Im trying to improve my overall guitar playing (electric), which is a better way? :
A. Learn songs note for note
B. learn licks
Im trying to learn voodoo child and since ive been loving you note for note because my im not very good creating fast licks. Or should I try to learn licks so it wont be too much time consuming?
It depends - learning songs all the way through is good for practising rhythm, especially the transition between lead licks and playing chords. Learning licks and repeating them would benefit your lead/soloing technique more.

I tend to pick out small sections of solos that I particularly like and practise them a lot, so when it comes to improvising my own lead work I have individual set patterns that I can always fall back on. I even throw in the Voodoo Child lick once in a while...

In my opinion there's no shame in copying what's already been done - if it's in a different context and sounds good then why not!
Thanks for your answer.

Yup! but the thing is learning songs note for note is just too time consuming and it drives me crazy haha. On the other hand i cant improvise with fast licks, such as songs like voodoo child. So what would be your suggestion?
If you're learning songs without the licks in the songs... you're not really learning the song, are you?

And learning licks doesn't do much good if you don't learn what chords they're relevant to.

Learning songs note-for-note is time consuming at first, but it's so much more beneficial. Real musicality is found in the fine details that professionals know how to play with, and the only way to hear and play with that level of subtlety is to play songs that demand it.
Last edited by cdgraves at May 31, 2013,
I'd just learn the basic structure of the song & any particular licks you like. Then play it & try add your own improvised licks.

I'd really start off with some Gary Moore style blues backing track & work out from there.
Quote by AndyGray
I'd just learn the basic structure of the song & any particular licks you like. Then play it & try add your own improvised licks.

This. This will help your improvisation technique, and learning repeat licks, or any licks, really, will help your playing technique. Although, learning songs will help you understand how to write better, and give you something to shoot for. I suppose you could say there's a balance here. Learn licks, and use them to improvise over your favorite songs/backings, but also learn songs to keep stuff from getting too boring. Lick after lick will only get you so far, ya know?

Honestly, this is something I need to work on. I've got a million licks in my "lick vocabulary," but I only know a few songs all the way through.
Quote by porkplan
Im trying to improve my overall guitar playing (electric), which is a better way? :
A. Learn songs note for note
B. learn licks
Im trying to learn voodoo child and since ive been loving you note for note because my im not very good creating fast licks. Or should I try to learn licks so it wont be too much time consuming?

Good question, and here's the answer: both.

''Or should I try to learn licks so it wont be too much time consuming?''

Bad question. If you aren't willing to pay the price, don't be surprised if you won't be good at either A or B or both.