It's my understanding that no matter if you use fingers 1,2 e 3 ; or use fingers 2, 3 e 4 ; it is physically impossible to press next to the frets when playing the A chord. After all, no two bodies occupy the same place at the same time?

So it seems like the only way to do it is by barring the three strings (D, G and B) with your index finger. While this improves the sound of the notes, but makes it harder to change the chords.

Am I mistaken, or is it just one of those things that will take time and practice to really nail down? I'm not sure which answer is worse.
You're gonna have to be more descriptive, are you trying to go from an A major to another chord? If so, what chord?
Playing the guitar is all about efficiency. As the others have said, don't barre the three strings to get an A. While it's possible to do with a single finger, it does make it harder to quickly and efficiently change to other chords. Remember this - you need to be able to change from one chord to the next with a minimal amount of movement. This is where the efficiency comes into play. Using your three fingers just takes time to learn.

So, you think the A is tough? Wait until you learn the barre F.
I use fingers 2,3 &4. Works best for me. Pinky is smaller so less likely to touch the E. Work at it slowly, you'll nail it in no time.
Well if you can barre the A while keeping the E, that's unusual and tricky which could be a useful tool later. I wouldn't play A with 1 finger if I had to sacrifice the E.
I use 2,3,4 because then I can go quickly to barre. Learned it with 1,2,3 and don't think it's the best way anymore. Same with E, 234. I also think D should be learned as x54232 rather than xx0232, because that shape is great in so many more places. I say this because beginners spend so much time perfecting open chords, and a lot of those shapes they hammer into the muscle memory are next to useless in other situations.

Anyways, GL
It's not physically impossible at all, if it was nobody would advocate playing the chord that way and millions of guitarists wouldn't have learned to play it that way.

You just need to practice, playing the guitar isn't simply something you can "do", everything takes time to learn and practice to perfect.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Personally I sometimes bar the A chord with the most convenient finger, other times I play it with my 1st, 2nd & 3rd fingers. With enough practice both will become easy and you can choose your preferred method. IMO neither is wrong, its what works best for you. Practice is always the answer.

Also, this:
Quote by KG6_Steven
So, you think the A is tough? Wait until you learn the barre F.

I avoided barre chords for years
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
sure its a little crowded using three fingers for the open A but like everyone else said it's a lot easier to change chords rather than using the one finger.

Also I have a question along the same line as TS... does anyone else play open D (0232) by barring GBE on the 2nd fret and using your middle finger on the 3rd fret on B? I found it a lot easier and less crowded than the way I was taught.
I know of other people who play D like that, but it's not a method I've ever got on with.

The general rule is that if it works for you & doesn't create other problems, go for it.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I was taught to play the open A chord with fingers 1, 2 and 3, and to be honest it feels like the most natural thing in the world to me, I do it with extreme ease now and as others have said leaves it open for you to change easily to chords C, D, E etc. I do remember having difficulty with it early on, but honestly if you persist with it, it will feel like the easiest thing to do and you won't even have to think about it. The guitar is all about repetition and practice.

As someone else said, wait till you learn to play bar chords. Everyone struggles with that at first, but if you persist with practice and repetition, it will eventually become second nature.

Good luck!
Thanks for all the help guys! I'm getting a lot better already. Still sloppy...but making progress
Quote by RockRolla
I use fingers 2,3 &4. Works best for me. Pinky is smaller so less likely to touch the E. Work at it slowly, you'll nail it in no time.

I do it exactly the same way. More comfortable that way for me, personally.
Quote by GaryBillington
The general rule is that if it works for you & doesn't create other problems, go for it.

But it would be difficult to say whether it'd create other problems.

I say learn it the correct way, then once you can do that, do whatever you want.
I learned it with 1, 2 & 3 and always knew that barring it with my index finger was an option which I can actually do without muting the High E. Recently I noticed that my current teacher always plays it barred and I asked him about it...

He then proceeded to show me some of the stuff he can do with his other fingers as a result of having them available.
Quote by gilpound
sure its a little crowded using three fingers for the open A but like everyone else said it's a lot easier to change chords rather than using the one finger.

Also I have a question along the same line as TS... does anyone else play open D (0232) by barring GBE on the 2nd fret and using your middle finger on the 3rd fret on B? I found it a lot easier and less crowded than the way I was taught.

Only if adding embellishments like 0235 or 0232 to 0222, but seriously I can play anything in a million ways anyway.

I sometimes play F Barre chord like this Thumb,Ring,Pinky,Middle,Index,Index.

It all depends on the subtle continuities of chord transfers. Ironically I use more custom advanced fingerings on the (arguably harder to fret) acoustic guitar.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jun 21, 2013,
Works great for me and I use both combinations of fingers depending on what chord I will be moving to next, it its something like an E then I will use my 2,3,4 fingers so I can switch easily to the E with 1,2,3 fingers and if I am going to go from an A to say a G I will use my 1,2,3 fingers on the A so switching to the G is fast and clean. Also remember when you are taught to play they tell you get your finger as close to the fret as possible which is true; however frets don't naturally run perfectly parallel to each other so from 100% perfect intonation your fingers would have to be in slightly different spots then right up against the fret, this is the whole premises behind the True Temperament fret system.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hi, I'm new on the forum and just starting to add some tabs.
I came across this question and might be able to give you a new way of playing the A chord.
Use your middle finger on the D-string, your ring finger on the B-string and your index finger in the middle on the g-string. ( 2,1,3 )
This way there are two fingers pressed up against the fret and one that comes at least pretty close ( closer than the 1,2,3 config)
Good luck trying this one out.
Last edited by prinsmarco1 at Dec 21, 2014,
Quote by prinsmarco1
Hi, I'm new on the forum and just starting to add some tabs.
I came across this question and might be able to give you a new way of playing the A chord.
Use your middle finger on the D-string, your ring finger on the B-string and your index finger in the middle on the g-string. ( 2,1,3 )
This way there are two fingers pressed up against the fret and one that comes at least pretty close ( closer than the 1,2,3 config)
Good luck trying this one out.
I was gonna suggest this too.It can be easier for some people with chubbier fingers.Personally i just play it the usual way with 1,2,3 or 2,3,4 depending on the situation but my dad plays it the way you mentioned,Kind of like a D7 shape but all on one fret on the D,G and B strings.
Given the age of this thread, I'd imagine he's figured it out by now.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud