Hey guys,

I'm mainly a bass player, but lately I've been trying to teach myself to play guitar on this little Squier electric that I have. (Mostly just learning chords and changing between them fast and efficiently). I'm interested in getting a beginner acoustic guitar (something relatively inexpensive but decent quality) and I had a question concerning body styles and sizes. Basically, I'm really short (like 5'4'') and I'm also pretty skinny and don't have very big hands. Are there any acoustic guitar brands or styles that have somewhat smaller bodies? I'll obviously be testing it out before I buy it, but I was just wondering what to look for. Thanks!
Here's a body size chart from Martin: http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/guitars/sizetype.html

For reference "D" is "dreadnought", and "J" would be "Jumbo".

If you're that concerned about body size, most makers post the dimensions and/or silhouettes of their various categories.

You best tactic here is to hit Guitar Center and find out what feels good to you. If they don't have the size, model, and brand, (together), that does it for you, then it's off to buy online with you....

As to scale length, most larger acoustics are somewhere around 25.5". Short scale for a full size instrument would be 24.5". (Think Les Paul scale length).

Do you really think the scale length of a guitar is going to be a problem for someone moving over from the bass, most of which have a 30", (or thereabouts) scale length?

(I've never played bass, so that is an honest question).
I'm not really worried about the scale length because like you said, I play bass which is much longer. I'm more worried about the size of the body and comfortably putting my arm over it and strumming while sitting down, etc. But yeah, I sort of figured I would probably just have to head over to guitar center and see if I can find a guitar I feel comfortable with.
Quote by ccmetz2020
I'm not really worried about the scale length because like you said, I play bass which is much longer. I'm more worried about the size of the body and comfortably putting my arm over it and strumming while sitting down, etc. But yeah, I sort of figured I would probably just have to head over to guitar center and see if I can find a guitar I feel comfortable with.
Nobody is evading your issues, nor premeditatedly or unknowingly stating the obvious.

But, the reality is, we don't have a jobbie like they use to measure shoe sizes to measure guitar players for guitars. Plus, in any event, you're not here in the store with us anyway...sorry.
Oh sorry I didn't mean to make it sound like you weren't helpful haha. I just meant to say I agree that going to guitar center would probably be my best tactic since like you alluded to, it's kind of hard to suggest guitars if you aren't physically with me or looking at me with a guitar. I do appreciate the reply!
i'll see about getting NASA to invent us one of those little "jobbies". we should at least get some return on our tax dollars that makes sense to us.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
I like acoustics that are a bit smaller than dreadnaughts: Grand Auditorium, OM and Larrivee's L shape are (for me) more comfortable to play than a dreadnaught, but still retain good bass tone.
yeah, grand auditoriums, grand symphony sized ones. dreads are uncomfortable for me.
tried a wonderful GS guitar today( no need to try one out for me patticake, i found one and it'll be coming home shortly..if i didnt have to have the central air fixed, it'd be here already).
the size is perfect ! not too bright, very comfortable to play for a while. i spent about an hour and a half with it without discomfort. it's not so small that strumming seems shallow, not so large that picking is still clear.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
any 000, 00, 0 sized guitars are smaller than a dread - although the lower bout on a 000 is close to as wide. also grand concerts are smaller and a little different, i believe - grand auditoriums are almost as large in the lower bout as a dread. btw, i find a jumbo is easier on my right shoulder than a dread, possibly due to the curve and where my arm falls on the body.

i used to play long scale bass, but the bodies on basses and the way they interact make a huge difference. i find 25.5" scale guitars make my left shoulder sore if i play long - go figure!

stepchildusmc, now i really can't wait to try one. having a rough week, but hopefully get time for a visit to gc soon. btw, i replied to your pm a couple days ago...
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!