Hi,

How do I practice legato, when I try on three strings (G,B,E) doing ascending and descending it sounds really faint in the second or third note when descending.

I heard that its all hammer-on's and no pull off's, I'm pulling off when descending as I have no idea how to do that with hammer on's, it feels impossible.

Do I need a guitar with lower action , non jumbo frets and a flatter neck and maybe smaller scale neck. I have found a 24 fret guitar easier to play too but this did had a flatter neck.

I'm also trying to overlap the last note with the first note on the next string slightly but my finger just stops the sting on the fretting hand from resonating, so I'm not sure how that would be done,
And if they didn't overlap it would still be staccato/regular.
Legato just means to play smoothly. As long as it's smooth, it doesn't matter what techniques you use.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
What sort of setup do i need on the guitar (action, fretboard radius,scaling, etc)
As long as your action isn't ridiculously high it won't really matter. What it sounds like to me is that your pulloffs are weak. Remember, you don't just "lift" your finger, you have to slightly pluck it to keep the string ringing.

I'm also trying to overlap the last note with the first note on the next string slightly but my finger just stops the sting on the fretting hand from resonating, so I'm not sure how that would be done,
And if they didn't overlap it would still be staccato/regular.

Don't do this with any distortion, it sounds horrible. Even on classical guitar they don't necessarily play their scales THAT legato.