Been looking at getting a low watt amp mainly for home practice and home recording.

Drawn to blackstar for the price and also appears to have a good tone, sounds like a marshall.
Is it true blackstar was created by ex Marshall employees?

Which would you advise getting?
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
Quote by Wesbanez
Niether, you want an Egnater Tweaker 15w

No, he doesn't. He wants a low-wattage tube amp; 15W is not low wattage.

I just bought my Blackstar HT-1 on an impulse purchase... 2 weeks later I'm still loving it.

Hold up and I'll link you to my NAD thread!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31479336#post31479336
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Last edited by Weeping_Demon7 at May 31, 2013,
^ if he wants a tube amp why would he buy an ht1 or ht5?

admittedly, he didn't say he necessarily wanted a tube amp
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
How much are you looking to spend?

I've been looking at the 1-watt Marshall's recently; the JCM1 and JVM1, they sound great and are 1 watt with a 0.1 watt mode, the only issue is they cost about £500!!!
I wasn't a huge fan of the HT20 I played, just was a very lifeless amp imo. Didn't sound bad, just wasn't anything special. I haven't played the HT-5 or the HT-1, but I'm guessing it's more of the same.

Quote by Weeping_Demon7

Don't know if I agree with that, 15 watts is low wattage in my book Either way, there isn't going to be a huge volume difference between any of those amps.

Tweaker sounds great at low volumes, I would highly recommend checking one out. You may also want to consider a modeling setup (the POD HD's are pretty great) if you want to focus on recording.
I have an HT-5R beautiful sounding "tube" amp. It is all PCB and might as well be called a hybrid amp. The only reason they call it tube is because it has a tube in the power section. Either way fantastic practice amp. I personally would recommend an attenuator for a high powered tube amp. You get all of the tone at lower volumes. Much better investment. I have one that works in the effects chain as a voltage limiter and it works like charm.
~My Gear~
68 Sunn Sorado
Acoustic 4x12
89 Epiphone LP Honeyburst
Boss ME-70

Fender Dreadnought Acoustic
Ibanez RG350DX
Blackstar HT-5R
Orange CR35LDX
Vox Tonelab ST
I won a HT1R from devildriver themselves and well its helped my studio work alot, the sound from the speaker isnt the best but it is only 8" i use the record out into pro tools and it sounds awesome, really does well at high gain ( its not going to sound super saturated as there is only one pre amp tube ) but it sounds alot bigger than a 1watt when using the record out. If only it had a full range of eq and not just the ISP knob which shapes the mid range, i keep it to the left in the US tone side as i find this to be abit tighter and to my ears has more treble ( i have dark sounding guitars) the HT5 i have only played in a store and i did like it alot and the added tube in the pre amp adds more gain and it will take a OD pedal better. I would recomend either for home recording it just depends on your budget
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

My band: www.facebook.com/deifieduk
(actually called Deified)
I have HT-1 for home use and while it handles the job, it isn't really that amazing.
After all, I got GT-5 for home use as well to handle the sounds and this amp is practically working just as a speaker, but it adds some "tube" feel to the sound. Sounds like a Marshall? Eeeeh, not really at least these two.. I've also tried Blackstar Series One head and I definitely liked my ex-amp Marshall DSL401 a lot more..

The HT-1 and HT-5 are worth the money, but then there is Laney with Ironheart series. Their 15w head goes from 15w to <1w and the other line-up has watt reduction options too. The sound is amazing. For it's price, it's astounding.
If it's just for recording and home use, you could easily go for the IRT-Studio and their cabinet line is quite inexpensive as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzRRhbazZ_c

I'm not trying to advertise Laney (or I am) but I have tried the IRT60 with IRT412 cab and for the price of just 999 euros (the bundle) the options you get are amazing. I wish I had those boosts and push-pull knobs on my VH100R.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at May 31, 2013,
Quote by festivalinhell
I have an HT-5R beautiful sounding "tube" amp. It is all PCB and might as well be called a hybrid amp. The only reason they call it tube is because it has a tube in the power section. Either way fantastic practice amp. I personally would recommend an attenuator for a high powered tube amp. You get all of the tone at lower volumes. Much better investment. I have one that works in the effects chain as a voltage limiter and it works like charm.

An effective attenuator for tube amps do not live in the effects loop, it should be in-between the power section and the speaker. If you are attenuating the loop, all you are doing is lowering the preamp volume - and are not getting the tonal benefits of an over-driven power tube signal to the speaker(s).

Correctly attenuating a high powered tube amp down to practice/bedroom levels not only gives you crap tone, it also prematurely wears out the tubes. An attenuator is for taming overbearing volumes down to bearable volumes - NOT down to bedroom levels.

If you have a high power amp and you want to practice at bedroom levels... save your money and buy a cheap practice amp (Vyper and such). It will probably be cheaper than buying an decent attenuator.
Quote by fergus74
How much are you looking to spend?

I've been looking at the 1-watt Marshall's recently; the JCM1 and JVM1, they sound great and are 1 watt with a 0.1 watt mode, the only issue is they cost about £500!!!

It's because those are limited editions, every one of those amps is produced just a little bit more than a 1000 models.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

What Dave_Mc said

TS says he wants a low wattage amp because he thinks that'll mean it sounds good at low volumes. Using watts as a measure of volume/quality is stupid. I've owned plenty of high watt amps that sounded great at low/bedroom volumes.

The Egnater Tweaker sounds better than those crappy Blackstars at any volume, and more importantly sounds great at low volumes. And yes I have owned both so can speak from a position of somewhat authority.
Last edited by Wesbanez at May 31, 2013,
Quote by festivalinhell
I have an HT-5R beautiful sounding "tube" amp. It is all PCB and might as well be called a hybrid amp. The only reason they call it tube is because it has a tube in the power section.

it has a preamp tube as well, to be fair. just it has a bunch of op-amp gain stages, clipping diodes and a transistor-based phase inverter as well.

Quote by peavey6505+user
its not going to sound super saturated as there is only one pre amp tube

i dunno why not, they add a shedload of ss stuff to that one preamp tube, lol
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Wesbanez
What Dave_Mc said

TS says he wants a low wattage amp because he thinks that'll mean it sounds good at low volumes. Using watts as a measure of volume/quality is stupid. I've owned plenty of high watt amps that sounded great at low/bedroom volumes.

The Egnater Tweaker sounds better than those crappy Blackstars at any volume, and more importantly sounds great at low volumes. And yes I have owned both so can speak from a position of somewhat authority.

No I don't believe wattage is a way to measure volume.
But a 1 watt sounds considerably quieter than 100watt.

as you can see from my Sig I have a 100watt marshall. Even at volume level 1 it is too loud and has better any bite to it. Only really gets a good tone when cranked past 4 or 5.

my other amp options are all sims, pod and amplitube on iPad.

I was just thinking about a nice small amp I can Mic up and get a good tone out of.

I'd love a 1 watt Marshall jvm or maybe the slash 5 watt or something similar but I can't really afford it.

Great advice so far guys
Much appreciated
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
Quote by nightwalker903
No I don't believe wattage is a way to measure volume.
But a 1 watt sounds considerably quieter than 100watt.

as you can see from my Sig I have a 100watt marshall. Even at volume level 1 it is too loud and has better any bite to it. Only really gets a good tone when cranked past 4 or 5.

my other amp options are all sims, pod and amplitube on iPad.

I was just thinking about a nice small amp I can Mic up and get a good tone out of.

What you're describing is the properties of one amp you happen to have in your bedroom, its not a universal truth that high wattage amps sound crap at low volumes, is all I was saying.

Have you checked out the Egnater Rebel 20?
The distortion channel on the HT-1 isn’t much quieter than the HT-5. It has more gain on tap than the HT-5, enough so that even at low volumes it is prone to raucous feedback if you’re anywhere near it. Neither one has a volume pot with a curve appropriate to a practice amp; both rapidly jump up in volume to louder-than-TV levels if you use the overdrive channel. And with the gain cranked the HT-1 combo it sounds tinny and boxy. The lack of a midrange control on the HT-1 can get really irritating because it has crazy thick mids on some settings and they can makes the combo resonate in a gross way.

If you just need to record and practice get one of the Blackstar pedals instead. The pedals do everything the amps do, with excellent speaker-emulated output. Plug them into a set of speakers and you have good sound at any volume you want. That’s pretty good hardware for the money.
OP, so is your budget £2-350 or can you go higher?

Just because its intended for home use doesn't mean you need to compromise on your sound. Don't rule out higher wattage amps as quite a few of the newer type with good master volumes sound great at lower volumes.

Ignore the pure valve v adding a couple of diodes and a valve stuff. Go with what your ears like.

I've got a JVM 205 and it sounds fantastic at low volumes. I've also got a dsl 1 watt that also sounds fantastic at low volumes. But, both amps sound even better with a bit of volume as do all amps

If your after marshall, I'd have a look at the sl5 as it looks reasonable value. I'd also look at orange (quite like the look of the dual terror). If you're set on blackstar and play a lot of metal, they are just about to release a metal version of the ht-series amps.
Quote by -Ed-
OP, so is your budget £2-350 or can you go higher?

Just because its intended for home use doesn't mean you need to compromise on your sound. Don't rule out higher wattage amps as quite a few of the newer type with good master volumes sound great at lower volumes.

Ignore the pure valve v adding a couple of diodes and a valve stuff. Go with what your ears like.

I've got a JVM 205 and it sounds fantastic at low volumes. I've also got a dsl 1 watt that also sounds fantastic at low volumes. But, both amps sound even better with a bit of volume as do all amps

If your after marshall, I'd have a look at the sl5 as it looks reasonable value. I'd also look at orange (quite like the look of the dual terror). If you're set on blackstar and play a lot of metal, they are just about to release a metal version of the ht-series amps.

. Sorry for late reply.
I wouldn't really want to go much higher. I'm currently saving and with a house car bills etc to pay each month it's coming quite slow so any higher would take months. I've still got Mic to buy plus want new studio desk and then a new guitar. So long way to go.

don't really play much metal. More a punk/hard rock style with bit of metal influence peeking through.

I'd love a 1 watt JVM, the demo vid blew my mind but £600 is too much without finance and that's an option I don't want to consider at moment unless save a big chunk first
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
My brain hurts.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
My brain hurts.

This thread hurt to read.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.