Hello,

I've been pretty bored with my current color of my guitar.
However I really hate the whole process of refinishing.

Could I just use something like Blaze blue Pasti Dip and coat my guitar>

I really don't see a downside to doing this as I can just rip the crap off if it looks like shit.

Anyone ever heard of someone doing this?

Would I be able to use it on the pickups themselves?
I am really aiming on making the guitar blue and the electronics white without buying new covers.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Last edited by Kyleisthename at May 31, 2013,
What if it sounds bad? Thicker coatings tend to dampen resonance and tone - at least on acoustic guitars. I'm sure it has an affect on electric guitars, too.
Quote by KG6_Steven
What if it sounds bad? Thicker coatings tend to dampen resonance and tone - at least on acoustic guitars. I'm sure it has an affect on electric guitars, too.

Finish effect on tone on an electric is like room temp effect on a computer, negligible at best.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
At some point is has to matter, right? Under normal circumstances I'd say sure, finish probably doesn't make enough difference to worry about. But that doesn't mean that that nothing will change if you keep piling on thicker and thicker coats of vibration dampening material.

So saying that finish doesn't effect tone isn't necessarily a good guide here.

Plasti dip is really thick stuff, not exactly within the range of traditional finishes. I wouldn't be surprised if it deadened it significantly. That's a lot of dampening material.

Anyway, it's an interesting idea but I can't see it going well, and the tonal change would be the least of those worries. Just dipping a guitar in that stuff would probably cause all sorts of problems with hardware mounting.
The stuff peels off and leaves no residue, so even if it affects tone it won't be permanent. Just remove all the hardware and the neck, and dip the guitar body in a vat of the stuff, just like a swirl paint job.

If you take the proper precautions (masking, plugging holes, etc) it should be no more complicated than any other form of refinish. Less, even. Just make sure that every place where hardware goes is properly protected.
Quote by Roc8995
At some point is has to matter, right? Under normal circumstances I'd say sure, finish probably doesn't make enough difference to worry about. But that doesn't mean that that nothing will change if you keep piling on thicker and thicker coats of vibration dampening material.

So saying that finish doesn't effect tone isn't necessarily a good guide here.

Plasti dip is really thick stuff, not exactly within the range of traditional finishes. I wouldn't be surprised if it deadened it significantly. That's a lot of dampening material.

Anyway, it's an interesting idea but I can't see it going well, and the tonal change would be the least of those worries. Just dipping a guitar in that stuff would probably cause all sorts of problems with hardware mounting.

Yeah, that was kind of my concern with Plasti-Dip. The stuff is quite thick and heavy. I know that electrics are less susceptible to the effects of finish thickness, but at some point, it's going to have an impact on the sustain and tone. Hardware mounting issues would be interesting, too.

Heck, give it a try. If you can peel it off and leave no lasting effects of it, then go for it. If it works, then it's an added bonus.
I'm not really worried about the tone getting dampened .

I'm using the spray can version, I forgot to specify that at the beginning.

As far as mounting hardware goes, I could just cut and rip the stuff off where the bridge and pickguard mount.

I am going to stick tooth picks in the screw holes also.

after some tests on a junk pickup I guess I'm going to try and dip them in order to get someone that doesn't look like garbage.

Would this be detrimental to the pickup at all?

I imagine it'd be similar to how pickups are potted.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Last edited by Kyleisthename at Jun 2, 2013,
You should probably avoid dipping anything electronic in liquid of any kind.
Quote by J_W
You should probably avoid dipping anything electronic in liquid of any kind.
Which is an interesting thought because when you "pot" pickups you dip them in liquid wax. Then again, are pickups electronic or just electric?
Yeah, just because water/soda/beer/motor oil are bad for electronics doesn't mean that any liquid is bad for any electrical components. If anything I would think that plasti dip would be pretty good at protecting and insulating components. It's basically really thick liquid electrical tape, which is perfectly good for guitar electronics.
Quote by Roc8995
Yeah, just because water/soda/beer/motor oil are bad for electronics doesn't mean that any liquid is bad for any electrical components. If anything I would think that plasti dip would be pretty good at protecting and insulating components. It's basically really thick liquid electrical tape, which is perfectly good for guitar electronics.

I agree, and also TS, have you thought of using Rhino Liner?

I think this is a wonderful finish and if done right, you could do a few different colors with it too.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds