I play With a Vox vt40+ amp... My guitar is what pisses me off. It is an rg 420 eg that i really wanted to buy because of the finish. It is always going out of tune so i mostly stick with the acoustic.

I am a fender man through and through but im sick of cheap guitars. I cant afford an american standard guitar on a part-time job. I used to love guitar so much, now i only pick it up when i am in a good mood. If i play badly i just get depressed and listen to some real rock instead
Canada is about 10,000,000 Square Kilometers, Without A Single Guitar Center!
---
Ibanezrocker13
Try something way off from what you listen too. Classical? Jazz? Country? Spanish? Do it for a little while, learn a song or two way different. When you go back to the music you prefer , you'll be amazed at how it all applies.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by ibanezrocker13
I play With a Vox vt40+ amp... My guitar is what pisses me off. It is an rg 420 eg that i really wanted to buy because of the finish. It is always going out of tune so i mostly stick with the acoustic.

I am a fender man through and through but im sick of cheap guitars. I cant afford an american standard guitar on a part-time job. I used to love guitar so much, now i only pick it up when i am in a good mood. If i play badly i just get depressed and listen to some real rock instead

thr a mexican brother. 500 bucks and they are amazing guitars. i picked one up last tax season and i could not be happier. thing is boss. and maybe try something with a maple fingerboard if you have a rosewood one or vice versa. if you like playing heavier stuff pick up an hss.

i know the feels though mainly what it took for me was getting into some different music. i mainly play old chicago blues but i recently got into some heavier stuff. and it really revitalized my playing
Accept that learning guitar is a long term job, and takes real discipline. Learn some drills, and do them every day. Even when you really don't want to. Play them through a bright clean channel, and make sure every note rings (even if the tone isn't what you'd like), start slow, and only speed up when you can play the drills *perfectly*.

It's boring as hell, but its what it takes. Start with 10 mins if you feel bad about it. And over the course of a few months, build it to an hour. Just of drills.

This is practice. It's not playing. If you want to play, do that at some other time.

At the same time, you can improve tone by improving right hand technique. Try different plectra as well, but focus on how you hold it, the angle it hits the string, how much pick hits the string, how for from the bridge you hit the string, how much tension is in the forearm, how tight are you gripping the pick. Any change in any of these will affect the tone you get. Also make sure your fretting is good and clean, right up behind the wire, and only just firm enough to make a good acoustic coupling between string and fret.

If Jimi were still here, he would be able to pick up your guitar, plug it in your amp, and make it sound amazing. Tone is 80% technique 20% kit. Unless you have money to burn, and can buy the tone you want.

Still won't sound as good as if you play it right, though.