Hey UGers

I'm sure a lot of you have had this problem, and I was wondering if any of you have found a way around this problem... I've noticed that when I first pick up the guitar for a session that my playing is noticeably slower and more tense, even when doing warm ups for more than a little while. I only seem to hit my optimal playing speed after an hour and a half of playing, which I need to perform the songs in my current band. Besides making an ass out of myself playing on unfamiliar setups in Guitar Center, this also poses a problem when it comes time for the full practice. My only solution appears to be practicing constantly so I am always warmed up or close to it, but this also causes muscle and tendon pain if I do it too much... Has anyone found a particularly effective way of expediting the warm-up practice?
Blah blah blah RGD2127Z blah blah blah ENGL E670 blah blah Axe-FX II blah blah *vomits*
I have deduced that I have circulation issues in my hand and have found a few ways to help. I run my hands under warm-hot water and stretch each finger out along with my forearms. After that I squeeze my hands into fists for about 10~ seconds and wave them about a bit/stretch more (this isn't a science ha ha). It's all just mean't to increase blood flow. I do this before my warm up and if I do it elevates the problem you just described, for me at least.
Last edited by ScoutPilfer at May 31, 2013,
I play part of the Master of Puppets riff with my fingers to loosen them up & wake them up. Other than that I've never really had a problem. Never warmed up for a gig, I just pick it up and play.

The riff part I mean:

A------2------3-----4-----3
E-0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1-- etc etc
Try massaging your hands, arms, and shoulders a bit. John Petrucci covers this in his DVD, Rock Discipline. It's a DVD that helped me out a LOT. I strongly suggest it, in your case. It covers warming up your hands and quick ways to do that. It goes for something like $15 new, I think, but I'm sure you can find a bootlegged version somewhere.
Quote by The.new.guy
Try massaging your hands, arms, and shoulders a bit. John Petrucci covers this in his DVD, Rock Discipline. It's a DVD that helped me out a LOT. I strongly suggest it, in your case. It covers warming up your hands and quick ways to do that. It goes for something like $15 new, I think, but I'm sure you can find a bootlegged version somewhere.

Everywhere I've found it online charges $35-$45 for it.
Quote by AndyGray
I play part of the Master of Puppets riff with my fingers to loosen them up & wake them up. Other than that I've never really had a problem. Never warmed up for a gig, I just pick it up and play.

The riff part I mean:

A------2------3-----4-----3
E-0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1-- etc etc

LOL, this!

That shit warms up you faster than a bare foot jack rabbit on a hot greasy griddle in the middle of august.

Always end up sweating by the end of the song