It's a metalrod to adjust the neck relief..

Anyway my question is this. My action has become slightly too high on one of my guitars. (Changed from 010 to 012).

So I want to adjust my truss rod, since everything else hasnt changed ( bridge height etc.).

I need to bring the neck back more (directionally away from the strings). The truss rod is adjusted from the head, so when looking from above, which way do I turn?

Thanks in advance

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Given your string change, I think you are on the right track, but I think you mean "relief".

Check it first by fretting first and last frets on a string (I usually use the G string). You should have no more than .01 distance between the top of the fret and the string in the middle of that span. (You can use feeler gauges or a loop of your old treble E string to check.)

To decrease the relief is to make the fretboard flatter. To do this you tighten the truss rod. Looking down, turn it clockwise. I'd recommend going a quarter turn, and let it settle for a bit. If you need more, repeat the process a few times.

It is safer to slacken the strings a bit when making this adjustment to make the truss rod easier to turn. If you break it, you are in trouble. Once you are all set up, you can get away with minor adjustments without doing that.
Quote by Razbo
Given your string change, I think you are on the right track, but I think you mean "relief".

Check it first by fretting first and last frets on a string (I usually use the G string). You should have no more than .01 distance between the top of the fret and the string in the middle of that span. (You can use feeler gauges or a loop of your old treble E string to check.)

To decrease the relief is to make the fretboard flatter. To do this you tighten the truss rod. Looking down, turn it clockwise. I'd recommend going a quarter turn, and let it settle for a bit. If you need more, repeat the process a few times.

It is safer to slacken the strings a bit when making this adjustment to make the truss rod easier to turn. If you break it, you are in trouble. Once you are all set up, you can get away with minor adjustments without doing that.

Ty very much. And yes the neck is bowed as it's supposed to be, but the arc seems too incline a bit too much (looks too "angular").

Also settle in is how long? An hour? A day?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??