I am playing in a band with some of my friends and I am currently using a MT-2 for my distortion. We are playing Trivium, Avenged Sevenfold (Waking the Fallen), Megadeth and even some Dream Theater. Anyway, I am the rhythm player, I do some harmony parts as well. It seems to me that the MT-2 is majorly lacking in low end frequencies. I think it sounds pretty bad and worse with certain amps that I own all of which are tube. I am sort of worried about buying another one because I am afraid it will be like the MT-2. Right now, I am thinking about the Box of Metal. The thing is I don't want to spend a ton because I want to purchase a hollow body guitar in the near future because when I am not playing in our band I like blues/jazz. Mainly I need something to get me the sound I need for the summer. I don't want to use a OD to boost my amp btw I just want a good pedal specifically for metal.

Thanks.
Raconteurs Fan Guy
Budget and what amps you have now?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
less than $200 and I have a Valveking 112 and an AC15C1 playing either a PRS SE Custom or an RGA42FM (active pickups).
Raconteurs Fan Guy
Out of curiosity why you dont want to boost? Put a bad monkey in front of valveking without the amps own gain boost and it does some really nice metal tones. Only the stock speaker sucks in combo, change it if you can.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Already have a Modtone DynaDrive would that work? I have tried and I cant get the setting right for sound I want.
Raconteurs Fan Guy
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
Already have a Modtone DynaDrive would that work? I have tried and I cant get the setting right for sound I want.

I dont know that pedal. If its based on tubescreamer then yes. Usually its done by using the pedal as cleanboost, maxing the level and keeping the gain off or low for some flavor. Its used to hammer the preamp tubes and also tubescreamer based pedals have the added effect of tightening the sound. A bad monkey or joyo vintage overdrive will set you back about 30$, not a huge loss and imho a must pedal for any tube amp owner.

*edit* also put patch cable into the fx loop if its not in use for other pedals, as crazy as it sounds. So check list: tubescreamer clone, speaker change if humanly possible (stock is quite muddy even if you go for dedicated distortion pedal) and disengage VK gain boost unless you want solid state distortion in the mix.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at May 30, 2013,
Blackstar HT-METAL... you should be able to find one used for around $200.
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde...I swear if I put mine in front of someone and they cant get a metal tone out of it they suck. It's based on the TS808 tubescreamer but with typical aftermarket mods already done. Its a two in one pedal Overdrive and Distortion so you have your choice of one or the other or BOTH! The OD side is basically your standard TS808 with a bass boost mod and for the year I have owned the pedal its my favorite OD sound unless I can dime my amp. The distortion side had mid/high knobs instead of just tone and a sharp or blunt distortion switch, I don't use this side much anymore cause I don't play that much heavy stuff but when I wanna have some fun I kick it in. I got mine for $170 so its a bit more pricey but a freaking awesome pedal.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
I do like the Suhr Riot a lot. I am going to experiment some more with my gear first though.
Raconteurs Fan Guy
Check out AMT pedals. They have some really nice pedals that are based on just about every great guitar amp made.

The AMT B-drive is based on the Bogner Extacy and would work well for you. I think they are only $125ish

They also have the Legend series R-1/R-2 pedals that are based on Mesa DR.

At least check them out
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire TL-2, since it's got the 3 eq band along with the Mid frequence knob.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Hardwire TL-2, since it's got the 3 eq band along with the Mid frequence knob.

So does the Metal Zone, but he is still trying to get rid of it.
I had an electroharmonix metal muff for a while, sounded not too bad. Ended up selling it on tho. I would buy some 2nd hand on ebay try a few out, and sell on til u get one u like.
Go with Suhr Riot! Read the reviews No Brainer

If not, MXR Distortion III, or
Electro Harmonix Metal Muff with "Top Boost"
Both excellent "medium priced" pedals.
if you like low-end, check out some weehbo dirtboxes. i have the bastard, and it's killer. super flexible eq, ton of low-end. good range of gain as well. you should be able to find one used for under $200 - it's $239 new.
Quote by mightycornholio
Try Digitech Death Metal. I think it's much stronger than the MT-2.

I've heard a lot of people saying it's an awful pedal, I wouldn't try that.
You REALLY REALLY DONT need a distortion pedal.

I own a Valveking & used it for this type of metal for years. Try these settings:

Dynadrive:
Level full
Gain Off/slighty on
Tone just over half

Bass 4.5
Mids 3
Treble 6

Presonance - 4
Resonacne - 6

You'll get a dark fat beefy metal tone. Do the dummy jack trick & loop pedal trick. Turn texture to A/B (Not sure if its on 112).

Read more here:

http://ultimate-guitar-valveking.wikispaces.com/
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
less than $200 and I have a Valveking 112 and an AC15C1 playing either a PRS SE Custom or an RGA42FM (active pickups).

Used Jekyll and Hyde 60 bucks has a good ts clone built right into it, also packs a fairly versitile distortion that chould have enough gain on tap for trivium if the od isn't enough for you.

Edit, the od side of the pedal has a bass boost on it so it should add more then enough low end to your playing much to the horror if your bass player.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at May 31, 2013,
Quote by JackovSlayer
I've heard a lot of people saying it's an awful pedal, I wouldn't try that.

It's harsh and has no gain knob. I had it when I had only played for a couple years and got rid of it because I didn't want to gain at 11 all the time.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
HT-Metal works on whatever metal style you are playing, the bass of it makes the palm mute more powerful
Buy a DigiTech DEATH METAL!

/troll

In all seriousness, I would look at Blackstar pedals. I just love that Blackstar sound.

EDIT: After reading the thread, I see that you have a Peavey ValveKing. I wouldn't use a distortion pedal, if I were you. I would just boost the amp's OD channel. It would sound fine. If you end up really not liking it, save up for a different amp.

A good amp is ALWAYS better than a plethora of decent pedals, in my opinion. Personally, I'm looking at the Carvin V3, but that's off-topic...
Last edited by The.new.guy at May 31, 2013,
Why has the OKKO Dominator fallen out of favour? Have a look at that pedal.

Also, their brand seems interesting... Arts In Bloodshed, they have a pedal called the Small Block Custom... That really seems brutally versatile!
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by AndyGray
You REALLY REALLY DONT need a distortion pedal.

I own a Valveking & used it for this type of metal for years. Try these settings:

Dynadrive:
Level full
Gain Off/slighty on
Tone just over half

Bass 4.5
Mids 3
Treble 6

Presonance - 4
Resonacne - 6

You'll get a dark fat beefy metal tone. Do the dummy jack trick & loop pedal trick. Turn texture to A/B (Not sure if its on 112).

Read more here:

http://ultimate-guitar-valveking.wikispaces.com/

Quoted for effing truth.

Valveking with few tricks is great for metal. Using distortion pedal, unless you are looking for some specific sound, seems a waste of good amp.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by ragingkitty

Also, their brand seems interesting... Arts In Bloodshed, they have a pedal called the Small Block Custom... That really seems brutally versatile!

I think the Riot sounds better than the Dominator
Quote by ragingkitty

Distortion pedals in general are shunned here in gg&a, because hurr durr buy a mediocre 6505 instead. Distortion pedals are not bad they can be extremely effective.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by The.new.guy
A good amp is ALWAYS better than a plethora of decent pedals, in my opinion.

(+) 1
Quote by losing battle

* Distortion pedals in general are shunned here in gg&a,
because hurr durr buy a mediocre 6505 instead.

* Distortion pedals are not bad
* they can be extremely effective.

So are you open to using "some" distortion pedals?
Aren't all pedals "distortion pedals", anyway???
Quote by Toppscore

Please, stop giving 'advice'.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Toppscore

Really just stop. You obviously are not very knowledgeable in anything guitar related. And if you are and just acting like an idiot STOP trying to give bad advise to people
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I am going to look at AMT and I will try those settings AndyGray.
I would rather use what I have save some money for the next guitar.
Raconteurs Fan Guy