Page 1 of 5
Since there was a thread about production you like, post production you don't like.

For me, I don't like when production is so well done and "perfect" that to me, it just becomes very sterile.

I like a lot of Steely Dan's stuff. And their music is very well produced, well balanced, etc. But it just is so bland and dry. It's my least favorite aspect of their music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUxDFt4fo60

Also, I don't know if it came from compressing or what, but on the Strokes album (especially "Youre So Right," by far the worst track), everything just feels so small. I prefer their sound on Room On Fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-5Tdlhmh0Y
I can't be doing with the stuff Blake and Due listen to where people deliberately mix like shit. I don't understand the appeal of it at all
Quote by willT08
I can't be doing with the stuff Blake and Due listen to where people deliberately mix like shit. I don't understand the appeal of it at all
I don't know what bands they like, but is it that "We're quirky and lo-fi" shit?
Quote by willT08

I've always kind of been off-put by that, too. I remember asking a friend of mine "Are they supposed to be singing out of key?"

The answer was yes, sadly. But I digress.

Also, all Steely Dan sounds the same to me.

I love most Cream songs, but the way they sound annoys me. I can't really explain it. I really hate most of the effects that Clapton used on guitar.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at May 29, 2013,
I just really hate really dry sounding (most Bowie albums, Stooges, Joy Division) and really perfect sounding (newer Rick Rubin stuff)
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
A lot of people don't seem to like Andy Sneap's stuff but I do, so suprised he hasn't been mentioned

Rick Rubin
The time has come for all to see

The men behind the curtain cast at you disease

Yours Sincerely
I mentioned this in a similar thread this morning, but I really hate the type of ultra slick, squeaky clean production that a lot of modern metal bands, particularly tech death bands like Obscura and "symphonic" metal bands like Dimmu Borgir and Nightwish. Dragonforce and Wintersun are two more examples. They basically take all the grit and punch out of everything to make everything sound crystal clear and totally sterile.

With death metal in particular, it is not pretty music and therefore shouldn't have pretty music production. Like I said, there should be grit and punch in there because that is how the music is and so the production should reflect that.

Again, Tomb of the Mutilated and Effigy of the Forgotten have pretty ideal production for a death metal album. Really, anything that Scott Burns has produced is great. I would go as far to say that he is probably the single greatest death metal producer, and I know that quite a few of the Metal Forum regulars would back me on that one.

At the same time a lot of black metal has atrocious production on purpose and generally it's pretty awful. As far as black metal production goes, it should be a bit cold and harsh and lo-fi but it shouldn't sound like trash. In the Nightside Eclipse really hits the nail with the perfect balance as far as black metal production. Most of the 90s viking metal bands (Falkenbach, Enslaved, Mithotyn, etc) really do a great job with this as well.

Like I said in that other thread, more than anything else the important thing with production is that it fits with the music.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by The Madcap
I don't know what bands they like, but is it that "We're quirky and lo-fi" shit?

I don't know what bands he's talking about either, but I too don't like intentionally low-quality/old-fashioned/whatever produced tracks. All of the small bands I've heard that legitimately cannot afford any better production quality have music that would have benefited from better production.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by willT08

**** them, they listen to pussy shit. This is where it's at:

OT: Honestly, I'm fine with most album productions.

EDIT: ^I feel that Nightside could be a bit cleaner since some of the guitar tracks get lost. It does have that really nice "frosty" sound, though.
Last edited by Morphogenesis26 at May 29, 2013,
Quote by willT08

It's different.
I prefer lo-fi recordings, just a matter of taste.
I hate Steely Dan but I like that production.

The production on Angles is pretty bad though yeah.

I also like lo-fi production but I don't like music where the people think having lo-fi production gives them the right to sound like shit.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
i really can't think of any, except flawless ultra-clean production, and really shitty black metal production
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by anvil is god
It's different.
I prefer lo-fi recordings, just a matter of taste.

Yeah but it's not different as a result of experimentation or innovation, it seems to me that it's pure romanticism.

Same with people who say "Oh vinyl sounds SO much better". Clearly they just have some personal romanticism of vinyl as a format, and I think it's the same idea of it being anti-digital perfection that people romanticize lo-fi production for.
Quote by willT08
Yeah but it's not different as a result of experimentation or innovation, it seems to me that it's pure romanticism.

Same with people who say "Oh vinyl sounds SO much better". Clearly they just have some personal romanticism of vinyl as a format, and I think it's the same idea of it being anti-digital perfection that people romanticize lo-fi production for.

It can sound cool. This is my favorite song as far as production goes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u84f2wdl6f4
i don't like it when things are over produced

it takes all the soul out of the recording
Quote by So-Cal
i don't like it when things are over produced

it takes all the soul out of the recording

Please tell me this is satire
I can see the hate for slick productions, though I'm kind of a fan of that since I love the production in some Butch Vig stuff like Siamese Dream and Nevermind, though I also love the sound of Paul Westerberg's post-2001 solo albums which were recorded in his basement and sound like it, some of those songs did have a great sound to it (though I did kind of hate the two or 3 songs he had where he ran out of tape and said "fuck it, I'll release the song like that").
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by eGraham
I love most Cream songs, but the way they sound annoys me. I can't really explain it.

Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by willT08
lol@u

i prefer minimal production what's wrong with that?
Quote by So-Cal
i prefer minimal production what's wrong with that?

thinking it retains some mystical 'soul' of the music. As if it survives the trip from the instruments to the amps, through the air, through the mic and through the board - but it's the addition of too many plugins that kills the soul
Quote by theogonia777
I mentioned this in a similar thread this morning, but I really hate the type of ultra slick, squeaky clean production that a lot of modern metal bands, particularly tech death bands like Obscura and "symphonic" metal bands like Dimmu Borgir and Nightwish. Dragonforce and Wintersun are two more examples. They basically take all the grit and punch out of everything to make everything sound crystal clear and totally sterile.

With death metal in particular, it is not pretty music and therefore shouldn't have pretty music production. Like I said, there should be grit and punch in there because that is how the music is and so the production should reflect that.

Again, Tomb of the Mutilated and Effigy of the Forgotten have pretty ideal production for a death metal album. Really, anything that Scott Burns has produced is great. I would go as far to say that he is probably the single greatest death metal producer, and I know that quite a few of the Metal Forum regulars would back me on that one.

At the same time a lot of black metal has atrocious production on purpose and generally it's pretty awful. As far as black metal production goes, it should be a bit cold and harsh and lo-fi but it shouldn't sound like trash. In the Nightside Eclipse really hits the nail with the perfect balance as far as black metal production. Most of the 90s viking metal bands (Falkenbach, Enslaved, Mithotyn, etc) really do a great job with this as well.

Like I said in that other thread, more than anything else the important thing with production is that it fits with the music.

You typed all those words and at no point did you use the term 'dad-rock.' I didn't know you could do that.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Quote by willT08
thinking it retains some mystical 'soul' of the music. As if it survives the trip from the instruments to the amps, through the air, through the mic and through the board - but it's the addition of too many plugins that kills the soul

i don't mean it has a literal soul, maybe a better word would be vibe

but there is definitely a certain quality, that can otherwise be lost, in the retention of imperfections of the original recording
Quote by ryan_nadon
You typed all those words and at no point did you use the term 'dad-rock.' I didn't know you could do that.

wut
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by So-Cal
i don't mean it has a literal soul, maybe a better word would be vibe

but there is definitely a certain quality, that can otherwise be lost, in the retention of imperfections of the original recording

It sounds raw and more aggressive.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
It sounds raw and more aggressive.

well it depends on the style of music and how it was recorded but it certainly sounds more natural
Quote by So-Cal
well it depends on the style of music and how it was recorded but it certainly sounds more natural

You mean, it sounds more like a live gig would?
Quote by Morphogenesis26
You mean, it sounds more like a live gig would?

well not necessarily like a live gig because often time venues will have less than stellar acoustics

but i think if you can retain some sense of being in the recording room then you're doing it right.
Saying "takes the soul out of it" kinda makes you sound like that middle school loser that most of us were at one point
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
i think my favorite production is that comically compressed electro house stuff.
I like a really good analog sounding production.

on the other hand there is stuff like PTH where the band is sick but i want to punch the overproduced sound in the fukin face
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by So-Cal
well not necessarily like a live gig because often time venues will have less than stellar acoustics

but i think if you can retain some sense of being in the recording room then you're doing it right.

Huh. I've never heard of it being described that way.
Page 1 of 5