Page 1 of 2
if you actually learn music and write what you hear in your head you won't have any problem saying 'i want this masturbatory muck to be more melodic'

you say a couple good things but the playing is annoying, your tone is stuck in the 80s (in a bad way), and honestly it's pointless to try and teach soloing because soloing really isn't the focal point of the guitar education (as much as tom hess might disagree)

i'd be more worried about creating a curriculum teaching harmony, rhythm, and the fundamentals rather than a lesson about the "subtleties" of how you run up and down lame scale licks trying to be different

and goddamnit your tone. what is wrong with you i can't listen to this tone anymore.
modes are a social construct
if you actually learn music and write what you hear in your head you won't have any problem saying 'i want this masturbatory muck to be more melodic'

Too true. You have to train your ear. You should be able to play pretty much anything you hear. Then the rest is up to you... you either choose melody or you don't choose melody. I think it is mostly a free will thing after you get your 10thousand hours in.
I'm confused as to how you dissecting what you did at the beginning is helpful to anyone else's soloing. But that's just me.
It wasn't my intention to teach 'it all' in this one video. Obviously harmony, rhythm, and all those fundamentals are crucial. This was meant for intermediate players who might be stuck in the "I have to play faster and more technical than the next guy to be respected" mentality. I show how you can take just a few licks and repeat them in different ways, each way sounding a little different and coinciding with the background chord progression in different ways. To sum it all up "doing more with less". For the record, I wasn't trying to make the best guitar lesson video ever...just adding my perspective
the way you talk and play in this video, you're still an intermediate (read: beginner) guitarist in that mentality. just because you bend and add "off" notes doesn't make it any better.

but it's okay, malmsteen's built his whole career off that and he's doing pretty well.
Quote by Hail
the way you talk and play in this video, you're still an intermediate (read: beginner) guitarist in that mentality. just because you bend and add "off" notes doesn't make it any better.

but it's okay, malmsteen's built his whole career off that and he's doing pretty well.

Well aren't you a charming individual
Quote by :-D
isn't this just advertising like when you put the link to your blog post here a couple weeks ago

It's not like you have to pay to view my site or anything...I just enjoy writing blogs about music topics and occasionally making videos. I post them here because I like to start productive conversations about these topics, what's the harm in that?
there's no harm in it, i'm not saying that because this offends me on a personal level or anything or i feel it shouldn't be here

if i remember correctly the other one got locked so i figured this one might be destined for the same fate
there's no harm in it, i'm not saying that because this offends me on a personal level or anything or i feel it shouldn't be here

if i remember correctly the other one got locked so i figured this one might be destined for the same fate

Yeah, the video does seem like it'd be advertising, which is against the rules. I would PM a mod and ask about it, TS.
I find this area of guitar playing very interesting.
From personal experience I suggest the following tips.
1: learn to sing.
(take it in a structured way, I.e start with basics and build up slowly.)

2:Build a repertoire of lead sheets, ( by this I mean the standards in the jazz,blues,rock and real books.
Also classical pieces for flute or violin.) We tend to focus on technical stuff in electric guitar notation. I am not convinced trying to learning to sight read the rhythmic displacement and grouping of a hendrix solo is vital to melodic guitar playing.

3:aural skill and theory, all the areas that around the playing of the guitar but are easily overlooked.
if you become half as good at theory and aural awareness as you are at playing then your playing will be become more melodic, becuase you will be able to place the notes into a piece of music with awareness and reason.

4: this kind of ties in with number 3, but think of your melody as part of the chemistry of the chords.

so if you play the notes e g and a over the following chords :

Am|F|G|G|

then you could think that you are in fact making the progression into :

|Am7|Fmaj9|G6/9|G6/9| and if you don't like the effect of each chord then you can tweak your notes accordingly. (i kind of feel this delves more into harmony. but it is something that i find very interesting.)
I chose to read this thread instead of watching a video and glad I did. Until I read this:
Quote by Hail

You ignorant bastard! You heartless, cruel psychopath! Malmsteen widdled cos he could. It's not his fault others decided to apply his speed and soloing strategies to their songs. He's a damn good musician and is not in the beginner or intermediate category. He spawned a generation of guitarists that simply kick butt today... whoever they may be.

Ever heard the guy do Hendrix? HFS!!! He kicks ass. Repent now you blasphemer
Quote by ibanez1511
4: this kind of ties in with number 3, but think of your melody as part of the chemistry of the chords.

so if you play the notes e g and a over the following chords :

Am|F|G|G|

then you could think that you are in fact making the progression into :

|Am7|Fmaj9|G6/9|G6/9| and if you don't like the effect of each chord then you can tweak your notes accordingly. (i kind of feel this delves more into harmony. but it is something that i find very interesting.)

I think this is a very overlooked area by many intermediate/beginner players. One thing I do, especially lead passages over a rhythm in a verse or chorus riff is examine every chord/note and see how the lead notes will work with the riff. Oftentimes, it works out very well, but other times it creates undesirable dissonance, which requires me to change notes.

Point is, choose every note carefully and examine it in context of the overall harmony.

It's interesting how often this simple aspect is overlooked.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 30, 2013,
Quote by evolucian
I chose to read this thread instead of watching a video and glad I did. Until I read this:

You ignorant bastard! You heartless, cruel psychopath! Malmsteen widdled cos he could. It's not his fault others decided to apply his speed and soloing strategies to their songs. He's a damn good musician and is not in the beginner or intermediate category. He spawned a generation of guitarists that simply kick butt today... whoever they may be.

Ever heard the guy do Hendrix? HFS!!! He kicks ass. Repent now you blasphemer

Dork.
evo you're my favorite
Quote by Erc
I consider rising force to be one of the best 80s albums of all time =\

@Evo:
Is your name Tom Hess, Jr.?
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

@Evo:

i hope you die really painfully
Making a solo more melodic? How about, I dunno, adding melody. I mean, it's in the damn word.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

@Evo:

Didn't know I had to be a Hessian to like Malmsteen Never quite liked Hess at all, neither Joe Stump. But I do like Vinnie Moore and Tony MacAlpine, along with Malmsteen of course. Malmsteen has a beautiful vibrato. Hess does not.
I don't mean to go off topic, however, I personally disagree with the 'You have to be more melodic' attitude. Really, you should study what you like to hear in a solo and why you like to hear it, so you can enjoy your own playing more. I honestly find the playing of players like Luca Turilli, Jani Liimatainen and similar players more melodic than the 80s bend-fests that some people seem to love. I personally don't like the way that lessons are put forward to get people playing with melody, which usually means 'Moar bendz lol', I think it puts pressure on guitarists who don't want to play like that, and that's a problem.
I'm gonna weigh in here, and if the majority of you hate me after this, I'm okay with that, but I hope one of you here is able to understand what I am saying.

Number one, I'm disgusted. My we have such a "pack" mentality here, and this gang up and be a complete tool on the new guy is really unfortunate. It's like you caught the smell of blood, and just tore away and helped to dismantle everything the guy was trying to do.

A mod banned this guy, and I'm not about to challenge the discretionary powers of a Mod. It's a hard job and you can't please everyone.

But what I did, was watch the video. It's unfortunate, because he actually shared something of value here. Maybe not to you, but maybe to someone else he did. As a teacher, this guy did a pretty good job aside from some faux pa's like calling the bvi chord a "Minor 6 chord", and a couple of others. But, by and large, he delivered what the header said. It wasn't really fluff at all, it was one guys suggestion as to how to break up soloing to be more melodic, and he included his back thinking. There were/are things of value to this video.

That's the unfortunate part, he had something to offer, there was a value to his sharing, that was not mere fluff. I've seen a hell of a lot more fluff videos that actually regurgitate the exact same generic thing that every other "teaching video does".

There are subjects that have been done, and no longer need to be redone to death. We don't need yet another "How to play the Root Pentatonic Minor scale".

As a teacher I saw his link, but I'd argue that because the content had equity to it, that it's fine. You see, we NEED people in this forum that will contribute USEFUL stuff here. And, when you run a guy like that OFF, you missed the point. The guy actually knows what he's doing, he explained it well, and he even touched upon chord tone soloing.

For those who complained about his tone, and leads and wanted to argue against the philosophical concepts of melody and lead playing, and become elite and say "why dont you just...." you missed the point of the video. There was benefit to the idea. He actually covered and explained it well, aside from a few vernacular blunders, such as I've outlined below.

As a teacher when I view a video, I look at it with an open mind and critical eye. If you presume to teach, teach. If you are communicating value, bring value. I've seen far worse in National Publications, almost every time, with much more hyperbole and marketing.

This video taught a viable approach, and like he said, he can't cover it all, but what he did show, was legit, and it wasn't a rehash. So, compared to what a lot of you actually bring to this forum, which is ego, and elitist, this guy contributed more, regardless of whether he was posting to showcase his subject matter knowledge, which I think it did.

Attacking his tone, his style, all of that, was just lame. Countering with elitist upper level snobbish remarks, that one that has a full understanding has, missed the point. Opening it into a debate about Artists like YM is beyond lame.

If anyone reading this picks one thing up, I hope it's this...when someone is adding something positive and helpful, to this place, it's wrong to run them out of town and lynch him and tear him to shreds. I watched his message, and from my standpoint, he delivered. There was value added to the posts in this forum today, and it got run out, and y'all attacked the messenger. If you've known me, since I've been here, I don't pull punches and mince words, and I'm passionate about what I do here. It's not for the money.

If someone is legit and has something of value in what they share, I think that getting rid of him, and deriding the content, and attacking the messenger, diminishes the value of this place as a whole.

I hope that stops.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at May 31, 2013,
why was he banned exactly, was this spammed in a bunch of forums or something
Quote by Sean0913
A mod banned this guy, and I'm not about to challenge the discretionary powers of a Mod.

alright i guess i will then

as i indicated in my posts in this thread, was this considered advertising? if so, and if that's the reason for his being banned, i'd argue that the completely rigid definition of "advertising" and ensuing disciplinary action are both nonsensical
Last edited by :-D at May 31, 2013,
why was he banned exactly, was this spammed in a bunch of forums or something

alright i guess i will then

as i indicated in my posts in this thread, was this considered advertising? if so, and if that's the reason for his being banned, i'd argue that the completely rigid definition of "advertising" and ensuing disciplinary action is are both nonsensical

If the mods are still willing to play by the rules, this poster should be given access to the "Forum of the Banned" to plead his case. Fair is fair, and those are the rules but, sometimes someone gets a bug up their behind, and won't grant that access.

I expect that some limited time members may not be willing or interested in going through that procedure.

Keep in mind though, FOTB, is of mods, run by mods, and adjudicated by mods.
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 31, 2013,
And I'd argue that the idea of "intent" is debatable and arbitary. I'f you put you hands over your ears and say "lalalalalala" and just look at the 3 seconds on his screen, then zero in on that, magnify it, then yeah, all you're going to see is "advertising".

But if you look at the post of the OP which he says his intent was " get other people's perspective and philosophy of how (in certain situations) you shred less, and make you guitar sing!" And you listen and watch the video and the content, and its all congruent with the stated aims.

EITHER

You believe that, and listen and respond to that or...

You say "Nah, you're a liar, this is all just advertising". And if you do that, then I think youre reaching and over governing, especially considering the fact that he delivered on all elements, of the premise. Thus it was content that had community value.

Point aside, this isn't towards the mods, they can operate how they wish. It's to the MOB of elitists that attacked him, read into things and didn't engage him one bit as to why he said he posted.

Best,

Sean
The real secret to this is understanding intervals in and out and how they function against different chords. You should also understand resolution and tension. That is how definitely how to make it sound more MELODIC. You should be fully aware a lot of times of the intervals you are playing over chords and also try to follow the chords to a large degree. It worked for me.

Of course melody is really just a pleasing succession of notes. So, if you took my approach, which I guarantee will work, you are really developing the ability to speak musically in a pleasing way. You can really tell the people who understand this by obviously listening to them. Marty Friedman in melodic control best explains what I am talking about, you can check it out on youtube.
Last edited by Unreal T at May 31, 2013,
The ban is probably simply due to promoting a video. Regardless of content or intent creating a thread to promote ones own blog, website or video is a warnable/bannable action. Some mods will forego a warnng initially and just ask for a thread to be moved, but as far as the site rules go we should be warning or ban for it, there's just that many users who have lesson sites etc that there's no choice but to have a zero tolerance policy.

Content like this can be submitted as a lesson, the mods are only human and we don't always have the time or, to be honest, the inclination to PM every user who breaks this rule and explain everything - chances are if someone is genuine and wants to get involved in the community and not just promote themselves we can clear it up in the FOTB. Sometimes we just have to make a judgement call, and if it looks like someone has little intention of contributing then we may indeed jsut ban them - however the FOTB is always there as a communications channel if there's been a misunderstanding.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
...[ ]....Content like this can be submitted as a lesson, the mods are only human and we don't always have the time or, to be honest, the inclination to PM every user who breaks this rule and explain everything - chances are if someone is genuine and wants to get involved in the community and not just promote themselves we can clear it up in the FOTB. Sometimes we just have to make a judgement call, and if it looks like someone has little intention of contributing then we may indeed jsut ban them - however the FOTB is always there as a communications channel if there's been a misunderstanding.
I'm mostly on board with, "ban first, and ask questions later", as long as the FOTB is accessible.

The trouble with what happened here is, the TS in question received such poor treatment by the membership in general, which may have squelched any honest desire on his part to work towards contributing or even reinstatement.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 1, 2013,
meh from what i remember FOTB was basically bored spammers and mods making fun of people and not giving a lot of straight answers

i didn't even get an email or any indication of why i'd been banned

not that i mind cause i had it coming but it's still a little bizarre
Page 1 of 2