I'm an 80's kid, always have, always will be. I currently own 2 very 1980's guitars, a Carvin ST300C with a pointy headstock and a 1987 Charvel Model 2 and my bass is wrapped in Pink and White Zebra duct tape. I listen to 80's music most days and unlike most people, I wish I was the lead singer for whatever is my favorite 80's metal band that week. In true spirit of the 1980's...I'm building another superstrat to supplement my 80's habit.

Specs:

Squier Affinity Strat Body made of Alder.
TNT Guitars Jackson Style Neck 24 with a Maple Fretboard.
TNT Guitars Black Loaded Pickguard with a Dragonfire Screamer
Original Floyd Rose in Black with Black hardware to match.
TNT Gotoh Tuners
and the most important thing of all.

FERRARI RED PAINT WITH METAL FLAKES!

I'm waiting on parts to get here, which should be here on Tuesday, so I'll post pictures of everything when it does get here.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
sounds awesome..........i'm with you on the 80's thing as well

most of my guitars are stuck in the 80's (just done a "tiger" myself
Last edited by sytharnia1560 at May 31, 2013,
Quote by RBM01991
I'm an 80's kid, always have, always will be. I currently own 2 very 1980's guitars, a Carvin ST300C with a pointy headstock and a 1987 Charvel Model 2 and my bass is wrapped in Pink and White Zebra duct tape. I listen to 80's music most days and unlike most people, I wish I was the lead singer for whatever is my favorite 80's metal band that week. In true spirit of the 1980's...I'm building another superstrat to supplement my 80's habit.

Specs:

Squier Affinity Strat Body made of Alder.
TNT Guitars Jackson Style Neck 24 with a Maple Fretboard.
TNT Guitars Black Loaded Pickguard with a Dragonfire Screamer
Original Floyd Rose in Black with Black hardware to match.
TNT Gotoh Tuners
and the most important thing of all.

FERRARI RED PAINT WITH METAL FLAKES!

I'm waiting on parts to get here, which should be here on Tuesday, so I'll post pictures of everything when it does get here.

Remember to extend the neck pocket or reposition the bridge because the regular strat necks do not have 24 frets
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Remember to extend the neck pocket or reposition the bridge because the regular strat necks do not have 24 frets

About how much of an extension? 1/4 inch, 1/2 an inch?
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Quote by RBM01991
About how much of an extension? 1/4 inch, 1/2 an inch?

You will have to measure from the nut to the bridge saddles. this should add up to 25.5" so take what ever the remaining amount is out of the neck pocket.

you can also cut part of the heal off the neck. but you would leave the fret board alone and only cut the neck wood. People have done this to Strat necks for years to fit them on Telecasters. This is the easiest way
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You will have to measure from the nut to the bridge saddles. this should add up to 25.5" so take what ever the remaining amount is out of the neck pocket.

you can also cut part of the heal off the neck. but you would leave the fret board alone and only cut the neck wood. People have done this to Strat necks for years to fit them on Telecasters. This is the easiest way

Ok, perfect dude thanks.

UPDATE: Body and Neck will be here Tuesday, meanwhile, enjoy pictures of the paint I will be using and the hardware kit! 56K Warning!

Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

this sounds awesome
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
UPDATE!

Body got here today...10 minutes after I left for work. So I just got home a little while ago and took some pictures.

What tasty Korean goodness came in the mail for me?

Why its a Strat body!

Oh...and what's this? My Floyd likes it already!!

The body actually came with a few goodies, it came with a ground wire, tremolo, springs and screws, plus a little baggie with the strap buttons, plus the input jack as well...not that I'm keeping it, but it came well equipped for it being hilariously cheap.

Now my next update will be on Thursday, I will go to Harbor Freight and pick up a POS router and bit so I can do the neck work and start sanding her down and get her ready for paint. I'm so ****ing excited I can barely contain myself.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Quote by von Layzonfon

Registering interest from another 80s throwback.

I am a little concerned that engine enamel will take about six years to fully cure though?

I don't know man, if it works on big block Chevy's I think it will work on guitars Besides I really don't have all that much time to put it together so once I paint it, i'll leave it hanging for about a week to dry

UPDATE THOUGH:

The neck got here this morning, my fiance wakes me up at 9:30 this morning and says to me "Hey wake up sleepy head" and I go "why?!??!!?" and she goes "Your thing is here. Y'all have no idea how much that made my morning.

That's the obligatory feet and unboxing picture.

and this is the neck on the guitar itself, this is gonna be one sexy bitch.

I will say though, the neck needs some work...I mean for 80 bucks you can't expect perfection, and there's blemishes all over the neck, the binding is a mess and there's a burn mark on the first fret...nothing a little sand paper and some tung oil can't fix. But Robbgnarly was right, I'm gonna have to cut out a bunch of the body to get it to fit right because right now, its sitting at a 26" Scale instead of a 25.5, and I can't move the Floyd anymore so off to Harbor Freight I will be on Thursday morning!
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by RBM01991
I don't know man, if it works on big block Chevy's I think it will work on guitars Besides I really don't have all that much time to put it together so once I paint it, i'll leave it hanging for about a week to dry

UPDATE THOUGH:

The neck got here this morning, my fiance wakes me up at 9:30 this morning and says to me "Hey wake up sleepy head" and I go "why?!??!!?" and she goes "Your thing is here. Y'all have no idea how much that made my morning.

That's the obligatory feet and unboxing picture.

and this is the neck on the guitar itself, this is gonna be one sexy bitch.

I will say though, the neck needs some work...I mean for 80 bucks you can't expect perfection, and there's blemishes all over the neck, the binding is a mess and there's a burn mark on the first fret...nothing a little sand paper and some tung oil can't fix. But Robbgnarly was right, I'm gonna have to cut out a bunch of the body to get it to fit right because right now, its sitting at a 26" Scale instead of a 25.5, and I can't move the Floyd anymore so off to Harbor Freight I will be on Thursday morning!

Why not just cut 1/2" off of the neck heal?

It will be much easier than routing the body. Just make sure you don't cut the fret-board off and you will be fine.

Make sure the saddles on the FR are in the "middle" of their travel either way
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 4, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Why not just cut 1/2" off of the neck heal?

It will be much easier than routing the body. Just make sure you don't cut the fret-board off and you will be fine.

Make sure the saddles on the FR are in the "middle" of their travel either way

I was thinking, why not cut a 1/4" off the neck and 1/4" off the body? I think it would offset it wouldn't it?
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Quote by RBM01991
I was thinking, why not cut a 1/4" off the neck and 1/4" off the body? I think it would offset it wouldn't it?

That may be the way to go.

I have only done this once with a tele body and a strat neck
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
That may be the way to go.

I have only done this once with a tele body and a strat neck

Ok perfect that sounds great.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

why not make it a 22 fret neck....then it should be ok in the old neck pocket scale wise and yo won't be hanging over the routing
Quote by sytharnia1560
why not make it a 22 fret neck....then it should be ok in the old neck pocket scale wise and yo won't be hanging over the routing

Yeah but that would involve me having to send back this neck and exchange it for a 22 fret neck...besides I like having 2 full octaves

Sanding and paint starts tomorrow!!!!!
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Quote by RBM01991
Yeah but that would involve me having to send back this neck and exchange it for a 22 fret neck

or you could cut the last to frets off and re attach the binding .....but hey if ya want 24 then the 1/4 thing is the go
Today is the big day...unfortunately the weather isn't going to let me paint today, but nevertheless, I got all the routing, all the measuring done for the neck and the scale.

My work area, as you can see the weather wasnt nice at all.

Not bad for not having ever used a router, I know it looks rough, but I sanded it with 60 grit and made it fairly smooth.

She's ready to be stripped....but 60 grit does not and I repeat, DOES NOT work on poly, so I had to use paint thinner

I'll post pictures when I'm done stripping it and I'll let you know what works best. So far so good!
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

I hate to double post, but I think its relevant. As unpredictable as Florida is, the weather changed and I was able to do some paint work...now I will say this...I ****ed it up...pretty badly

I gouged the wood pretty bad during sanding and while I was gonna fix it with food filler...I couldn't be bothered, but I will say this. The first coat of wrinkle black looks fantastic, take a look:

This is the first sanding stage, as you can see, there was quite a lot of damage...mostly from the putty knife and my rage

My ghettofabulous paint booth

Primer stage:

AND HERE IS THE WRINKLE BLACK!!!!

I've googled it, and I've asked everyone I know, and no one that I know of has done a wrinkle paint guitar. This type of paint has only been used on valve covers and so on and so forth (Honda guys like to use this a lot) and now I'm gonna lay down the first coat of red. Wish me luck!!
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

If there's one thing I've learnt from my few guitar projects it's this: The most important tool in my toolbox is patience. Unfortunately mine has a habit of wearing thin - I think I need a bigger one.

Intrigued to see how this paint job turns out.
>using a chizel to get paint off
>not sanding it to a fine grit
>painting whilst it's wet outside

oh man
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by N_J_B_B
>using a chizel to get paint off
>not sanding it to a fine grit
>painting whilst it's wet outside

oh man

I'm not letting it bother me lol, it was wet outside, but not s speck of water got on it. I'm letting it dry right now. Ill give you guys a few pictures later, but today I'm going to Seaworld so Ill be back later
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Double post alert.

This is what the first coat of red looks like. I'm letting her dry in a closet inside so that dust and dirt don't get on her, but she looks good. I'm gonna sand her with 400 grit on my next day off and the metal flakes will be going on then.

EDIT:

This is what the mockup looks like, she's dry to the touch, but its still got about 2 days left on the drying stage.

Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Last edited by RBM01991 at Jun 8, 2013,
Hey, painting while its wet outside is bad not because of water getting to the guitar physically. The thing is, if its very humid outside the paint does not adhere as it should, that is why paintshops cant paint if its wet outside or raining, due to water/air ratio,

Anyways, congratulation is looking mighty fine the color combo.

Id prefer a smooth finish,

Cheeerz

Quote by R_Gallagher_Fan
Oh yeahhhh!

Also, ^divinorum^ did you ever finish that strat build, I really liked it?

Nope, its sitting besde my bed, only needing the nut and fret levelling.
looks great so far

Quote by divinorum69
Hey, painting while its wet outside is bad not because of water getting to the guitar physically. The thing is, if its very humid outside the paint does not adhere as it should, that is why paintshops cant paint if its wet outside or raining, due to water/air ratio,

i'm guessing there are no paintshops in ireland then. being able to paint 4 days a year would suck
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
UPDATE!!!

Sorry guys I've been super busy these last 2 weeks with work, trying to get married, work trips and all kinds of stupid shit and I haven't been able to finish her...but she's finally done....well sort of See, even though I did a perfect job at assembling...I ****ed up the tremolo post routing a bit...and you'll see pictures of it . I'm not upset though, my tech over at GC told me 75 bucks for a full setup and to fix the tremolo post alignment so I'm happy. That will happen next month.

Here's what she finally looks like...minus some hardware changes that were done after I re-stringed her.

The paint got a little darker with the metalflakes and the clear which I don't understand how it happened, but I don't know if I've told you guys, this is my first project ever .

Here's some better photos

And before you ask, yes I did get a black knob and a black jack plate

I'll get you guys a full video review and test play when I get her setup and botchwork redone next month.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

nice
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I like it.....I personally would have gone for a smoother finish but hey it ain't my guitar ....I would also paint the headstock the same colour as the body