Hey guys, I've been working on this for awhile and taking my time, trying to get everything to sound right. I finally got a functioning Blackhawk bridge in my DC727, got Toontrack's EZMix, figured out a few tricks...etc. This is a song I wrote quite awhile back, possibly a whole year. The quality of the original was very sub-par and I feel it did the song no justice, so I re-recorded everything!

Here's the final product:

EDIT: Re-mixed it a bit
https://soundcloud.com/the-left-turns/white-holes-2nd-mix

Also because Soundcloud butchers the quality so hard:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12348306

How I record:
CarvinDC727-->POD UX1-->Reaper with VSTs, equalizing, etc.-->Wavepad for EQing, volume adjusting, compression-->Your ears!

I'm looking for feedback on the mix and overall tone, balance, and anything else that stands out to you. Thanks!
Music must be honest to be timeless.
Last edited by boratian at Jun 2, 2013,
Did you post the right link? I tried going to it but I just got Soundcloud's "something went wrong" error page.
Oooh, I'm loving the intro!!
Whoa, you kinda shocked me at 1:08, I guess because I forgot the title of this thread was prog metal LOL
Tight rhythm guitar riffs. Good guitar tones. The drum programming is solid. The mix is well balanced. Are you using a 7 string guitar? I love those riffs at 3:05, oh yeah!!! And I love the next section at 3:19--great contrasting section there!!
Overall, I loved it, I listened to it 3 times! :-)
Could you go to my thread and leave a comment there: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1602766
I did some re-mixing on the song, it was a bit too intense and clippy before
Overall, very well written song. I love how it progresses. The intro was nice and soft, and then i love how it just gets heavy. The flow throughout was great. All the riffs by themselves were sweet, and they all fit well together. Good job man!
Hai, writing as I listen:

Intro sounds rather mysterious. A bit like an omnious quenstion mark. It does sound a bit sloppy-ish somehow but I can't actually pin point why. Perhaps organic would be a more appropriate word, but the way that the delay doesn't match up with the timing at makes it a bit sloppy somehow. I like the combination of the muted guitar with the insane amount of delay.

BAAM 1:08 stuff is going down. Sounds awesome I like the ammount of texture and layers, it just seems so full and you really smeared the bass frequencies down which sounds pretty awesome on my speakers. Makes them really move some air. At 2:00 I'm feeling a bit of an Animals As Leaders vibe which is always awesome. I like how you return the theme. The lead at 2:20 I don't dig as much as the rest, especially that like more blues-rock solo thing you do at 2:30 with the three tone repeat line doesn't really fit the atmosphere of the song. The part pre 3:00 is very awesome. The part at 3:00 is also awesome. I like where the bas guitar is oging at 3:20 and the ska-kind of rhytm thing on the guitar combines well with the tone you're using. Reminds me of vildhjarta and the likes. But at 3:50 you're all like BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME MAN. With their kind of groove and their use of blast-beats very nice. 4:00 is still giving me a BTBAM vibe. And the 4:24 is also kind of BTBAMish with a little return to the theme which is awesome. Really digging the song. At 4:50 the clean tone and the harsh tone don't really "blend" well in my opinion. Not really feeling how you wanted that to work. Also how is this 5:20? Time really flew by which is always good. I like me some good long prog tracks.

SO to sum up:
The music is most definitely very killer. I'm hearing some Animals as Leaders, a hint of Vildhjarta and a healthy dose of BTBAM. And I mean when you combine stuff like that there's not much that can go wrong those 3 are easily one of my favorite modern metal bands so hearing something like all 3 of them is cool. Guitar playing is very tight too, altough perhaps it would be better if the delay at the start lined up with the timing, or maybe triplets if you'd wanted to be a bit proggier because it makes it sound a bit sloppy in my opinion. That doesn't make the song less awesome though.

Production wise, it sounds cool though. You're giving me a Animals as Leaders vibe production wise. Only thing I can comment on that is that perhaps you could make it "breath" a bit more. Like create some more space for the individual parts somehow. It's beyond my scope of knowledge to tell you how so this comment might be a bit useless but I'm just putting it out there.

Listening to some more of your tracks on your soundcloud, most of them are prewty cool. That riff at 0:45 in Dark Matters is really damn tasy and groove. I'm going full Jens there.

Completely offtopic: how do you like the Bare Knuckles? I'm thinking of upgrading from my Seymor Duncan Custom to either a SD Distortion or Bareknuckles. The price for a Bareknuckle is kind of steep though so I'm still a bit in doubt. Where did you upgrade from to the Bareknucke? And how was the improvement.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Suprising transition from the intro to the distorted riff. I like it. The break coming after it (2:15) sounded sick but I'd put less gain on the rhythm or made them down a bit because leads before the break were drowned from time to time (or maybe it's just me? ) Nice banging riff around 3.00. But I didn't like the break after 3.18, didn't suit well for me. From 3:45 the piece rocks Generally it sounded great to me and I was curious about the following part but after listening more than once I was under the impression that it was somewhat overwritten, maybe because of too much gain here and there (but it's only my opinion) or because the break at 3.18 - too off for me
BUT! in general, great composition, entertaining to listen.

Check out my piece if you please https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1604486
Quote by pinguinpanic
Hai, writing as I listen:

Intro sounds rather mysterious. A bit like an omnious quenstion mark. It does sound a bit sloppy-ish somehow but I can't actually pin point why. Perhaps organic would be a more appropriate word, but the way that the delay doesn't match up with the timing at makes it a bit sloppy somehow. I like the combination of the muted guitar with the insane amount of delay.

BAAM 1:08 stuff is going down. Sounds awesome I like the ammount of texture and layers, it just seems so full and you really smeared the bass frequencies down which sounds pretty awesome on my speakers. Makes them really move some air. At 2:00 I'm feeling a bit of an Animals As Leaders vibe which is always awesome. I like how you return the theme. The lead at 2:20 I don't dig as much as the rest, especially that like more blues-rock solo thing you do at 2:30 with the three tone repeat line doesn't really fit the atmosphere of the song. The part pre 3:00 is very awesome. The part at 3:00 is also awesome. I like where the bas guitar is oging at 3:20 and the ska-kind of rhytm thing on the guitar combines well with the tone you're using. Reminds me of vildhjarta and the likes. But at 3:50 you're all like BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME MAN. With their kind of groove and their use of blast-beats very nice. 4:00 is still giving me a BTBAM vibe. And the 4:24 is also kind of BTBAMish with a little return to the theme which is awesome. Really digging the song. At 4:50 the clean tone and the harsh tone don't really "blend" well in my opinion. Not really feeling how you wanted that to work. Also how is this 5:20? Time really flew by which is always good. I like me some good long prog tracks.

SO to sum up:
The music is most definitely very killer. I'm hearing some Animals as Leaders, a hint of Vildhjarta and a healthy dose of BTBAM. And I mean when you combine stuff like that there's not much that can go wrong those 3 are easily one of my favorite modern metal bands so hearing something like all 3 of them is cool. Guitar playing is very tight too, altough perhaps it would be better if the delay at the start lined up with the timing, or maybe triplets if you'd wanted to be a bit proggier because it makes it sound a bit sloppy in my opinion. That doesn't make the song less awesome though.

Production wise, it sounds cool though. You're giving me a Animals as Leaders vibe production wise. Only thing I can comment on that is that perhaps you could make it "breath" a bit more. Like create some more space for the individual parts somehow. It's beyond my scope of knowledge to tell you how so this comment might be a bit useless but I'm just putting it out there.

Listening to some more of your tracks on your soundcloud, most of them are prewty cool. That riff at 0:45 in Dark Matters is really damn tasy and groove. I'm going full Jens there.

Completely offtopic: how do you like the Bare Knuckles? I'm thinking of upgrading from my Seymor Duncan Custom to either a SD Distortion or Bareknuckles. The price for a Bareknuckle is kind of steep though so I'm still a bit in doubt. Where did you upgrade from to the Bareknucke? And how was the improvement.

Nailed all the influences dead on and by the parts save for Vildjharta, I never heard of them until long after I wrote this, it's likely more Periphery than anything.

Also thanks a ton for the in-depth comment!!

On the topic of Bareknuckles, they are one of the best investments I've ever made for improving sound. All the hype you may have heard is spot on. No type of pickup I've ever played has the level of clarity, definition, articulation, and overall quality of sound that I've found in BKPs. I use the Aftermaths and the Blackhawks and they're both absolutely stellar. I'd say their true value is at $120, and you can find it at a closer price at the Axe Palace, but yeah they're a bit steep in price, but I've never found another pickup brand of this caliber. I strongly recommend giving them a shot

In my PRS and Ibanez, I was upgrading from the HFS and Bass PUPs in a Custom 24, which sounded great but very loose, hence why I chose the Aftermath set. In my Ibanez it was the DiMarzio Fred I replaced in a JS1200 bridge with yet another Aftermath. In my Carvin DC727 I swapped the stock bridge C26 for a Blackhawk, and I think it's my favorite BKP to date. I actually kept the stock neck PUP as it is very close to my ideal neck tone. If you have any more questions or just want to know more about either of those BKPs or some other BKPs just let me know, I love talking to people about them and trying to get them into BKPs (if you can't tell I'm extremely satisfied with them )
Last edited by boratian at Jun 6, 2013,
Thanks for the info. Man those are some nice guitars you own. I'm still kind of in doubt with the pick-ups, but the thing is my friend who plays with me in every band recently got a Mayones which is absolutely killer sound wise, and he's going to swap out the SD JB for a Distortion so his tone is going to absolutely crush my Cort Mayones/PRS clone. So im slightly in doubt if I should go for BK, a cheaper Seymour Duncan or save the moneyfor a guitar. Do you have any covers on the pickups? Because they have some awesome humbucker cover's, but I'm afraid it'll change the sound. Any experience with that?
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Thanks for the feedback!

Song itself is really good, great job keeping it interesting throughout with all the dynamics. Great guitar tones as the others have said, though I would've perhaps turned down the clean guitar at the beginning a little though, give the transition more impact. I would also turn the drums up a bit, particularly the snare as I can hardly hear it, although that's more just personal preference. Great job overall though!
Quote by pinguinpanic
Thanks for the info. Man those are some nice guitars you own. I'm still kind of in doubt with the pick-ups, but the thing is my friend who plays with me in every band recently got a Mayones which is absolutely killer sound wise, and he's going to swap out the SD JB for a Distortion so his tone is going to absolutely crush my Cort Mayones/PRS clone. So im slightly in doubt if I should go for BK, a cheaper Seymour Duncan or save the moneyfor a guitar. Do you have any covers on the pickups? Because they have some awesome humbucker cover's, but I'm afraid it'll change the sound. Any experience with that?

I have a battleworn cover on the Aftermath in my Ibanez and it doesn't alter the tone at all. The tone is naturally brighter than my PRS since it's basswood, so there really is no adverse affect. The coils are also exposed on most BKP covers so there really is no noticeable tone difference