Hey everyone,
I decided to get a EVH 5150 III HD 50w head to replace my Dark Terror (needed something louder and with channel switching.) For some songs in my bands set high gain is needed so as you can imagine at gigging volume there is a lot of background hiss due to the loudness and amount of gain being used.
I have been told that running a Noise Suppression pedal through the Effects Loop will fix this, is this correct? If so could you recommend my one to get? (Looking at Boss NS-2)

Cheers
I've noticed that Boss NS-2 is very popular, I guess there's a good reason for it.
You could take a look at MXR Smart Gate, I've heard that one is good.
im a big fan of the isp decimator
Self proclaimed prophets are great people...
I have Boss NS-2, it does pretty good job. Nothing special, just a simple noise gate, but effective one.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
I forgot to say one thing about NS-2. You can run in front of your amp and in the effects loop at the same time, it has two inputs and two outputs (input, send, return, output if you want me to be more specific).
Quote by Dillonski
Hey everyone,
I decided to get a EVH 5150 III HD 50w head to replace my Dark Terror (needed something louder and with channel switching.) For some songs in my bands set high gain is needed so as you can imagine at gigging volume there is a lot of background hiss due to the loudness and amount of gain being used.
I have been told that running a Noise Suppression pedal through the Effects Loop will fix this, is this correct? If so could you recommend my one to get? (Looking at Boss NS-2)

Cheers

NS2 is what I used with my high gain amp (JC 50H). Worked fine in the loop. Tried the dual input method, but didn't find much benefit compared to the extra cables and complication. I have heard good things about the ISP Decimator and other "smart" gates, but have never had one.

The trick I used without a gate was to leave the volume down on the pick up I wasn't using and flip to it until I was ready to play.
I use the MXR smart gate in front of my JCA50H. It works great for getting rid of background hiss, and doesn't really effect my tone at all. If I max it out, I can hear it get a little muddy, but I usually only have it running on about 3ish.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by TheNameOfNoone
I have Boss NS-2, it does pretty good job. Nothing special, just a simple noise gate, but effective one.

How is it just a simple noise gate, it has more features than pretty much any other gate on the market.

I'm a big advocate of the NS-2. The Decimator and the Smart Gate just don't give you any control over how the gate works. The Decimator in particular I have no idea how it's so popular. I guess people don't like being able to turn knobs.

It doesn't color tone, and it can handle two signals at the same time. And it's $100. No contest, IMO.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
How is it just a simple noise gate, it has more features than pretty much any other gate on the market.

I'm a big advocate of the NS-2. The Decimator and the Smart Gate just don't give you any control over how the gate works. The Decimator in particular I have no idea how it's so popular. I guess people don't like being able to turn knobs.

It doesn't color tone, and it can handle two signals at the same time. And it's $100. No contest, IMO.

+1

NS-2 is king.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I love the Boss NS-2. Totally recommended.

Also, for $100, I purchased the Zoom MS-100BT MultiStomp w/Bluetooth Pedal .
The Zoom Multistomp MS50G Pedal is a bit cheaper without the Bluetooth.
I "DO NOT" us the Zoom for the multi-effects, but have it in-line for the
Zoom ZNR ( Zoom Noise Reduction) feature.

Zoom ZNR is, IMHO, the best noise reduction pedal, ever.
But, for some reason, Zoom does not make a dedicated ZNR pedal,
as they add the feature into all of their modern newer pedals.

The MS-100BT MultiStomp has a ton of settings and tone options.
Therefore, if in an emergency, it can also be a back-up pedal.
My vote goes for the decimator. It really doesn't affect my tone at all when it's on.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Try a JJ ECC803 in V1. It's a low noise tube.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification