Well started playing guitar again couple of years ago. Was just playing thru a pocket pod into computer on my SG and Jackson superstrat.
Bought a 50w peavey valveking 112 2nd hand, sounds ok I suppose my 1st valve amp, been reading up on the mod page for it.
Took it down the practice room on my own to crank it up and see how it sounds.
Anyway I noticed a Marshall half stack in the corner with a for sale sign on it.
Recently started up an AC/DC tribute band so thought mmm I'll give that a try.

Holy crap! The penny finally dropped. This thing sounds awesome!! Its a 1976 Marshall JMP Superbass Mark II 100w with 4 Celestion G12H 30W 55 Hz Gold Label speakers.

It makes my Peavey sound like a wee practice amp. Even at around 4 or 5 volume big open chords on the SG sound like being punched in the chest and blow the peavey 112 out of the water. The room was shaking at around 6 to 7!

I thought I got a close angus young tone on my pocket pod JCM 800 setting, but no matter how much you read on the internet about these vintage marshalls there is no substitute for hearing it in the flesh.

The guy is looking £600 for head and cab, I reckon this is good value. Recently been properly service and new valves too.

The roar of this beast has totally made me reset by ideas of how a big fat hard rock tone should sound.

I'm converted.
Last edited by Rmonix at May 30, 2013,
Quote by Rmonix
Well started playing guitar again couple of years ago. Was just playing thru a pocket pod into computer on my SG and Jackson superstrat.
Bought a 50w peavey valveking 112 2nd hand, sounds ok I suppose my 1st valve amp, been reading up on the mod page for it.
Took it down the practice room on my own to crank it up and see how it sounds.
Anyway I noticed a Marshall half stack in the corner with a for sale sign on it.
Recently started up an AC/DC tribute band so thought mmm I'll give that a try.

Holy crap! The penny finally dropped. This thing sounds awesome!! Its a 1976 Marshall JMP Superbass Mark II 100w with 4 Celestion G12H 30W 55 Hz Gold Label speakers.

It makes my Peavey sound like a wee practice amp. Even at around 4 or 5 volume big open chords on the SG sound like being punched in the chest and blow the peavey 112 out of the water. The room was shaking at around 6 to 7!

I thought I got a close angus young tone on my pocket pod JCM 800 setting, but no matter how much you read on the internet about these vintage marshalls there is no substitute for hearing it in the flesh.

The guy is looking £600 for head and cab, I reckon this is good value. Recently been properly service and new valves too.

The roar of this beast has totally made me reset by ideas of how a big fat hard rock tone should sound.

I'm converted.

BUY IT!!!!
Sounds too good to be true, to be honest. Just make sure you get what you are told bud.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
IIRC that is the amp that Malcolm Young uses.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
They're an awesome amp, man. Next you have to search down the perfect tubes for it. That and the right overdrive pedal. And so the first steps down the old tube marshall path are taken.
My band plays a few old ACDC songs btw. Bonn Scott era.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification