I think this is the right place to post this, forgive me if it's not.

I'm talking about the minor pentatonic that starts on the 5th fret of the E string. (Low E. Thick E.)

I've never been much of a lead guy but I figure I'd give it a shot for song writing purposes.

This might be a basic question but if ya'll know any cool progressions I'd appreciate some recommendations.
Quote by RoosterSmith
I think this is the right place to post this, forgive me if it's not.

I'm talking about the minor pentatonic that starts on the 5th fret of the E string. (Low E. Thick E.)

I've never been much of a lead guy but I figure I'd give it a shot for song writing purposes.

This might be a basic question but if ya'll know any cool progressions I'd appreciate some recommendations.

it should actually be the other way around, e.g. you have a progression first and then you figure out what scales can go with it.

The minor pentatonic will fit in a lot of progressions if the key is minor, in some cases even if the key is major, as it happens in blues.
Pretty much any progression that resolves to Am or A major is fair game as far as using the minor pentatonic scale goes, but as others have said you're kind of approaching it topsy-turvy - generally you look for a scale that works with the chords you're using.

Moved to MT
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
A minor pentatonic will work in the keys of A major or A minor.

If anyone says the key of C major here I cannot guarantee your safety.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
A minor pentatonic will work in the keys of A major or A minor.

If anyone says the key of C major here I cannot guarantee your safety.

minor pent will work over a Major chord, but not necessarily over a Major chord progression. I suppose it depends on your opinion of what works or not, but I don't think you'll find too many examples of musicians playing minor pentatonic over a iii vi ii V progression.
^^^ It may not be appropriate for all occassions, but the minor pent in a major key is the sound of blues/rock.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
^^^ It may not be appropriate for all occassions, but the minor pent in a major key is the sound of blues/rock.

What im getting at is that I think you're advice is too vague. Simply stating that minor pentatonic works in Major and minor keys leaves out alot of really important details. Details that couldn't possibly be understood by the person who asked the question in the 1st place.

When a minor pentonic "works" in a Major key (as evidenced by common use), is specific and quite limited.
Am - G - F - Em - D - Am - G

this is the chord progression for Stevie Wonder's song Master Blaster (different key however).
Last edited by johnyere at Jun 1, 2013,
Hey thanks guys.

Interesting to learn about doing it the other way around. I'm new at this so I don't know what the hell. But I'll look into it.

I'm gonna jam out a little bit and then google what an A Minor key is. A Minor progressions. Thanks Alan, Munky. Also, John and Tapooh for the progressions.

I never figured out what the rules are for keys and scales. I don't even know what a key is really. But hopefully I'll figure it out.
Quote by GuitarMunky
What im getting at is that I think you're advice is too vague. Simply stating that minor pentatonic works in Major and minor keys leaves out alot of really important details. Details that couldn't possibly be understood by the person who asked the question in the 1st place.

When a minor pentonic "works" in a Major key (as evidenced by common use), is specific and quite limited.

Well using the minor pentatonic in a major key is simply using b3 and b7 accidentals. It may not be the sound that you specifically are going for, but that's not to say it can't work.

Of course you could shoot me down and go "well on that logic every note works so we should ignore all scales/resolution etc", but the question was what progressions the A minor pentatonic can work over. In a minor key it's just the minor scale, over a major key there's b3 and b7 accidentals. However you could argue that this answer is a bit of a cop-out as this practically addresses every song ever written, that the answer is effectively "you can use the minor pentatonic all the time in everything".

I think you can, but it's not necessarily helpful to a beginner who wants to learn the "safe" notes over progressions.

I noted above TS that you do not know what a key is. This would be a good place to start. Major and minor scales, harmonisation and keys. These elements are common to all music of all genres.
Soundcloud
Quote by RoosterSmith
But I'll look into it.

Really? Is is that important to you?
Quote by AlanHB
but the question was what progressions the A minor pentatonic can work over.

thats right. Do you have any specific ones? how about a diatonic Major progression with no altered chords?

and to answer the OP..

minor progressions, minor chord vamps, dominant 7th chord vamps, 12 bar blues progression. If you don't know what those are, do a bit of studying, and start using your ears. Id also highly recommend learning some solos that use the minor pentatonic scale. You need to spend quality time dealing with the scale in the proper context.
Quote by GuitarMunky
thats right. Do you have any specific ones? how about a diatonic Major progression with no altered chords?.

I'd say it can work over all of them. It is not a sound that you personally like. That's fine.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I'd say it can work over all of them. It is not a sound that you personally like. That's fine.

I would say that's incorrect, based not on my personal tastes, but rather on common practice.

I mean based on taste a person can do whatever they want, but as advice regarding what to play over what....that's not much help
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 1, 2013,
Quote by RoosterSmith
Hey thanks guys.

Interesting to learn about doing it the other way around. I'm new at this so I don't know what the hell. But I'll look into it.

I'm gonna jam out a little bit and then google what an A Minor key is. A Minor progressions. Thanks Alan, Munky. Also, John and Tapooh for the progressions.

I never figured out what the rules are for keys and scales. I don't even know what a key is really. But hopefully I'll figure it out.

How about you learn what the intervals for a major key and for a minor key are before you decide to just look up stuff for Aminor specifically?

Quote by GuitarMunky
I would say that's incorrect, based not on my personal tastes, but rather on common practice.

I mean based on taste a person can do whatever they want, but as advice regarding what to play over what....that's not much help

Common practice is a meaningless phrase when it comes to music. If musicians only ever adhered to "common practice", then some of the better composed songs of the last 500 years wouldn't have come into being.
Quote by GuitarMunky

If you want to play strictly diatonically, which may be the best approach for a beginner like TS, the minor pentatonic would not be the best option over a major progression.

Can you be satisfied that we're both correct? Our approaches can co-exist peacefully.
Soundcloud
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
How about you learn what the intervals for a major key and for a minor key are before you decide to just look up stuff for Aminor specifically?

How about I learn what intervals are before I just look up stuff for A minor specifically?

Gee, I don't know man, I appreciate you asking me but I'm probably not the most qualified guy to answer that question. Sorry.

Can't hurt to try though.

I was checking this out last night, I googled the Key of A Minor and it came up with these progressions.

i - VI - VIII Am , F , G

i - iV - VII Am, Dm, G

i- iV - V Am , Dm, Em

i - VI - III - VI Am, F, C, G

ii - V - i Bm7b5 , Em, Am

Again, if this is a basic question, I apologize. I am a rank amateur when it comes to this stuff but can anyone tell me the significance of the Roman Numerals?

had some fun playing the chords last night they seem to go well together.
Am - F - C - G is a good one
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke
I would recommend going to the Music Theory FAQ Thread in the Musician Talk section, or Googling to start learning some basic theory first. Right now you're trying to jump into the pool from the 6 ft mark- not quite the deep end but deep enough that it makes sense to learn how to swim first, or in plain English (And not one of my crap analogies), if you learn some theory, starting at the the ground level, you will eventually get to explanations of the questions you're asking and you'll have the foundation on which to apply them to your music in general, rather then just having us list chord progressions in one key.
Turn on the radio and there are probably like 7 different songs with Am pentatonic on at any moment.