Hey guys, I am going to pick up a blacktop telecaster hh today, but i still need to make a final decision on what amp to get

I will be mostly jamming, playing small university pub shows and recording out of it, playing mostly types of music that have to be played with a lot of energy (mostly punk influenced stuff, faster and more intense indie music, modern rock and a small amount of metal)

I have found that the fender mustang iii seems to be a good fit for me, but i know almost nothing about guitar amps since I'm mainly a bassist.

That being said, do you guys know any other cheaper (preferably =< $500) 100W solid state amps out there that i should look at before i decide to get this one? I just want to test all of the basics to make sure i make the right desicion

Thanks for your help guys!
The Mustang III is good. Also look at the Peavey Vypyr 75 (their 100W is a 212 which is a pain in the ass IMO).

But why do you want solid state specifically?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
look for a used Line 6 Vetta 2x12 combo, they are really cheap used and are the best non-tube modeling amp. www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear there are a few for $399 with foot controller.

If you want a smaller combo, the Line 6 Flextone II/III are great and they also have several of these for <$300 with the foot controller
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Offworld92
The Mustang III is good. Also look at the Peavey Vypyr 75 (their 100W is a 212 which is a pain in the ass IMO).

But why do you want solid state specifically?

I want a solid state because I will do a TON of moving around with this amp. I want to have something that isn't that is really dependable without worrying about too much maintenance or how fragile it is.

Also, they are much cheaper than tubes, and I'm a university student so i dont have that much cash to spend. You can get much louder with a solid state with less money than with tubes.

and lastly, I want the modelling because once again, i wont have too much cash to spend on pedals as well. Just seems like a good balance to me.

And I've played through the vypyr 120 before, didn't click with me too much, but ill try it again with the guitar I'm getting now.
I would look at the Tube Vypyr 60. I got mine for $300. Tonally much better.

That said, the new Vypyr VIPs are designed for both guitar and bass and may also be worth looking at.

I hear Mustangs are better than Vypyrs for lower gain tones but not for punk, rock and metal. Never played one.

(as with any modeling amp - read the user manual at home before you even leave to go play, it will really help the learning curve)
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 31, 2013,
I'm again here with this recommendation, but... The IRT-Studio is really lightweight and it is 15 tube watts, which is really loud. It has everything for your recording needs apart from the software you want to use of course and it needs a cab too, but still, it's a good amp.
100w solid state amps aren't really "light"... At least not the one I've been lifting. And loud? Compared to 40W Marshall DSL401 Mustang III will sound like a mouse running away. If you're worrying about weight, I'd worry more about size which is the other important option in portability.

But if you're really set on getting a modelling amp, go for Vypyr Tube 60.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Robbgnarly
look for a used Line 6 Vetta 2x12 combo, they are really cheap used and are the best non-tube modeling amp. www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear there are a few for $399 with foot controller.

If you want a smaller combo, the Line 6 Flextone II/III are great and they also have several of these for <$300 with the foot controller

+311 - if you're willing to go used.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
What you need is a Vyper Tube. Solid state preamp, 6505 tube power amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
alright. I've never really looked into tube amps much (since i prefer solid state for bass anyway) and now im getting swayed by the vypyer tube models.

even though its off topic of the thread, if you guys would have $500 dollars to spend on one amp that would primarily be used for recording and jamming for faster, alternative rock/ punk based music (think artic monkeys, neutral milk hotel, bomb the music industry, a bit of the fratelies), what amps would you try out at your music store before choosing?
I don't know much about the bands you play so can you tell me how important cleans are to you?

Also, can you give a few of the URLs from the places you will be looking amps?

Barring that, I'm sure there is a Traynor that will work for you seeing as how you are in Canada.
Used Vox AC30
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Just to warn you if you haven't considered it, most ss's sound like muffled fart explosions when you crank them to gig volumes. Especially if you're using fx on a modeling amp.

Having said that, I've never played the vyper tube but I've seen a lotta love for it from some of the smarter guys on this site so it probably is the way you wanna go. Check out the Vox VT series too if you haven't already. I have a vt 30 and a vt 100 (Ive had several though, I can't resist 'em, they're so cheap!). It does mid-gain tones quite well so it'd probably work great for you.
To be honest, if all you're doing is jamming, small pub shows and recording, you don't need 100W lol
I think modelling amps sound best for quiet practice at home.

In my opinion, you need a little 1x12 tube combo amp.
In a tube amp, 30W+ is enough for what you are playing. An AC30 or a JTM45 would suit you perfectly I would say. That Classic 30 311 found would do the deed quite nicely too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I would look at the Tube Vypyr 60. I got mine for $300. Tonally much better.

That said, the new Vypyr VIPs are designed for both guitar and bass and may also be worth looking at.

I hear Mustangs are better than Vypyrs for lower gain tones but not for punk, rock and metal. Never played one.

(as with any modeling amp - read the user manual at home before you even leave to go play, it will really help the learning curve)

Tried it a few weeks ago. It sucked. Noisy as hell, even with Humbuckers. The original is better TBH.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Last edited by Maineguitarist at Jun 2, 2013,
Look into getting a used Peavey Classic 30, I think it would be perfect for you.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
hey guys, just finished doing a ton of more research

Long story short, I sure hope that genz benz amp is up for sale because it looks killer! I read reviews and watched demos on every amp you guys suggested (took a long time lol, but i appreciate all the help). I just love the clean tone on it, but damn that thing can pack a ton of gain and never sounds muddy

Thanks for making me look into better amps for the value. I wouldn't have if it wasn't for you guys!
Get a flextone 3 it sounds awesome. its on of a few modeling amps with an effects loop
Vox AC15.

The AC30 will absolutely kill you carrying it around, and for small pub gigs the volume will always be kept only at around a 9-11 o'clock.

The AC15 isn't too much different in terms of volume but it IS apparent.
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Last edited by Volcz at Jun 5, 2013,