I plan on getting a new guitar in a couple of months, I have turned the corner from high-low end guitars and am looking for a more substantial American or Japanese made guitar in the £1K-£2K price range.

I have a Japanese made Jackson DKMGT, and I LOVE IT! The neck is beautiful, the fretboard radius is lovely and flat, it just feels perfect for me so I'd be looking at a guitar that couldn't re-incarnate the features of this guitar in a more lustrous and substantial guitar.

The question is, do I:

A) Shop around for a guitar that comes as close as possible and cost around £2,000

or

B) Order a custom build from Warmoth where I can have exactly the spec of the guitar I want with whatever finish and hardware I desire??

The two things that scare me off about the Warmoth are: I don't know how good the necks are; after spending that much money on a guitar I can't play before receiving it if i don't like it I am stuck with it....

I am a bit stuck here, I will certainly come to a decision, but thought I'd see what some other peoples opinions were first.

Thanks in advance, M.
Quote by 001 Metalic Demon
it looks like a les paul to me

Quote by dr_92
you look like a les paul to me
Also, the Warmoth custom I had in mind would cost around £1,200, and is almost identical spec to some SL2's I have seen at more than double the price.....

Quote by dr_92
SL2's are very pricey these days - has put me off getting one.
The horizons are good, but seem less 'special' to me for some reason.
Never been fortunate enough to play a caparison so cant help you there.

The quality of Warmoth stuff is very good and would be special to you, so it really depends. It is likely that this option will take alot longer.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
The Warmoth will only be as good as you are at building guitars.

They don't sell anything other than bits.

If I were you I would grab a Pro Series Suhr Modern... But I'm biased.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
As an owner of an Horizon FRII I can tell you that they're amazing guitars, everything about them is perfect!
USA select Jacksons are very expensive but they're godly.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Tom1.0, I was going to pay the extra 30-40$ to hae them install the string ferrules and bridge posts, so the most work I'm going to have to do is attach the tuners and bolt on the neck, neither of which are daunting tasks....

Quote by dr_92
No knock on Warmoth, but in that price range, you may be able to get what you want without building anything.

I know Carvins are more expensive overseas compared to here, but I can't say by how much. US Masters has a similar business model and high-quality- might be worth a look.

I also know that some luthiers do custom/customizable work starting around $2000 in the US, and even as low as £1000 in the UK.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
if what you want is available off-the-shelf, at the quality level you want and at a price you're willing to pay, i'd probably just go off-the-shelf. You'll have it now, you'll know exactly what it's going to be like (if you can try it first, and if you can't you'll be covered by distance-selling regulations so you can send it back if you don't like it), you'll have more recourse if something goes wrong and resale will be much better if you ever have to sell it.

if what you want isn't available off-the-shelf, or is only available at a massive price, then it might be worth considering going custom.

it's your money and your call, really.

EDIT: ^ and yeah, £1200 and bolt-on standard superstrat might be doable for £1200. Would be worth looking into, anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you are interested in having custom guitar made for you, and if you play metal, you could check out Ran guitars. They can build you anything you want. Check out their website.
On the custom front, I'll throw out my buddy, Chicago area luthier Jon Kammerer. I met him at the Dallas Guitar show maybe...8-10 years ago? Over that time, I've bought 5 of his guitars. (Stock only, so far, no customs.)

His stock guitars currently start at $1500. For that, you get a choice of:

Satin or Gloss finish (he may or may not still do some of his special finishes at this price)
24 fret fret board (as I recall, 25.5" scale)
Blind Fret Slots
Multiple pickup configurations with single coils, HBs, or P-90's (he typically uses SDs, Golden Age and DiMarzios.)
Case included (usually Gators)
Body woods like Hard Maple, Soft Flame maple, Walnut, or Cherry
Gold, Chrome, or Black Hardware
Limited lifetime warranty
Hardtails or tremolo

His full custom guitars start at $2000. He does do work for international customers.

My guess is you'd like his Scorpius, a nice, ergonomic doublecut usually configured with a pair of HBs or as a Superstrat.

http://jonkammerercustoms.com/newsite1_012.htm

But he's not the only guy out there doing great work in your price range. You should be pretty spoiled for options.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 1, 2013,
^ they look nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I essentially stumbled on him- his was almost the last booth at the guitar show, and I was disillusioned with all the stuff I had been looking at up to that point. I didn't want something used, the brands I was looking at at the time re not there, and I didn't have $25k to spend on a nice vintage.

His booth, then, was like a tiny oasis. Different aesthetics, nice feel nice sound...and the prices were reasonable.

Like I said, I only have stock models so far, but I'm planning on some special ones down the road. Probably a headless acoustic baritone.* Maybe a fretless electric.

I've been talking to him for a while about making an ultralight version of the Chameleon, using Lace Alumitones (maybe even Deathbuckers) to make an "ultimate" full-scale travel electric.

* it would be based on his headless acoustic bass design, which fits in a standard sized case.

yeah, i mean any custom made by a good luthier is gonna be a pretty awesome guitar (if you like it, lol), but sometimes the designs can be iffy (to be fair, it's pretty hard to come up with something which is neither derivative nor horrible-looking ), but those both look original but nice.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Did you see his full customs?

http://jonkammerercustoms.com/newsite1_013.htm

A few years ago, I bought one of his cored Scorpius models done in walnut for a church auction. Since then, I've been thinking about repeating that with an actual custom with "Holy Ghost" inlay and/or woodwork.

nah i just looked at the stock models

those customs with the multiple wood things are amazing
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Canadian flag one I saw was incredible...but I'm a New Orleanean living in Texas...

And the USA ones...well...playing Old Glory would simply rock.

I have a Horizon NT-II and I love it.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Jeff Loomis 7 string
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Yamaha YDP161 Arius Digital Piano
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The Canadian flag one I saw was incredible...but I'm a New Orleanean living in Texas...

And the USA ones...well...playing Old Glory would simply rock.

yeah. getting something with a flag on it in this part of the world (northern ireland) is a bad idea, though.

heck my new amp came the other day and it had a teeny label on it with a union jack on it and my dad told me i should probably turn it over (as you can kinda see it through our window).

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah. getting something with a flag on it in this part of the world (northern ireland) is a bad idea, though.

Soooo...you're saying the camo guitars would be better?

*ducks*

As for the label, some electrical tape or some such would probably do the trick.

Quote by Shredx
SL2's are very pricey these days - has put me off getting one.
The horizons are good, but seem less 'special' to me for some reason.
Never been fortunate enough to play a caparison so cant help you there.

The quality of Warmoth stuff is very good and would be special to you, so it really depends. It is likely that this option will take alot longer.

Yeah the horizons are nice but like you say they lack that luster that I am looking for!

Quote by dr_92
Quote by dannyalcatraz
No knock on Warmoth, but in that price range, you may be able to get what you want without building anything.

I know Carvins are more expensive overseas compared to here, but I can't say by how much. US Masters has a similar business model and high-quality- might be worth a look.

I also know that some luthiers do custom/customizable work starting around $2000 in the US, and even as low as £1000 in the UK.

Wow, I just found this Carvin: http://www.soundunlimited.co.uk/products/carvin_jb200c_serial113570?gclid=CMT1tLeoxbcCFRDItAodSk8AEQ

So nice! I have never actually taken the time to look at Carvins before but that is a lovely guitar! Similar price range too....

Those US masters look really good too, especially the "Sporster" Wolfgang copies! OOph!

Was actually considering getting an EVH Special Stealth HT, maybe I can have these guys frankenstein me a custom version.....

Quote by dr_92
Quote by JackovSlayer
If you are interested in having custom guitar made for you, and if you play metal, you could check out Ran guitars. They can build you anything you want. Check out their website.

WOW! The Crusher 6 string model is sweet as tits!!!!

Quote by dr_92
Quote by dannyalcatraz
On the custom front, I'll throw out my buddy, Chicago area luthier Jon Kammerer.

Not a fan I am afraid....

Quote by dr_92
I'll add Suhrs into one of your choices aswell, Im still debating whether to get a SL2HT in Natural or a Suhr Modern
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
FMW, Ran Guitars are the ****ing bizniz! I love the Crusher, I am going to order one as soon as I get the funds together for sure, that thing is so sick! Unfortunately they take up to 8 months to complete but if that means I get a beautiful guitar in return, that is no problem!

Quote by dr_92
Quote by Martallika666
FMW, Ran Guitars are the ****ing bizniz! I love the Crusher, I am going to order one as soon as I get the funds together for sure, that thing is so sick! Unfortunately they take up to 8 months to complete but if that means I get a beautiful guitar in return, that is no problem!

I can totally understand you, I would like to order one myself if I had the money.

Don't forget, they can build you any guitar shape you want.
Last edited by JackovSlayer at Jun 2, 2013,
The Chrushers look fantastic.

Ran seem to hav really turned themselves around.

Send him an email and get some quotes.

IIRC they work on a deposit and then final payment on competition so you could order it sooner than you think.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Soooo...you're saying the camo guitars would be better?

*ducks*

As for the label, some electrical tape or some such would probably do the trick.

hahaha yeah that's a good point, camo might not the best choice in this part of the world either
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if you're going with Warmoth take in to account you might get import taxed i did and let me tell you it sucks added nearly £100 on to a body i bought.
^ yeah you pretty much have to assume vat and customs (which are also charged on the postage costs, far as i'm aware) will add 25-30% to your total.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Martallika666
Not a fan I am afraid....

That's why there's more than one GTR maker in the world- tastes differ! I threw him out there 'cause I know his stuff well.

Thing is, there are all kinds of luthiers all over the USA making really good guitars at really good prices. I've even found a few where I live...one just minutes from my home. Looking around where you live might reward you with a similar discovery, and there's nothing like the feeling of getting what you want while helping the local economy. (No knock on luthiers everywhere else.)

Quote by Tom 1.0
The Chrushers look fantastic.

Ran seem to hav really turned themselves around.

Send him an email and get some quotes.

IIRC they work on a deposit and then final payment on competition so you could order it sooner than you think.

Sent them a quote form, I'll let you know what price they send me!

Quote by dr_92