Poll: Is HS graduation a big deal?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is HS graduation a big deal?
Yes
31 21%
No
115 79%
Voters: 146.
Page 1 of 3
No. People make way too big a deal of it. I didn't even go to mine.
Check out my band Disturbed
Sure why not. Nothing like celebrating your successes and be proud of yourself.

Pretty sure you're a dick if you say otherwise.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
i yell at graduations because i like a chance to yell really loud. but i feel a little bit sorry for the people who take actual pride in family members graduating high school. it's not an achievement, it's to be expected. in many instances i feel similarly about college graduations, but some are pretty worthy of praise depending on their personal situation or field of study. i guess that could be true of high school, but less so.

EDIT: to clarify, i'm all for celebrating graduations as a milestone in a kid's life. but call it like it is. don't oversell it as if the kid accomplished some insurmountable task. it's just the bare minimum of what society expects from its members. or should expect from them.
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at May 31, 2013,
I think it's definitely an important milestone, but as an event, you can take it however you want.

But I think what makes it important is family and friends. Picture it like this: They want to show you they are happy you passed this milestone, but the only way to show it is by making a big deal of it. Hence, the graduation ceremony.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at May 31, 2013,
the ceremony is no big deal, but actually graduating is.
i don't know why i feel so dry
The ceremony for mine was last week. I didnt go. I celebrated, went to an after grad party, but the actual ceremony wasn't something I was interested in attending. I dont really feel like its a big deal, mainly because it wasnt something I tried very hard for, nor was it something that really felt like an achievement.
no it's dumb and it exists to make the school look great for the achievements of very few all while spouting all this pseudo-optimistic borderline nationalistic bullshit about all being a family to the school and belonging it to it no matter what, all the while generalizing all of the students with phrases like "you all have the same great opportunities, you all will follow your dreams and succeed" which is only true for the white, straight, middle class students while all the minorities are living in poverty and struggling with addiction and family issues, or the queer kids having to live in fear every day from bullying and harassment from their fellow students or "family members" and will probably continually face that discrimination their entire life, or how every girl was subject to their sexuality and gender being oppressed by sexist as hell "dress codes" and sexual harassment from boys that gets casually written off as "boys being boys," or kids with depression, anxiety, eating disorders, or other mental illness are forced into a triggering, toxic, and unsafe environment every single goddamn day

that was a lot more angsty than i intended it for it to be

anyway high school blows smoke weed
Graduating is an important thing to do but the ceremony thing seems so lame, as are all the cheesy high school things (which happen to be full of false optimism, discrimination, and general insincerity). There is no reason to celebrate this at all, as it is expected of you. I guess you should be happy you didn't screw up, but even then, those who do 'screw up' almost always have so much going on (like ****ing poverty for example) that it is borderline immoral to feel happy about this.

So yeah, next year I don't want any of this, hopefully it'll just be business as usual.

That was also way more angsty than intended.
It is if any of your parents or any of their parents didn't graduate. Not to me, but to them.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I personally don't think it's that big of a deal. In fact it's kind of irritating how boring high school is, and then graduation comes and people always say things like "omg I can't believe we made it!" I mean what was gonna happen? Was your head going to explode during a geometry test?

...and then you find out that your parents and half of your family never finished high school, and then you feel like a dick.
I'm gonna suffer for the rest of my life

But I will always find a way to survive
Me and my friend went to a kebab shop instead of our graduation.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by StewieSwan
No. People make way too big a deal of it. I didn't even go to mine.

Exactly the same as this.
STಠ_ಠ
As a kid I thought it was a little bit of a big deal. As an adult (I use that term loosely) I don't really think it's a big deal. When you're younger you want to celebrate things. It's just like celebrating birthdays. When I was a kid birthdays were the shit. Now that I'm older I hope that people forget my birthday.
No, neither is an Associates or Bachelor's from a college not nationally ranked in the top 25 or from a difficult major.
If you didn't go to graduation at my school you didn't get your diploma. But that's okay cuz my class was pretty cool and it was a fun last time being with them bitches.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I don't think it's really about the celebration of getting done with high school, it's more of the commencement of the rest of your life.

In that way it kind of is a big deal.
Not necessarily, but it was a pretty fun time in my life. It was nice going to parties with your friends and having one last hurrah with some of them before they left for other places in life.
I pride myself on my humility.
With the education laws the way they are now, it's hardly an accomplishment. When I was in high school, there was some kid showing off about graduating in the top 40%.

40%
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by primusfan
i yell at graduations because i like a chance to yell really loud. but i feel a little bit sorry for the people who take actual pride in family members graduating high school. it's not an achievement, it's to be expected. in many instances i feel similarly about college graduations, but some are pretty worthy of praise depending on their personal situation or field of study. i guess that could be true of high school, but less so.

This.

When people congratulate me for graduating high school I feel somewhat insulted. Was their any chance of me not? It is basically an "accomplishment" which takes absolutely zero effort to achieve. I enjoyed it because I was with my friends, dressed fancy, and performed in front of everybody. It's more of a time to remember your friends, take pictures, and share memories because for a lot of us, we are parting ways as we go to different universities/faculties.

Getting into a high ranking university and graduating out of that with a respectable degree, now THAT is a big deal.

So yeh, my $.02. Just had it a few weeks ago
People claim to have 'graduated' from high school? I've always simply said that I 'finished' it. But whatever tickles your pickle.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by megano28
With the education laws the way they are now, it's hardly an accomplishment. When I was in high school, there was some kid showing off about graduating in the top 40%.

40%

I ended up in the top 10% with a few classes failed lol
Quote by Todd Hart
People claim to have 'graduated' from high school? I've always simply said that I 'finished' it. But whatever tickles your pickle.

That's what you call it when you finish high school.
Quote by Weaponized
That's what you call it when you finish high school.

Seems like a rather generous ascription.
Quote by Todd Hart
Seems like a rather generous ascription.

But it's what you call it. Like the ceremony where 2 people are married being a "wedding". It's what it is called.
I didn't go to my graduation ceremony either. I would say that finishing high school nowadays is not a huge accomplishment. Anybody can get their high school diploma fairly easily. There's all sorts of programs set up for kids that want to do co-op instead of actually "book-learning", so it's almost impossible not to graduate, in southwestern Ontario anyway.
It's not. I actually graduated like 4 months ago but am going to the graduation ceremony with everyone else in a week. Which totally sucks cause it's like, we already celebrated me doing this once why on Earth would I want to do it again?
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Quote by Weaponized
But it's what you call it. Like the ceremony where 2 people are married being a "wedding". It's what it is called.

Yeah but a graduation ceremony for a high school is like gay marriage, it doesn't really count.
When it's sort of expected that you graduate, why should it be considered an achievement. When you graduate from college, then everyone should make a big deal out of it. High school graduation should just be a small party; that's it. I don't know why people make a big deal out of it all.
lol, on my last day of school we just played a bunch of ridiculous pranks (1000 paper planes into a classroom surprise attack, covering the head of sixth's office in tinfoil etc) and went downt pub to get hammered. There was no gay ceremony or anything.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
When it's sort of expected that you graduate, why should it be considered an achievement. When you graduate from college, then everyone should make a big deal out of it. High school graduation should just be a small party; that's it. I don't know why people make a big deal out of it all.
Yeah idk why people celebrate birthdays they didn't even do anything
Quote by aCloudConnected
no it's dumb and it exists to make the school look great for the achievements of very few all while spouting all this pseudo-optimistic borderline nationalistic bullshit about all being a family to the school and belonging it to it no matter what, all the while generalizing all of the students with phrases like "you all have the same great opportunities, you all will follow your dreams and succeed" which is only true for the white, straight, middle class students while all the minorities are living in poverty and struggling with addiction and family issues, or the queer kids having to live in fear every day from bullying and harassment from their fellow students or "family members" and will probably continually face that discrimination their entire life, or how every girl was subject to their sexuality and gender being oppressed by sexist as hell "dress codes" and sexual harassment from boys that gets casually written off as "boys being boys," or kids with depression, anxiety, eating disorders, or other mental illness are forced into a triggering, toxic, and unsafe environment every single goddamn day

that was a lot more angsty than i intended it for it to be

anyway high school blows smoke weed

Did you just say all the minorities live in poverty. Lolok.
Quote by Weaponized
Yeah idk why people celebrate birthdays they didn't even do anything

That wasn't what I meant to imply at all. What I meant was that we have people who literally act like their kids reach the high point of their lives upon HS graduation, and that's bad.

Quote by captainsnazz
lol, on my last day of school we just played a bunch of ridiculous pranks (1000 paper planes into a classroom surprise attack, covering the head of sixth's office in tinfoil etc) and went downt pub to get hammered. There was no gay ceremony or anything.

Sounds a hell of a lot better than everyone sitting on a stage, and parents acting like they're so damn proud because their kid did something expected. Seriously, this is kind of what I was talking about when I said HS graduation should be a little party.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 31, 2013,
Page 1 of 3