Page 1 of 4
I don't know why there hasn't been a thread about the new show about everyone's favorite cannibal, but I'm not okay with it. And as such, I created this thread for the very discussion of it.
this house is bitchin
silly man, elephants don't go on the Alps
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Masquirina
Update your phone image stuuuuuuuufff.

Well first there's a picture of hannibal's march on rome.

Then there's a black comedian making a horrible airplane cocaine joke, and an asian dude crying uncontrollably at the terrible punchline.

Then there's someone who looks like Wayne Brady complaining about Iron and Wine.

Finally, a dancing black man offers to console the asian kid with chicken wings, on the condition that he catches them before it's too late.

you have the opposite problem of people who think black people all look the same

I've been wondering why there hasn't been a thread yet.

Granted, the show's not exactly pulling amazing ratings, but it's also one of the best things on network TV right now. Not that it has much competition, but still.
I think the show is a crappy idea, although the guy that plays hannibal is fantastic in other movies. Loved him in Adam's appels.

I really want them to make a decent movie/show about Hannibal the General though.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I can't help but think the reason why there hasn't been a thread already is because hardly anyone watches it.

Mads Mikkelsen is possibly a better Hannibal than Anthony Hopkins. And I'm not just talking about the later movies, either, where he really hammed it up.
I'm really liking this show, Mads is amazing as hannibal and everyone else is pretty good. I can see why people would think Will Graham's deduction/crime scene visualisation is a little gimmicky and far fetched but it's more interesting than simply having another procedural drama 'postulating-how-they-did-it' scene.
OUT OF ORDER
Ok I've decided to give his show a chance. Watching it now, can't become a disaster like Game of Thrones.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I watched two eps and then kinda forgot about it. I might start watching again after this season of GOT is over though.
Love Mads, hate Hugh. He just so plain and lame, I get what he's trying to portray with the kinda reverse Asperger's over empathetic yadda yadda, but he just looks like a clueless muck staring into space all the time.
Quote by whywefight
This man speaks truth and has a beastly username.

Quote by Saint78
you are a beautiful person.
Quote by SwaggleyKubrick
Love Mads, hate Hugh. He just so plain and lame, I get what he's trying to portray with the kinda reverse Asperger's over empathetic yadda yadda, but he just looks like a clueless muck staring into space all the time.

Agree. God what a bad cast.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Total badass general who shouldn't have let his bosses push him around and stop him from curb stomping rome.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Finished watching the season. It got better and better as the season developed and the characters settled in. Sad that we have to wait for another year untill we know whether Will will get back at Lector.

I think this is relevant, so beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=124omFd5ioQ
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Jun 21, 2013,
I like the show. I'm surprised it isn't doing better than it currently is. Mads is really good as Hannibal.
Quote by daytripper75
I like the show. I'm surprised it isn't doing better than it currently is. Mads is really good as Hannibal.

Hopefully word'll get around in the wait for the next season and people will start watching repeats/torrents/DVDs and tune in for the next season. A bit like GOT.
OUT OF ORDER
I guess I'm a fan of the gruesome theatrics and the acting, but there seems to be an underlying emptiness about the show that I can't quite place. I think it might be because most of the characters are rather unlikeable, if I'm to be frank.
Quote by TooktheAtrain
I guess I'm a fan of the gruesome theatrics and the acting, but there seems to be an underlying emptiness about the show that I can't quite place. I think it might be because most of the characters are rather unlikeable, if I'm to be frank.

Gruesome? That's quite harsh.

I think all the characters have this quite empty feeling. Hannibal as the sole psychopath, Will barely connects to the real world, Jack is left out of his marriage. I think all the characters are literally feeling quite empty.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Damn that last episode was awesome.

Like, right after episode 6 finished I was like "Huh? Did Hannibal dun goofed?"
Oh no.....goofed he dun not.

I didn't really watch much of the 1st season (just enough to follow the story), but damn this 2nd season is awesome so far.
I've been watching every episode but I'm still not sure how I feel about this show.
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
This better not become another Firefly.

Mads is a really great actor. The perfect Hannibal. Dare I say better than Anthony Hopkins?
Quote by metal4eva_22
This better not become another Firefly.

Mads is a really great actor. The perfect Hannibal. Dare I say better than Anthony Hopkins?

No you daren't. The show is made well but i have a problem with the fact that the only remnant of Silence of the Lambs at this point is the gore.
Mads is easily a better Hannibal than Hopkins.

^you do realize there's other source material for this show than SotL? And there's such a thing as creative license?

Anyways, surprised this show isn't better liked in this thread. Best show on network tv, maybe tv in general.
Last episode was crazy...

It was also hilarious.

SPOILERS FOR Naka-Choko-waka-paka or whatever

LOL at Hannibal and Will joking about eating a poor womans flesh at the table, like if this was some twisted episode of Friends:

*Hannibal is at his *******. Will enters the scene and hands him an envelope with meat"

Hannibal: "Veal? ... Pork perhaps?"
Will: "She was a slim, and delicate pig"
*cue laughing track*
Hannibal: "I'll make you a <gibberish french dish or something>. We'll make it together"
Hannibal: "You slice a ginger?"
*cue laughing track*
*cue catchy soundtrack and end episode*

Though, the show is making it very ambiguous if Will is faking everything and is manipulating Hannibal, or if he actually went insane.
For instance, maybe when he caught Freddie, he just put her inside and explained his whole plan to her, then gave her a ticket to Spain or something so she can hide for a month or two. I think this might be the most likely thing that happened....though I'm intrigued by this "murder buddies" thing that is developing lol
I dislike will's transformation, but given the way this series has developed it was inevitable.Will has become Hannibal and Hannibal knows it. The only way this can turn out ok is if will snaps out of it.

^
The scenes for next week show a burning body in a wheelchair driving off a slope. Exactly how Freddy died in red Dragon, I wouldn't have too much hope if I were you. Will has replaced his lost self with the wrong persona.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Then the burning thing in the weelchair is someone else? They do change things, like killing Chilton.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
^Chilton does die. He dies after the pig guy.

It's pretty obvious that Will is playing Hannibal. Remember his talk with Jack on hooking a fish that isn't hungry? Will is giving Hannibal what he wants, making the bait just too desirable. What isn't so obvious is whether or not Hannibal knows he's getting played.

Also when Will, Hannibal and Dr. Bloom were sitting down for dinner Will was subtly trying to warn Dr. Bloom.

I'm guessing that by the end of this season Hannibal is going to end up in jail and we're going to get a Red Dragon/Silence of the Lambs-esque season next. If there is a next season. Friday night is a terrible timeslot for such a great show.
Quote by metal4eva_22
^Chilton does die. He dies after the pig guy.

I just said he died...

Quote by metal4eva_22
It's pretty obvious that Will is playing Hannibal. Remember his talk with Jack on hooking a fish that isn't hungry? Will is giving Hannibal what he wants, making the bait just too desirable. What isn't so obvious is whether or not Hannibal knows he's getting played.

It looked like Will was playing him, but then will went all Ripper on the beast boy... that went far beyond baiting hannibal.

Quote by metal4eva_22
I'm guessing that by the end of this season Hannibal is going to end up in jail and we're going to get a Red Dragon/Silence of the Lambs-esque season next. If there is a next season. Friday night is a terrible timeslot for such a great show.

3 episodes left, so we must be getting close to the Jack - Hannibal fight. After that Hannibal will be in jail I suppose.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11

3 episodes left, so we must be getting close to the Jack - Hannibal fight. After that Hannibal will be in jail I suppose.

Or Jack ends up on the dinner table...

I mean that's unlikely given the source material, but you never know.
Quote by Neo Evil11
I think the show is a crappy idea, although the guy that plays hannibal is fantastic in other movies. Loved him in Adam's appels.

I really want them to make a decent movie/show about Hannibal the General though.

What?? Other countries know about Adam's Apples? Hah. Thought nobody watched Danish movies in general :-D But yeah, Mads Mikkelsen is a brilliant actor. We have a few actors breaking through in hollywood now, which is nice to see. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime in Game of Thrones) and a few others (not too well known i guess )

Hannibal is a fantastic show suffering from very low ratings, so there probably aren't a lot of people watching it here on UG.. Would surprise me.

It is probably the most intelligent drama show on TV right now, and one of the best show's I've seen for a long long time. The performances are absolutely amazing, and it keeps on getting better. Sadly, they are in a bad place right now, since they don't know if they are going to renew it for a 3rd season.

It gets amazing reviews, but like i said, the ratings are bad.. It's like my favorite show Community. Such a great show and it gets amazing reviews, it's incredibly original and the funniest comedy show i've EVER seen (i don't throw this stuff around easily as I'm a real lover of TV and Cinema), it's rolling on floor laughing in tears funny, touching, with a weird cast of loveable characters once you get to know them (like end of first to second season, you really start loving them all. Even the ones that you thought were weird), and it is sooo intelligent and like i said, original.. However, bad ratings are getting the best of these shows..

It's a damn shame. Community is to comedy TV right now, what Hannibal is to Drama tv right now. Hands down best in class, but not enough people know about them.

So if you haven't watched either Community or Hannibal (you need to give them both 3 episodes to REALLY catch on), GO WATCH THEM NOW. And Then come back to this thread and discuss the awesome Hannibal.. And make a thread for Community
There's only one boss I listen to, and that's why I'm unemployed.
Hannibal ratings aren't that bad really.

Also in the Netherlands we do occasionally watc h Scandinavian, German and French movies. At least if you aren't plebs.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
It is "obvious" Will is playing Hannibal. What is not obvious is if he is getting too much into it while doing so. I mean, he can always tell himself "Yeah, I'll kill that bear guy just to please Hannibal, it was all planned!". But if by doing so he feels the rush of murder and starts feeling pleasure of doing so, then he can't just use that as an excuse.
That is basically what the "issue" is with Will right now, whether he's believing his own "story" or not.

Though...yeah it's unlikely Freddie is dead. Unless Will would think killing her would make him a better "bait" for Hannibal, sort of speak (for example because he may know Hannibal would know the ruse is up if Freddy still lives).
Page 1 of 4