Hello, Pit.

As I'm sure you (probably don't) know, the World Science Festival is going on this week. Lots of interesting talks are going to be taking place, some of which will be livestreamed, and one of which is starting right now. This talk is entitled The Whispering Mind, and deals with the issue of consciousness. Click on the link if you want to watch, and use this thread to discuss WSF things related in general.

Are any of you guys attending? Have you attended in the past? Do you even science, bro?

EDIT: Also live right now is the Cellular Surgeons talk, which is about nanomedicine, so if that's more up your alley, feel free to watch that instead.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Last edited by MAC2322 at May 30, 2013,
I'll be watching "Multiverse" tomorrow night and "What Is Time?" on Sunday. Hopefully they're archived so I can watch "A Matter of Time", which is on at the same time as "Multiverse".

I love stuff like this, thanks for the heads up.
"The whispering mind" sounds scary and now I'm intimidated by science and need Jesus
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Two more events happening later today, both at 8 EDT, which is 7 PM UG time:

Infinity, which is a talk discussing the nature of infinity, its role in math and its presence in the universe. Is infinity 'real'?

Architects of the Mind, which deals with thinking of the brain as an organic computer. Can a brain be programmed? Does it even make sense to ask that question?

Not sure which of these I'm going to watch, they both seem like very interesting events.
Quote by jimmy_neutron
Are these broadcasts saved somewhere to be watched later?

Why, yes indeed. The livestream schedule and archive of talks can be found here
Bumping for today's events:

Brains On Trial: With brain scanning technology becoming better and better at detecting pathologies, lies, dispositions, etc., what place, if any, does this have in a courtroom? What are the implications of being able to 'read minds' legally in terms of liability and responsibility? This talk starts in like 15 mins.

Destiny & DNA: How much of our personality and traits are determined by our genetic code? Are we 'fated' genetically to be a certain way? What does this mean for projects like altering of the genomic code?
Destiny and DNA talk is really interesting (and still going if you want to watch). They were just talking about Two genetically identical mice, one big fat and yellow, the other small lean and brown, with the only difference being what the mother ate while they were in utero. A Better diet with more vitamins led to healthier offspring less prone to obesity, cancer, diabetes, etc. Despite their identical genetic code, the mother's diet caused different genes to activate in each case, leading to drastically different expressions in phenotype.

EDIT: And this moderator is brilliant.
Last edited by MAC2322 at Jun 1, 2013,
Quote by MAC2322
Destiny and DNA talk is really interesting (and still going if you want to watch). They were just talking about Two genetically identical mice, one big fat and yellow, the other small lean and brown, with the only difference being what the mother ate while they were in utero. A Better diet with more vitamins led to healthier offspring less prone to obesity, cancer, diabetes, etc. Despite their identical genetic code, the mother's diet caused different genes to activate in each case, leading to drastically different expressions in phenotype.

Talking about the connection between destiny and the passage of genetic material through childbirth, and they DIDN'T call it Destiny's Child?!?

You may be able to map the human genome, nerds, but I've got you on word play.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by MAC2322

I went to see this guy's presentation at my uni. He's looking at epigenetics in cardiovascular disease. His talk is probably the reason why I decided to focus on epigenetics. The Destiny and DNA talk is very cool, but it's talking about stuff I already learned. They have given a pretty good overview of epigenetics so I'm hoping the other talks are are just as thorough.

EDIT: Actually, it got a little more interesting towards the end.
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
Last edited by metal4eva_22 at Jun 2, 2013,