I've got this interface http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/recording-studio/detail.asp?stock=10111811022732&gclid=CLK7soDQwLcCFbMdtAod7yIA9Q

I've got a Shure sm57, a decent amp and cab, and reaper. If I'm recording 1 guitar, I'm struggling to see anywhere on the internet the advantage of buying an expensive interface apart from the fact you can record more things at once with more ports.

What is the advantage of buying a more expensive interface? I haven't actually seen someone say that the recording quality will be better.
Recording quality will be better.

More specifically, the preamp will be of (much) higher quality, it will have lower latency, there will be more options (like phase buttons, Line/DI switches, headphone jacks and volume controls, perhaps even compressors/EQs) and the general build quality could be more sturdy.

Also, some interfaces can handle higher sample rates than others, producing clearer fidelity.

Some interfaces are designed for rack placement, as opposed to desktop placement.

Some will have different input combinations, such as XLR, 1/4", RCA, S/PDIF, and MIDI in/out/thru. Same goes for outputs.

The biggest things most people look for when upgrading are preamp quality and in/out options.

Keep in mind, you don't need a new interface until you start to notice the shortcomings of the one you have. Don't let what other interfaces offer distract you from what you're doing now, it's easy to get psyched out and think that you can't create good music unless you have crazy equipment. Use your ears, and remember to be a musician first, engineer second.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at May 31, 2013,
How exactly can I tell if something will have a better recording quality, as in is there a number or category which represents a high quality pre-amp? All that I care about is quality and I guess latency - I only need one input after all.
Quote by Ubadood
How exactly can I tell if something will have a better recording quality, as in is there a number or category which represents a high quality pre-amp? All that I care about is quality and I guess latency - I only need one input after all.

Can you imagine manufacturers having to put something like that on the box? There are relevant specs, though; check for anything with "noise" in the name, but keep in mind they're measured differently. So if you're comparing the "equivalent input noise" rating for each interface, make sure that's the number you're reading.
And yes, they are deliberately making it difficult for you.
Latency is more of a software-side issue; it shouldn't change too much from interface to interface.
Read the reviews. You can't really measure how "good" something sounds by looking at the specs.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.