So thinking of purchasing this little bad boy.
Since it's exclusively USB midi controller, do you think there are any type of cables/adapters that can turn it's USB out into a midi out to connect to a midi gear that doesn't have a USB input. It's not very iportant for me right now and I don't think I go anywhere without my laptop, and for midi out I have my other keyboard that has midi thru from the computer (hooked with a USB cable).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Arturia-MINILAB-Mini-Hybrid-Keyboard-Controller-108747924-i2942371.gc

PS. also has anybody actually tried this?
Yep, that stuff is readily available. I had an adapter that came with an old M-Audio board, and I have used it plenty for that sort of connection. I'm sure you can find a USB-Midi adapter for a few bucks on ebay/amazon/anywhere really.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Why not an M-Audio Axion?

Just asking.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
^My guess is the free sample library but I'd still go for the Axiom
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Actually the price is the keyword here. axiom 25 starts at 200 bux right?

while axiom air mini is 99$ same as arturia, arturia has 16 encoders which is A LOT for a small controller. Also if I'm not mistaken, Air mini has 8 knobs, not encoders. This also has a touch strips for modulation and pitch, Air mini has only buttons. I guess Arturia is as goo as it can get for just 100 bux.

Quote by Sid McCall
Yep, that stuff is readily available. I had an adapter that came with an old M-Audio board, and I have used it plenty for that sort of connection. I'm sure you can find a USB-Midi adapter for a few bucks on ebay/amazon/anywhere really.

I think those are something else. like you'd plug your exlusively MIDI item to your computer with those. they convert the midi output from your keyboard to a usb jack to go into your computer. I'm looking for something that turns USB jack from your keyboard into MIDI jack into another midi device
Er...pretty sure it has a hardware MIDI output as well as USB.

I think Sid misunderstood your question....although there are tons of cheap MIDI > USB converters out there I doubt there's anything that does USB > MIDI. It's be a pretty expensive, niche product. Apart from anything else, different gear handles MIDI over USB differently to others.
Oh, I see what you mean now. So you'd want to run midi out of one keyboard via USB and then into another keyboard's midi-in or midi-thru port. That's not something I'm familiar with, but it's not impossible either.

Then again, I have my midi adapter that goes from USB to a midi in/out hub, so maybe using one of those could work? You'd just have to replace the flat-usb to trapezoid-usb (I forget the real names) with a trapezoid-to-trapezoid cable, which must exist. Does that make sense?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Just make sure to check the reviews on those converters. Watch out for latency issues. There can be some very annoying latency with MIDI, using ASIO helps...not sure how all of that works with a USB converter. I would think it would be the same.

That looks like a nice little board. What do you plan on using it for? Those knobs will be nice if you get any sort of Arturia synth program since all of the old Jupiter8, Prophet 5 etc had tons of buttons to play with. Using the mouse sucks.

Small keyboard though if you are trying to do anything other than one line leads and non-octave bass. Velocity sensitivity is really cool, especially with synths that have that capability.
Last edited by bigblockelectra at Jun 20, 2013,
Quote by Sid McCall
Oh, I see what you mean now. So you'd want to run midi out of one keyboard via USB and then into another keyboard's midi-in or midi-thru port. That's not something I'm familiar with, but it's not impossible either.

Then again, I have my midi adapter that goes from USB to a midi in/out hub, so maybe using one of those could work? You'd just have to replace the flat-usb to trapezoid-usb (I forget the real names) with a trapezoid-to-trapezoid cable, which must exist. Does that make sense?

What I actually thought, but figured out I should still ask.

Quote by Sid McCall

Alright, that seems to make sense. But to make sure, can you give me your USB adapter hub thingy's link? I'm pretty sure that's the only missing image in the puzzle that prevents it from making a sense

Quote by bigblockelectra
Just make sure to check the reviews on those converters. Watch out for latency issues. There can be some very annoying latency with MIDI, using ASIO helps...not sure how all of that works with a USB converter. I would think it would be the same.

That looks like a nice little board. What do you plan on using it for? Those knobs will be nice if you get any sort of Arturia synth program since all of the old Jupiter8, Prophet 5 etc had tons of buttons to play with. Using the mouse sucks.

Small keyboard though if you are trying to do anything other than one line leads and non-octave bass. Velocity sensitivity is really cool, especially with synths that have that capability.

The reason I'm getting this is causeI ahve a 3 octave full sized synth style midi controller. Got 8 knobs, 8 faders, etc. it's pretty good and I like the feel of it too. It's just got a small range (and I dont have a horizontal place for a longer keyboard right now) which makes keyswitching on many Kontakt libraries impossible. Getting an extension keyboard that's just for keyswitching sounds good to me.

the second reason is for carrying it around in my backpack and being able to lay down some melodies and even chords in my DAW non-real-time anywhere.

third reason is getting the pads and 4th is using the knobs. I do really hate working with a mouse and working with controllers does make it that much more joyful (also helps me to put out much better work).

I was originally considering Akai MPK but seems like this is a better piece (mainly for the 16 knobs) and it's also made out of metal which makes it much more solid than Akai.

PS. thanks for the input. much appreciated everyone
Ah, whoops! That would be this guy on top:
[img[http://www.keymusic.com/gfx_productcode/XL/96691/2/M-Audio-Mid-Air.jpg
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/m-audio-midair-wireless-midi-transmitter-and-receiver-system
I think the bottom one is a transmitter for wireless stuff, my keyboard had that built in.

I don't even know if these are still available, I highly doubt it, but maybe you can find something with the same ports on it and make it work. Besides, you don't need the wireless capabilities by any means.

Try something like this? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/m-audio-usb-midisport-1x1-midi-interface

Just get cables that make everything connect, however you need to adapt the USB end. If it doesn't work, then return it!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Last edited by Sid McCall at Jun 21, 2013,
Just be clear....USB devices aren't analog, they don't just 'work backwards'. Those little interfaces are designed to do one job only....take a MIDI signal and send it across USB.

Apart from anything else, the USB port in the keyboard is very unlikely to be providing the 5V DC power that USB devices need to operate.

On the plus side, there is a universal standard for MIDI over USB. Without power that won't help much though.

Basically...go buy a different MIDI controller with the features you need. It's a shame, because that Arturia looks so much classier than the usual plastic crap in that price range.

The Alesis Q49 should give you good bang for the buck. Behringer UMX250 is decent too.
Quote by kyle62
Just be clear....USB devices aren't analog, they don't just 'work backwards'. Those little interfaces are designed to do one job only....take a MIDI signal and send it across USB.

Apart from anything else, the USB port in the keyboard is very unlikely to be providing the 5V DC power that USB devices need to operate.

On the plus side, there is a universal standard for MIDI over USB. Without power that won't help much though.

Basically...go buy a different MIDI controller with the features you need. It's a shame, because that Arturia looks so much classier than the usual plastic crap in that price range.

The Alesis Q49 should give you good bang for the buck. Behringer UMX250 is decent too.

thanks so apparently there's non at the moment.

I could try the other ports but rewiring the cables and stuff is not the problem, the problem is I'll be buying from outside the US and I won't be able to return the things without superhigh price on shipping.

As for the Arturia, I think I'll still be buying it. Midi is not my first concern and as such I don't even remember a single day where I had a midi synth module and a midi controller without a computer around.
The nice thing about the Arturia is if you are using Arturia software )my favorite soft synths) the knobs and everything are already linked to the software. I guess this is more of a plus on the bigger keyboards they make.

Personally I'd try to find something like a CZ-101 online for cheap and learn to program with it and also use it for midi as well. Then save up and buy a real nice board.
Quote by FireHawk
The nice thing about the Arturia is if you are using Arturia software )my favorite soft synths) the knobs and everything are already linked to the software. I guess this is more of a plus on the bigger keyboards they make.

Personally I'd try to find something like a CZ-101 online for cheap and learn to program with it and also use it for midi as well. Then save up and buy a real nice board.

yeah that's a plus but to be honest I dont find it that hard to map the controllers. I have quite a complicated mapping for my current synth style midi controller and it works for me (although a lot of guys get frustrated with the setup hehe).

Thanks for the suggestion. But right now I'm looking for a portable midi controller. I really don't see myself needing a midi input output right now. I have a full sized controller which does have midi along with the usb so this shouldnt be a problem at all. Just thought I should ask and see if that thing exists.