Poll: Is the motivation for education intrinsic or extrinsic?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is the motivation for education intrinsic or extrinsic?
Intrinsic
16 29%
Extrinsic
40 71%
Voters: 56.
Page 1 of 2
So for my Psychology project, this is my topic.

Do you think that individuals in our society today pursue higher education (and education in general) for money and other benefits (extrinsic) or for self-growth and enlightenment? (intrinsic)

Do you think that it has changed from earlier generations?
What do you think the effect of money (and a capitalist society) has had on education?

Here is the full survey for any kind souls

Please help, I'll compensate you by sending you good vibes and karma points
Last edited by PapaKooLay at May 31, 2013,
For money and other benefits. Capitalism is the reason for this.

In the past (ancient times that is) when universities were first made, it was for self-growth and enlightenment.
STEM course students are likely financially motivated; humanities course students are likely more motivated by personal enlightenment.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
STEM course students are likely financially motivated; humanities course students are likely more motivated by personal enlightenment.

STEM programs are usually harder than business programs. Business students can make a lot more money upon graduation. Why would they go into a STEM course when business offers a greater fiscal reward?
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
Quote by metal4eva_22
STEM programs are usually harder than business programs. Business students can make a lot more money upon graduation. Why would they go into a STEM course when business offers a greater fiscal reward?

Because you're not enough of a twat to make it onto a business course?
To be successful. School rarely interests me enough to do it for the knowledge before other things. I prefer to learn what interests me on my own.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Your question is far too broad to get a good answer, but in todays society it is almost expected that you go to some type of schooling after high school or your countries equivent so its more than likely extrinsic.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Extrinsic. There's no way I'd be wading through this crap if a degree wasn't necessary for attaining a prestigious and lucrative position in life. If all I wanted was knowledge for personal enlightenment I'd hit the library.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Speaking from my own personal experience, intrinsic. I don't know about anyone else or what they study, but I keep going to uni cause I like it. It's fun, topics are interesting. Other people might be looking more towards what they'll get out of it at the end but if I were like that I'd probably get bored in the first couple classes and leave.
Well it obviously is a combination of both. It's not like you would study politics (or whatever subject you find least interesting) just because you would get most money from it. You got to have some personal interest in the subject as well. This, of course, differs greatly from person to person too, I'm sure there are some people that study law or medicine just for the money, but then on the other hand there are people who study things they find interesting (music/art) even though they would have the potential to go for that higher pay-grade engineer course or whatever.
You'll Never Walk Alone!
Ideally it should be intrinsic. But thanks to capitalism, it's all about making money.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
In mandatory eduction - because you have to.

First level of non-mandatory (in the UK, A-levels and to an extent a bachelors) - because you're expected to. With A-levels certainly I think they're viewed more a standard, not an extra. There are external pressures or reasons that aren't "benefits".

With degrees I guess it would depend a lot on what degree you're doing. I can't imagine someone doing an economics degree for self-satisfaction, but there are a lot of degrees you might do for that reason. Or of course simply to have fun and go somewhere new at uni.

Further than a bachelors though, it'd really have to be for some financial consideration considering how much it costs. Some people might pursue a career because they like it though. The education might be for a certain career, but you might be pursuing that career out of pursuit of self-satisfaction.
Quote by MadClownDisease
In mandatory eduction - because you have to.

First level of non-mandatory (in the UK, A-levels and to an extent a bachelors) - because you're expected to. With A-levels certainly I think they're viewed more a standard, not an extra. There are external pressures or reasons that aren't "benefits".

With degrees I guess it would depend a lot on what degree you're doing. I can't imagine someone doing an economics degree for self-satisfaction, but there are a lot of degrees you might do for that reason. Or of course simply to have fun and go somewhere new at uni.

Further than a bachelors though, it'd really have to be for some financial consideration considering how much it costs. Some people might pursue a career because they like it though. The education might be for a certain career, but you might be pursuing that career out of pursuit of self-satisfaction.

You must be confused with a business degree? I'm not doing a PhD in Economics for the money. I do it, because I like it and think there is a lot to contribute to it that is more scientific. Crazy idea that if I had stayed in the domain of Earth Sciences that you'd view me differently.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
You must be confused with a business degree? I'm not doing a PhD in Economics for the money. I do it, because I like it and think there is a lot to contribute to it that is more scientific. Crazy idea that if I had stayed in the domain of Earth Sciences that you'd view me differently.

I guess really you're more described by my last two sentences of that post, but no I'd probably view you similarly if you'd done sciences.

Of course it's possible to do these type of things for self-satisfaction, it just strikes me as a lot less usual or easy to take pleasure in for the sake of it than the more arty type of degrees. I guess maths would be a better example, though of course I am talking in general terms. I'm not trying to say nobody could enjoy economics or maths or chemistry for its own sake rather than for the sake of qualifications/careers, it just strikes me as more unusual.
the point of this project is to address both sides thoroughly and come to a conclusion. there's no clear answer imo.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
For some people it's neither of the two, they might just want to go somewhere new, meet new people and have fun for 3 years.

For me, it's a bit of both. I'm studying engineering because, if I get my degree, I am pretty much guaranteed a well paying job, as well as traveling opportunities and other good stuff.
At the same time though, I'm studying something I am pretty good at and have an active interest in, and I feel like I can help people as well.

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
People are extrinsic, but since that's evil they claim they are doing it for the knowledge and self-improvement.

As with most things in our modern society, complete bullshit.
To be honest, I only read because I hope to one day find something that will justify, in my mind, my acting like a complete c-unt.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
From experience I've noticed that most people who do stuff like Law, Medicine, Sciences, Maths, Economics and that sort of thing do it for the paper, I doubt someone would do an MA in Philosophy or Fine Arts if they wanted to be rich.
I think it starts off extrinsic, but as people find studies that they really enjoy it can shift to intrinsic.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I endure this lifestyle and unreasonably high workload because it's so rewarding and fulfilling.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
90% extrinsic 10% intrinsic
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
NOt only do students envision the money and benefits, but alot of the people i know use their "student" status as sort of a social "one-up" amongst anyone who isn't on their level .. which gets pretty ridic when alot of kids are in ******ed programs like psych, business or arts. Too many of those kids, all i gotta say.

High in extrinsic, sorta high in intrinsic, however in addition to them both, students can be cocky mother f***ers about the dumbest shit
Quote by dudester410
NOt only do students envision the money and benefits, but alot of the people i know use their "student" status as sort of a social "one-up" amongst anyone who isn't on their level .. which gets pretty ridic when alot of kids are in ******ed programs like psych, business or arts. Too many of those kids, all i gotta say.

High in extrinsic, sorta high in intrinsic, however in addition to them both, students can be cocky mother f***ers about the dumbest shit

sounds like you've got a chip on your shoulder.
Quote by dudester410

No-one's judging you because you failed uni.
Quote by neidnarb11890
i am.

So am I, but he wouldn't understand.
When I started a business program and dropped out, it was purely extrinsic. Now I'm in a program that I like and I would say that intrinsic motivation plays a significant role but that extrinsic factors still dominate. I enjoy having more accurate mental representations of the world around me but the real kicker is in being able to apply that knowledge to produce more fulfilling real life outcomes.
Quote by metal4eva_22

That really depends on the STEM program. Engineering and computer science can be just as and often more lucrative than business/accounting/economics.
What's up with all the business hate? It's just as legitimate as any other program
pinga
Poeple go to college now for the money and job benefits that come from it. That isn't what it used to be. People used to go to college for the education to make themselves smarter and better individuals. But since so many people have done so, most employers are looking for those who have gone to college and gotten degrees, making it harder for those who don't want to keep going to schooling to get a job. It has almost become a necessity to receive higher education to get a mediocre job now. What's more is that you will more than likely need a degree to even join the military soon.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Quote by Sewn Up
Poeple go to college now for the money and job benefits that come from it. That isn't what it used to be. People used to go to college for the education to make themselves smarter and better individuals. But since so many people have done so, most employers are looking for those who have gone to college and gotten degrees, making it harder for those who don't want to keep going to schooling to get a job. It has almost become a necessity to receive higher education to get a mediocre job now. What's more is that you will more than likely need a degree to even join the military soon.

Dem rose-tinted specs.
Page 1 of 2