Any bands here ever used kickstarter to fund their album or anything for that matter? If so how did it go? Any tips?
I can't foresee any way for this thread to not end in a shitstorm.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
All the bands that I personally know failed. If you want some tips for success ask for the bare minimum (if it fails then you get zip) and make the rewards outrageously awesome, lie if you have to. Once you got that money it's yours!
Note I would never do this, I just call em like I see em

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
What. Seriously? Are you not aware that, unless you've already got a successful name out there, you aren't going to get anywhere with kickstarter?
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
My band did an indiegogo campaign, which is basically the same as kickstarter, when we were recording our ep. We budgeted it on making no money, there was no reason for not giving it a shot and any extra money would have been great, but it ended up failing. If your band is considering this go for it but be prepared to fail because that's the overwhelmingly most likely outcome.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
All the bands that I personally know failed. If you want some tips for success ask for the bare minimum (if it fails then you get zip) and make the rewards outrageously awesome, lie if you have to. Once you got that money it's yours!
Note I would never do this, I just call em like I see em

Quote by Black Mustangs
My band did an indiegogo campaign, which is basically the same as kickstarter, when we were recording our ep. We budgeted it on making no money, there was no reason for not giving it a shot and any extra money would have been great, but it ended up failing. If your band is considering this go for it but be prepared to fail because that's the overwhelmingly most likely outcome.

How much did those bands ask for? I've always been curious how it would work out if you used your goal proportionately. Say only asking for $500 (which would be awesome help to an unknown band).
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Quote by Wormholes
No one wants to fund your shitty middle school band OP

yeah
you're a stone fox
Actually I've had a little luck with a paypal donate button on my electronic projects (band I guess of one) tumblr page. It's there forever, and there's no limit or goal.
Thing about Kickstarter is that a campaign is a lot of work. You need to put in a lot of work before you even think about starting the campaign. Then, while the campaign is running, you need to pretty much work full time on it with updates, marketing etc.

It's not to be underestimated, and I've seen wonderful projects from awesome artists simply not get enough attention. Likewise, I've seen terrible art get funded. Bottom line, Kickstarter is a marketing and pre-sale campaign, and should be thought of and treated as such.

I did a Kickstarter not too long ago, to test it out and see how it all works and what would happen, and sure enough, I put up the campaign, sent it out to a couple of people and I raised a grand total of 500$ (3k below my goal), mostly from friends and family. Zero effort put into maintaining the campaign, and everybody could see it.

Also, for some reason people want to see your face in the pitch video. I didn't do that either.
Quote by Rawshik
How much did those bands ask for? I've always been curious how it would work out if you used your goal proportionately. Say only asking for $500 (which would be awesome help to an unknown band).

We asked for $2000, which was a little ambitious... at the most we were hoping for around $500-600 though, because indiegogo does allow you to keep the money if you fail, you just have to pay a higher percentage as fees.
Quote by Rawshik

They asked for $20,000 to make their first album and got to $3,300. This was very much a small-time garage band and they broke up shortly after not reaching the goal, and the prizes were stupid stuff like $5 for a sticker, $10 for a digital download, $40 for a CD and TWO stickers, $90 for "signed drumsticks"...

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.