Hi All,

I am looking to upgrade from my miserly Ibanez GRG150 to a better guitar this weekend.

Which of these guitar should I get? I cannot try them as they are not directly available at the local shop. The guy will order the one I choose for me.

From my choices, I guess it is obvious I am looking for a guitar with a faster neck and floating bridge.

Links :

ESP/LTD MH 1000 FR

Ibanez RG1570Z

PRS Torero

Any help would be very welcome.

Thanks in Advance
Last edited by deepakborania at May 30, 2013,
i haven't tried the newer edge zero version of the 1570, but if it's like the older 1570s (and it might not be, i've heard several people i trust say that ibanez prestige quality is not quite as good as it used to be), I'd vastly prefer the 1570.

That's based on other PRS SEs I've tried and other LTD 1000 series guitars (as I haven't tried those exact models).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't tried the newer edge zero version of the 1570, but if it's like the older 1570s (and it might not be, i've heard several people i trust say that ibanez prestige quality is not quite as good as it used to be), I'd vastly prefer the 1570.

That's based on other PRS SEs I've tried and other LTD 1000 series guitars (as I haven't tried those exact models).

Agreed. I love my RGR1570, mine has the Edgo Pro though not the Zero. From what I have heard the Edge Zero trems are very good.
The prestige will offer the best quality, and be able to retain it's value. Should the neck be damaged, there are a million prestige necks on ebay.

The ltd will offer the most bang per buck, offering the most out of $800 (I have one) but the prestige which is MIJ does out class it.

The PRS is in the same situtaion with the LTD, made in the same korean factory. Relatively same specs: Floyd Rose 1000, emg 81/85, maple top on mahogany.

In the end if you can afford the Ibanez I'd go for that. On a budget go for the LTD.
???
Why those choices? Do you just like the look of them?

I ask because if you answer these questions here, we might be able to find something that is exactly right for you.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696

Other than that... there is no such thing as a "fast neck". Everyone has their own neck preferences, and the shape and the thickness both matter a lot. The "fastest" neck is simply the neck that you're most comfortable on, and that could be a Wizard Prestige or a Gibson 50's. You really need to sit down and play a ton of guitars to really find out what's right for you. We can get you in the ballpark, but that's not a subject we can answer definitively for you.

The Torero and the MH-1000 are very very similar spec-wise. The LTDs seem like sturdier and better made guitars than the Toreros, but they're similar enough that you should find out which one is more comfortable to you.

The Ibanez is at the bottom of the next class up, but it has some huge superficial drawbacks, namely the pickups. Both the LTD & the SE will sound a lot better out of the box. But if you're willing to invest more in pickups for the Ibby, then it will objectively obliterate the LTD and the SE.

However the Ibby has a very thin neck, that's what they're known for. The LTD and SE both have moderately thick necks. More importantly than the thickness, their shape is much more round and consistent, whereas Ibanez has a very flat, very "D" shape neck (to the extent of my knowledge anyway. I'm not sure if they're using new necks for Prestiges now or not). The "D" vs. "U" shape is far more important than the thickness of the neck. I can't do D shapes. The reason I use the Ibanez I use is because it has the new Wizard III neck, which is much more consistently round like a "U" shape than the old Wizard IIs were.

TL;DR you really need to try stuff and get an idea of what works for you and what doesn't.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 30, 2013,
If I needed to choose between those 3, I would go for the Ibanez, the edge zero is very nice and I prefer Ibanez pick ups to EMG but that's just me
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
I've got a Torero and I can only speak praise of it. I found it the most comfortable out of the 3 you mentioned (never been a fan of Ibanez 6 strings and always like ESP) and it came with all the specs that I was after for my price range. I thought it blew the LTD out of the water. The LTD is good but I didn't feel like it did anything for me and the PRS was just amazing.

If you go for the Ibanez, you'll probably want to swap the pickups out. Sure it's prestige and all but it's one of the lower end Prestiges which I'd personally avoid but it's up to the buyers discretion.
Thanks everybody for your replies.

Originally Posted by Offworld92
Why those choices? Do you just like the look of them?

"Which Guitar" questionnaire :

Budget - Around INR 70000 which comes out to USD 1240. Here in India, RG1570z is around USD 1180. LTD MH-1000 is around USD 1060.

Favorite Artists - I try play a bit of everything. I try to play Megadeth, Satriani, Petrucci, RacerX, Trivium, Avenged Sevenfold. But I try my hand on Guns n Roses, Clapton etc once in a while.

Preferences - 24 frets is a must and also a floating bridge. HSH configuration isn't a must for me. HH would do just fine.

I will be getting a new guitar. I live in New Delhi, India. There are a few shops here but most of them don't stock these kind of guitars. They stock up on budget guitars i.e. USD 200 - 500. So the guy would only get the guitar I ask him to get. So trying these would be out of question. Maybe something similar but not the same.

I currently have an Ibanez GRG150 so any of these guitar would be massive step up for me. I am a bit inclined towards RG 1570 mainly because of its MIJ tag.
My current amp is a crappy Hartke 15W SS combo and Korg Ax1500G multiFX. I will be upgrading it to some valve amp/combo in near future. Probably a JetCity 22h or Peavey 6505+ 112. Or maybe something a lot smaller. Not sure about that.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Last edited by deepakborania at May 31, 2013,
How do you like the neck on your GRG? I haven't played a Gio in a long time, but I think they're a pretty fat D shape. The 1570 will be a lot thinner, and the LTD & SE should be about the same, but rounder (not flat).

Which way do you think you'd be more comfortable going?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I guess I can get accustomed to a thinner neck. Will it be much more difficult to play chords if the neck is thinner? Or is it something I will get over in time?
Like I tried to explain before, it's not objective like that. There is no scale or way to measure playability. It varies completely randomly from person to person.

I'm just trying to explain what the differences will be... I can't tell you how you'll react to those differences. The only way anyone can know that is by playing themselves.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Like I tried to explain before, it's not objective like that. There is no scale or way to measure playability. It varies completely randomly from person to person.

Thank you very much for your help. I get your point. I just wanted to know what is the general consensus about this chords on flat neck theme.

I think I am going to get RG1570. Though I will try out some RGs and LTDs at the shop before doing that.

Is there some other guitar you would recommend in this budget which might be worth looking at?
Quote by Offworld92
How do you like the neck on your GRG? I haven't played a Gio in a long time, but I think they're a pretty fat D shape. The 1570 will be a lot thinner, and the LTD & SE should be about the same, but rounder (not flat).

Which way do you think you'd be more comfortable going?

I have a GRG270B and the neck is pretty thin.
Quote by JackovSlayer
I have a GRG270B and the neck is pretty thin.

What would you compare it to? I don't want to give misleading advice, I'm just going from memory.

TS, do you have any of the new Jacksons there? The Jackson SL2 Pro Soloist might be worth considering. I didn't really bother suggesting alternatives because I know the market and availability in India is not great.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-sl2-pro-soloist-quilt-maple-electric-guitar

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
What would you compare it to? I don't want to give misleading advice, I'm just going from memory.

I don't know what should I compare it to. I never played some of the expensive Ibanez guitars so I don't know are their necks very similar to GRG.
However, I played some other guitars such as Schecter, B.C. Rich, Dean and others, and my GRG actually has one of the thinest necks I've ever played.