So, I'm looking for a good distortion pedal, not something extremely pricey. I don't want something vintage sounding, more like some hard rock type distortion..any suggestions?
It seemed the world was divided into good and bad people. The good ones slept better... while the bad ones seemed to enjoy the waking hours much more.
Budget? Any examples of sounds you want to achieve?

It would also help if you told us what amp you are using.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Let's say nothing over 200 bucks, on the sound examples..I'm not sure as what to say, I want something with high gain that can give big riffs, I'm not really trying to emulate a sound from a band I like. The amp I have now is a 30 watt Marshall, I'm saving up for something better, probably a JCM or a Peavy 5150.
It seemed the world was divided into good and bad people. The good ones slept better... while the bad ones seemed to enjoy the waking hours much more.
If you mean the MG30, then don't waste your money on a pedal. Put that $200 towards an amp that will give you the distortion sound you want straight out of the amp. Putting a pedal in front of it won't give you very nice results.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Yeah, that's the one. There's no saving it huh? Any lower budget amps that can be worked with a pedal, if you happen to know any? I was planning to buy amps later on but I have some gigs to do during the summer and I want to get a decent sound with what I got, you know what I mean?
Personally, I would suggest an overdrive pedal, through the amps gain channel, if you're after a hard rock kinda sound.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
Not really, no. You're probably best off utilizing the sounds of the amp rather than throwing money at it trying to make it sound better.

You might just have to put up with it for the time being. Luckily the audience won't really be able to tell the difference so don't feel conscious about it. I gigged with an MG50 and a Vox AD50 for a few years and it was fine.

Quote by Mind_Reader7
Personally, I would suggest an overdrive pedal, through the amps gain channel, if you're after a hard rock kinda sound.

I wouldn't recommend this. The MG30 has enough gain in it already. Adding more gain to it will just muddy it up and make the sound less clarified.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Last edited by Eppicurt at Jun 1, 2013,
Alright, well I got the MG30, I could however buy an amp in the 200-300 range if there are any good suggestions. As for the overdrive pedals, I've seen a few reviews and they don't seem to crank it up enough. Some friends suggested digital multi-pedals but I'm not really partial to that.
Quote by DickHardwood
Alright, well I got the MG30, I could however buy an amp in the 200-300 range if there are any good suggestions. As for the overdrive pedals, I've seen a few reviews and they don't seem to crank it up enough. Some friends suggested digital multi-pedals but I'm not really partial to that.

No, just save your money until you can buy something you really want.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Well, the MG30 distortion sounds like dogshit, and I want to get things running pretty fast, unfortunately. Would a multi-pedal give me a good result for now so I can save up for a few months while I can gig without a problem? Saving up won't be a problem, I can gather a good sum within a few months but I have to start gigging by the end of the month so you understand how it is.
Obligitory peavey classic 30 or a valveking they go from 2-300 used and when you get the money for your jcm or 6505 they are an easy sell.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
No.

Please, just listen to what I'm saying. Throwing money at the MG30 isn't going to make it sound better. It sounds bad because it is bad and running external distortion or multi-effects isn't going to save it.

Just save for now.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
No.

Please, just listen to what I'm saying. Throwing money at the MG30 isn't going to make it sound better. It sounds bad because it is bad and running external distortion or multi-effects isn't going to save it.

Just save for now.

And there are no good amps in the budget I got now?
Quote by Eppicurt
No.

Just save for now.

This.

Do Not Gig. With that MG.

Please don't do it. Running a good pedal into a bad amp won't turn it into a good amp.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by DickHardwood
And there are no good amps in the budget I got now?

For $200? Not really. Not for the types of sound you want.

You can look around for a used JCM2000 DSL or a Valveking. But it depends on your location as to whether or not you'll find one.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
For $200? Not really. Not for the types of sound you want.

You can look around for a used JCM2000 DSL or a Valveking. But it depends on your location as to whether or not you'll find one.

For an amp I'll go for 300-400, that's the most I can do for now, at least.
Quote by DickHardwood
For an amp I'll go for 300-400, that's the most I can do for now, at least.

What's your location? You might be able to raise the budget if you sell the MG30.

What you can find depends on your location.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
What's your location? You might be able to raise the budget if you sell the MG30.

What you can find depends on your location.

Well, that's shit because I live in Greece. There are lots of used sites and I live in the capital, but I'm pretty sure I can't find EVERYTHING used here. Is there anything in this range I can get straight from a store and sound good, something I can resell again when I upgrade my rig.
Last edited by DickHardwood at Jun 1, 2013,
How much to the jet city amps go for in Greece?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle

The prices are the same everywhere, the only difference is the dollar/euro kind of thing. There's not much deviation from US prices.
Guys, how about the Vox AD30VT?
It would be better then the mg, but the newer by series amps tend to still suck.
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
hmmmmmmm what about a peavey valve king small combo or peavey vypyr?
or maybe crate flexwave. there's a plenty of non-tube amps in this price that will help you through your gig
Quote by losing battle
It would be better then the mg, but the newer by series amps tend to still suck.

Well, everyone said some pretty neat things about it. Besides, I don't necessarily need an amp to stand on it's own right now, something good enough to be boosted by a pedal would work in a pinch for me.
I found a used Vox VT30 for 150..is that good?
Quote by losing battle

if you're willing to buy from thomann, pretty darn cheap. they wouldn't be that far above his budget, really. +1 on that idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
if you're willing to buy from thomann, pretty darn cheap. they wouldn't be that far above his budget, really. +1 on that idea.

JCA22H, 245 euros..round it out to 300smth with transport costs maybe. I need to get a cab too but I saw a demo review on youtube and this thing's killer.
Something about your username... It's got quite a ring to it.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

^^ is transport not free to greece? I know it is to some other EU countries (like the UK).

^ lol, yeah, keepin' it classy
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?