Page 1 of 5
Hello, I want to discuss auto-tune with people. What are your thoughts on auto-tuning? Good, Bad, anything. I personally think that its killing the music industry, and its cheating. So let the discussion begin!
I honestly think you are one of the most stupid people I've ever seen who is still able to type coherently.
Quote by whywefight
I think it's an incredible tool that saves studio time and allows singers to keep takes that have great tone but a minor flaw

Yep.

Quote by ehbacon
Hello, I want to discuss auto-tune with people. What are your thoughts on auto-tuning? Good, Bad, anything. I personally think that its killing the music industry, and its cheating. So let the discussion begin!
What about layering tracks for a bigger sound? Or artificial reverb or delay? There are natural ways to get them. What about EQ'ing a track to make it sound better?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at May 31, 2013,
Auto tune is for people who can't sing.

It wasn't needed when musicians got by on their talent, now looks are more important so it allows all the latest pretty people to become clones of each other in the name of pop.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
It can help correct pitch in a subtle way, add major effects, and allow people who lack natural ability to get their ideas realized how they want. I think it's pretty great.
Quote by GaryBillington
Auto tune is for people who can't sing.

It wasn't needed when musicians got by on their talent, now looks are more important so it allows all the latest pretty people to become clones of each other in the name of pop.

Multi-tracking wasn't needed when musicians were good. The Beatles did shit on four tracks. How many do modern bands use? They clearly aren't talented because they have to add multiple copies of one track to make it sound good.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I don't really like when it sounds like the person is a robot but that's more how people use it and my personal preference than the application itself. Some of the effects can be cool and it no doubt helps speed things along. It's fine imo
Quote by ehbacon

I personally think you are being a terrible parrot, and have no coherent argument to support this statement, let alone the rest of your post.

I personally dislike the sound of pitch correction when it's been attempted to be covered up discreetly, but if it's used just as another effect on the track it can greatly enhance a melody
Quote by SkepsisMetal

I personally dislike the sound of pitch correction when it's been attempted to be covered up discreetly, but if it's used just as another effect on the track it can greatly enhance a melody

Do you dislike every popular production of the last 20 odd years?
I downloaded a demo, kinda fun to try. Expired long ago, no intention of trying again.
Quote by darkcheef
I thought people stopped bitching over autotune years ago

It comes in cycles it seems.

Anyways, as the smart people have already said, it is a tool to be used. If the finished product sounds good to at least one person, why should it matter how it was made?
What I mean is that anybody can sing when you fix it up by computer to make it sound perfect. Auto-tune is taking away fame from people who really deserve it. I don't mind when it is used to add effects, I mind when its used to make bad singing into great singing
Quote by ehbacon
What I mean is that anybody can sing when you fix it up by computer to make it sound perfect. Auto-tune is taking away fame from people who really deserve it. I don't mind when it is used to add effects, I mind when its used to make bad singing into great singing

If you have a really bad voice, auto-tune is gonna be useless to you. You all seem to think it'll make some girl honking out bum notes galore in to Mariah Carey.
in the night i hear em talk, the coldest story ever told
you're a stone fox
yeah and we should listen to all our music on vinyl cause that's the only true format
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by ehbacon

how old are you
you're a stone fox
Quote by willT08
Do you dislike every popular production of the last 20 odd years?

Has pitch correction really been used that long? I thought it started in the late 90's.
Quote by ehbacon

>implying the music isn't legitimate no matter how it's made
stop
Quote by ehbacon

Have you never heard auto-tuning? You can't be a terrible singer and have it sound ok by adding some effects. That's a myth. You have to be near the notes at least for auto-tune to not sound terrible. That's what it's used for, a good take that has rough spots. Instead of wasting time and money in the studio you can fix the rough spot and be done.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by whywefight
Has pitch correction really been used that long? I thought it started in the late 90's.

Nah you're right, I got a bit overzealous in making a point.
Quote by willT08
Nah you're right, I got a bit overzealous in making a point.

So did the Romans.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by ehbacon

Hint: Autotune can't make a bad singer into a great singer. It isn't taking fame away from anyone who 'deserves it.' People generally associate autotune with pop. Pop isn't known for it's classically trained vocalists, it's mainly known for it's quality of entertainers. Don't make the mistake in thinking the vast majority of successful pop artists are untalented, it's just that most of their talent is found in the performance rather than singing ability. But again, autotune will not polish a turd.

I don't blame you for thinking the way you do, a lot of guitarists etc have had the same sentiments out of jealousy that rock music isn't centre stage even though it should be because it's SO REAL.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at May 31, 2013,
Quote by Saint78
how old are you

"Hello, I'm Ethan and I'm 13 years old. I hate the fact that I'm only 13 because my generation is embarrassing to be apart of."

Muh generation

lol
Quote by ehbacon
"Music comes from the mind, not the computer"

All of my music comes from the computer, thank you very much.
Quote by ehbacon
"Music comes from the mind, not the computer"

Judging from your Green Day avatar and this thread, I'm assuming that you have very narrow music taste.
EDIT: Shit, he's younger than me. And apparently born in the wrong generation.
Quote by darkcheef
"Hello, I'm Ethan and I'm 13 years old. I hate the fact that I'm only 13 because my generation is embarrassing to be apart of."

Muh generation

lol

Yeah, it does suck when you're alienated from your own generation
Quote by WCPhils
omg he was born in 2000

those people aren't allowed to be teenagers yet! I won't allow it!
Quote by darkcheef

Muh generation

lol

looooooooooooool

hey kid drop the 'i hate my generation' shit and get some friends
you're a stone fox
Page 1 of 5