Hey folks,

I'm in the market for a $500-$600 max acoustic guitar- I do have requirements but I can get to that later. I went to a shop to play a Guild GAD40c and Blueridge160ce guitars that everyone's been raving about, but the only guitar that spoke to me was a Seagull Maritime SWS! Man was this thing beautiful. It just felt so smooth and solid, and the notes popped out of that instrument better than anything I played that day....

So I wanted to buy it... but there's a problem. You see, the Maritimes feature a 1.8" nut width. With my hands being so small and the neck being so thick, the guitar was a bit uncomfortable to play. I looked on the Seagull website and it appears as if Seagull does NOT make a Maritime SWS CW in the slimmer neck profile... Does this mean I'll have to settle for the Coastline series or the Entourage series(both have the cherry back/sides) to score a Seagull CW with a spruce top and a 1.72" nut width? I was really looking forward to finding an all solid wood Seagull with a slimmer neck profile in my price range.

Thanks in advance to those who take the time to read this post.

Zucky
Yeah that's so unfortunate- a cutaway is pretty much a must for me. I'm 100% okay with purchasing used- Any idea if Seagull made them in the past?
Well Zucky, what you're asking is a statistically stupid question. I'm not saying that to be rude, but rather to make you aware of (what I perceive to be), market conditions.

First, Patti likes Seagulls because they haven't embraced 1 11/16" neck widths, which is more or less the industry standard on acoustics.

Second, you have simply narrowed the market down to maybe one or two specific items, which may, or may not have been produced in the first place.

Third, I expect that Seagull, and even its Godin parent companies and subsidiaries aren't the biggest selling guitars on the planet. There are probably Ibanez, Yamaha, Fender, Guild, and perhaps even Martin or Gibson models in the used market in greater abundance that all the Godin products combined.

Fourth, people are probably seeking out Seagull etc., because of their wide necks, not in spite of them. It's a bit more sophisticated than many mainstream lines, and they're catering to a greater percentage of finger style players than perhaps many other makers.

Fifth, and perhaps most important, with a market window as narrow as you've created, it's pretty unlikely that the sale of one of these (perhaps hypothetical) guitars, will coincide with your timeline to purchase.

God knows I sympathize, and actually suffer worse at the hands of these types of conditions, since I'm left handed, and play left handed. You should try that, and then try to get exactly the guitar you have your heart set on, especially in the used market.

But, I'm a known and hardened pessimist, and to my way of looking at the world, very unlucky to boot.

So, I wish you good luck in your search for one very unique and specialized Seagull model, but also advise you not to get your hopes up too high.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 1, 2013,
Try checking out some other guitars, Takamine, and Yamaha make some decent cutaways. Or try Simon and Patrick(owned by Godin as well). They all make a bunch of cutaways in your price range with the standard nut width. Or see if you can rent the seagull to try out, maybe the wider neck just takes some getting used to, lots of people with small hands play classical guitar(and the neck is wider than a seagull).

Anyways.............have fun looking.
I bought the Seagull Maritime SWS Creme Brulee CW GT QI Acoustic-Electric Guitar about 2 months ago, after playing my 40 year old Yamaha classical nylon string guitar for 9 months (I took up guitar again after 30 yr hiatus). I play folk/country/fingerstyle and am VERY happy with both the sound and the playability of the SWS (and the pickup for the occasional local open mic events). I tried about 5 other guitars at the local shop, took a lesson with the Seagull, and that was the decider.

However, I have a somewhat largish hand for a gal, so that, and having re-learned on a wide classical neck, have found the SWS a great size for me (had borrowed a standard-sized Guild from a friend to test out playing steel strings, and found that quite narrow). Good luck in your search. Happy playing, wherever you land.
@Captain- Although I appreciate your thought-out and well punctuated response, I was a little insulted at your first sentence further proving to me that it is near impossible to post a question of any topic on this forum without my intelligence being questioned or insulted. A simple "No" would have sufficed like your second response. Anyways, a quick look at your profile which is cluttered with forum users quite unhappy with what looks to be similar responses by you lead me to not take your response too seriously. No worries there!

@ghobby- Thanks for the response. You know, I had heard of Simon and Patrick a few years ago when I was in the market but I forgot about them. I wonder how the materials and craftsmanship (which I assume to be identical) compare to Seagull? Maybe I should make a forum post about it...

@NannoNanny- You gave me more confidence in trying out the wider nut width and if the neck is too thick in back, some sandpaper should do the trick.

@Disco monkey- Go away. The fact that you know what that looks like is total ******ry.
Quote by zucky22389
@Captain- Although I appreciate your thought-out and well punctuated response, I was a little insulted at your first sentence further proving to me that it is near impossible to post a question of any topic on this forum without my intelligence being questioned or insulted. A simple "No" would have sufficed like your second response. Anyways, a quick look at your profile which is cluttered with forum users quite unhappy with what looks to be similar responses by you lead me to not take your response too seriously. No worries there!

My son said to me," there's plenty of people in the world who are just looking for the opportunity to be offended". I joined UG just to see what he was talking about. He was 100% correct in that assessment

As far as my profile page goes. One thing you can rest assured about, very few people you ever help will leave an encouraging response. I figure many of those individuals have joined because they needed support, they've gotten what they want, and it's time to move on. I'm good with that, I didn't join because I need help myself, need any from you, or was looking for thank you letters.

BTW, I usually do take the time to "type out a well thought out response". I suppose they're not always perfect. That said, do you think I should cut those down to one line useless , even unrelated opinions?

Also, keep in mind I have in excess of 4,000 posts. That makes the hate mail percentage very low.

As far as my response goes, take it anyway you choose. It's the only one you'll ever get. One and done, that's what it's like when you get old....

I'm done now, and being an old codger, it's time to listen to my, "60's album du jour". I think I'll make today's winner, The Moody Blues, "In Search of the Lost Chord".
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 4, 2013,
I usually tend to write back to anyone who bothers to read my post and take the time to respond back because I have quite a lot of respect for this forum and others. At least you didn't reference a whale p3n1s in your post. Take it easy.
Okay so I spontaneously purchased a Seagull Maritime Mahogany CW GC QIT for what I thought was a steal. I had a few hundred dollars just burning in my pockets... Anyways, the more I looked at the guitar, the more I realized it isn't like the current line of Maritimes (You can't currently get a CW maritime). For example: I learned the "GC" portion of it's title denotes "Guitar Center"- the guitar was sold exclusively by the company a few years back and I believe this particular guitar was built back in 2003. I spent a while on various internet searches looking for specs on this exclusive guitar center version Maritime but I couldn't find anything. I have a hunch the back and sides aren't solid Mahogany like the current Maritimes are... =( If anyone has any information, let me know. I should be able to post a picture in the next few days.
HNGD zucky. i'm not familiar with that model. i've only owned 1 seagull.
having spent a lot of time in the US military, i've learned to respect Cranky's advice and the way it is delivered. he's usually correct as he takes a lot of time to research his response( he likes whale phallus' by the way). he does tell you what you NEED to hear versus what you WANT to hear.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
And- going by his name- believes in truth in advertising.

Oh yeah- HNGD!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!