No matter what brand of strings I use, the G string always sounds wrong. It's too loud, and sounds thinner and brassier than the other strings.

I tried playiing parts of songs on the D string instead of the G, and it sounded richer, and more like the other strings.

Is there any reason I shouldn't just put another .028" D string in place of the current .017" G string? I'm playing with heavy strings already, so it's not like that would be a problem.

I've only been playing a year, so there may well be something I'm not taking into account.

Thanks for any replies.
You can get packs of guitar strings with a wound G. Should get you the results you are looking for.

I personally don't see a problem with what you did. If you can handle it and it hasn't effected the playability in a negative way, more power to you.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
^this is what you should do. you don't want your g string to break so a wound would be stronger too.
Wound G strings are great. The unwound strings became the standard because 50s blues players did a lot of full-step bends up near the nut. If you’re not playing like that, you’ll benefit from a wound G.
Quote by Monkeyleg
No matter what brand of strings I use, the G string always sounds wrong. It's too loud, and sounds thinner and brassier than the other strings.

I tried playiing parts of songs on the D string instead of the G, and it sounded richer, and more like the other strings.

Is there any reason I shouldn't just put another .028" D string in place of the current .017" G string? I'm playing with heavy strings already, so it's not like that would be a problem.

I've only been playing a year, so there may well be something I'm not taking into account.

Thanks for any replies.

Your nut slot will not fit it and you'll have problems with that. As someone stated, get a proper wound G. You'll still have to get the nut reslotted, though. I cracked a cheap nut messing around like that.
I got a wound .022 string for the G. I'm glad I didn't go to .028. It sounds much more full, doesn't ring out when I don't want it to, and gives a mellower sound.

It's going to take time to be able to do a full note bend comfortably, though.