Hey guys. I have some lugs on a drumset that I am currently working on. They're chrome, any ideas on how to remove the chrome and give them a gold or bass finish? I feel that if this is possible it would be much cheaper
My dad is an engineer and one time a while back he explained to me how electroplating works. I'm not an engineer so it was hard to follow what he said, but in a nutshell, they take the metal, put it into this really wonky looking machine that has some form of chemical liquid in it (as well as the "gold" finish, or black finish, or whatever) The machine then sends electricity through the liquid, causing the finish to separate from the chemical and attach itself to the piece of metal. IE, your lugs, or a guitar bridge, etc. He also told me that the plating is about as thin as a piece of paper, which is why old guitars will have the finish rubbed off. It's so thin because if it was any thicker, then it would add width to things like tension rods which would then be to large to screw into the lugs, and of course it would cost more.

I have absolutely no idea how you would do that on your own. I don't think it'd be possible without very specific and probably expensive equipment. If someone does know a way I'd love to hear it. Of course, since they're just lugs and not tension rods, you could probably get away with painting them. I used to be in the vinyl business and we could wrap vinyl around pretty much anything if we used a heat gun (like cars, for example) You could always try that. Best of luck dude!
All you need to electroplate is a battery, vinegar, some gold, and some wire.
REAL fancy equipment there.
http://www.ehow.com/how_8074590_electroplate-home.html

Electroplating is piss easy to do.

Also
http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Chrome-Plating
Last edited by darkwolf291 at May 31, 2013,
Quote by darkwolf291
All you need to electroplate is a battery, vinegar, some gold, and some wire.
REAL fancy equipment there.
http://www.ehow.com/how_8074590_electroplate-home.html

Electroplating is piss easy to do.

Also
http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Chrome-Plating

Well, like I said, this is what my father told me they did in the professional world (more specifically in aircraft manufacturing) not kids doing it at home in their basement with batteries... I did say I'd love to hear how they did it so I guess I had that coming, haha. That eHow article was interesting to browse through.

Good luck to the OP, hope your lugs shine more than darkwolfs personality does!
Come on now, was the personal attack really necessary?

Besides, I could say the same thing about you.
"daddy says you need fancy machines to do it, so you can't do it at home!"

But I digress.
The point is to help TS, not throw insults at each other like 2 year olds.
If I came off as an asshole, I apologize.
Was not my intent.
Last edited by darkwolf291 at May 31, 2013,
Quote by darkwolf291
Come on now, was the personal attack really necessary?

Besides, I could say the same thing about you.
"daddy says you need fancy machines to do it, so you can't do it at home!"

But I digress.
The point is to help TS, not throw insults at each other like 2 year olds.
If I came off as an asshole, I apologize.
Was not my intent.

I apologize as well. I tend to have a short temper, and it wasn't very fair that I said that. My bad Putting that was admittedly childish on my part, and reading back I did take your comment the wrong way. Again, sorry about that.

With my first post, I was just trying to give a little insight on how it was done in masse by someone who works with those kind of things, and I tried to be clear that I didn't know how you'd do it as a DIY, more like... I don't know, just trying to give information on what is happening in the process? Something like that. Saying it'd be impossible to do on your own was rather ignorant of me. I had no idea that it'd be as easy as it is after reading about it. I figured it be more difficult. Whoops! Haha.

The vinyl thing would be pretty cool if you ever wanted to do an intricate drum kit design. you could print little tiny details onto the vinyl and it'd be dirt cheap. But for just gold, electroplating would be the way to go for sure!
Last edited by Tracii Lee at May 31, 2013,
During the summer, you can see girls in bikini tops using a relatively simple process to "gold" the chrome on car emblems at various car dealerships.

Ask around......the worst that can happen is you might meet a girl in denim shorts.

Last edited by HowlerMonkey at Jun 6, 2013,
Quote by HowlerMonkey
During the summer, you can see girls in bikini tops using a relatively simple process to "gold" the chrome on car emblems at various car dealerships.

Ask around......the worst that can happen is you might meet a girl in denim shorts.

This post is confusing as hell. I have the weirdest boner right now...