Hi all,

I'm searching for a boost pedal at the moment, but I've got a Big Muff usa pedal that's sitting in a box unused. Is it possible to use it as a lead boost at all and if so could anyone please advise me on some setting to use it as such?

Many thanks,
Alex
not really, no. even at the lowest gain setting, it fuzzes up your signal. and then there's the inherent mid-scoop, which is exactly the opposite of what you want in a lead boost pedal.
Okay cheers guys thanks for the info, I'll be sticking it up on gumtree later today!
Sorry for the double post, I'd just like a bit of advice on what pedal would be good for boosting an already overdriven amp for solo's. Something that add's some Db's and a little bit of coloration? Unfortunately I'm on a bit of a budget but I'm open to any suggestions as i can always find used.
I don't know about Db's and coloration, but my first suggestion on a budget would be a Bad Monkey. About $50 USD new? Cheaper if used of course.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Well technically... you can use ANYTHING as a boost pedal. Remember that Echoplexes used to be used as a boost pedal with the delay parameters all turned down. The thing then, is will the effect you use give you the right boost for your sound.

If you're looking around... the Xotic EP Booster is a popular boost pedal. I got the SP Comp recently... and it works great as a comp and booster pedal.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
if you already have the thing it won't hurt to give it a shot. set the fuzz (sustain) control as low as possible (without making it sound terrible, some dirt pedals don't sound so good with the distortion control on zero), turn the volume up, and set the tone to taste.

that being said, i agree with the people saying that the muff wouldn't exactly be their first choice for a boost. but if you already have it, you might as well give it a try.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by alexctc
Sorry for the double post, I'd just like a bit of advice on what pedal would be good for boosting an already overdriven amp for solo's. Something that add's some Db's and a little bit of coloration? Unfortunately I'm on a bit of a budget but I'm open to any suggestions as i can always find used.

I don't know if it's even possible to add more decibels with a pedal in front of your amp because your amp is already overdriven. It doesn't get any louder if you add more pre amp gain to an already overdriven amp (and that's what a boost pedal does - or actually it adds pre-pre-amp gain). But you can make you sound louder by turning up the mids. So maybe get a pedal that boosts your mids.

As people have said, just try it. If it doesn't sound good, don't use it. But I would first try it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I've seen a Russian Muff used as a solo boost before. It wasn't terrible, but it didn't cut through the mix very well.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals