Hey everyone! i am starting to play guitar, never played it before and i am very excited!!!

So im going to get straight to the point: I bought a Schecter Omen 6 (ordered it, not arrived yet) and im a big metal fan (pantera, slayer, children of bodom, lamb of god, etc., basically, anything metal).

I am now looking for an amplifier.

Here are my choices:

-Line 6 Spider IV, 75 watts
-Peavey Valveking 112, 50 watts

So basically, to play metal the best, which amp should i get and why?

Thanks to all responses, very appreciated!!!
Is that the only amps you can choose from?
Can you get a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60?

But the VK50 out of those 2
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Is that the only amps you can choose from?
Can you get a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60?

But the VK50 out of those 2

well they are my main 2 choices... but it just seems like the spider has so much more effects, amp models, etc..?

like why would the peavey be better?
Quote by JackovSlayer
Yeah, Valveking is a lot better than Spider.

really why is it so much better?
cause my friend told me the opposite lol
The peavey sounds better than the spider.

Yes the spider has some cool features, but I have owned an original spider and a Spider Valve HD100 and at first they seem really cool and good, but after a while you'll find that they are very bland tones. And you really need the FVB short board to get the most out of them and that is another $200

The clean ch on the VK is very nice, the gain ch can be very nice.

There are some very good easy mods to the VK that you can do and make it a really nice amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Fill this out.

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Quote by TremontiAddict
Fill this out.

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

Bugdet - $400 dollars maximum

Genres - never played before but i love metal, heavy metal, heavy rock, 80's and 90's rock, etc. I'd say some bands i listen to are: Miss May I, Bleed From Within, Suicide Silence, Pantera, Slayer, All That Remains, stuff like that basically.

New or used - most likely new, but it doesn't really matter

Home or Gig - Mostly home, as i never played before and i want to get a strong base/foundation, so no gigging for a couple of years most probably

Closest city - Montreal (Canada), but i can order online for most of the stuff

Current Gear - I just bought a Schecter Omen 6, but i currently don't have an amp.

Thanks in advance for your response!!
Last edited by Mawnsterr at Jun 1, 2013,
If you don't really care too much about good cleans, look into a used Peavey 6505+ combo. Not sure about Guitar Centers shipping to Canada, or if they have a store near Montreal, but they have used ones around $400 all the time.

Strictly new, the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 is $450. The Blackstar ID30 seems like a decent modeler, $400 new, although it wouldn't be my main suggestion.

The 6505+ seems like your best bet imo.
Get a Vypyr.

done.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Emily The Strange
Peavey Vypyr 75 with modded bat wing
Peavey Sanpera I
Ibanez AF-AF55
Quote by TremontiAddict
If you don't really care too much about good cleans, look into a used Peavey 6505+ combo. Not sure about Guitar Centers shipping to Canada, or if they have a store near Montreal, but they have used ones around $400 all the time.

Strictly new, the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 is $450. The Blackstar ID30 seems like a decent modeler, $400 new, although it wouldn't be my main suggestion.

The 6505+ seems like your best bet imo.

Okay thanks dude, ill check out these options for sure!
Quote by ExDementia
Bam. Vypyr tube 60 and call it a day.

I swear, one of these days Peavey is going to start having to pay us for how much we recommend their stuff

lol, u guys are sponsored by them or something? lol, every answer i got back between these two choices, everyone seems to say to get the peavey, so i guess i cant go wrong with it :P
Quote by Mawnsterr
lol, u guys are sponsored by them or something? lol, every answer i got back between these two choices, everyone seems to say to get the peavey, so i guess i cant go wrong with it :P

Peavey is just an established brand name in gear. Line 6 is newer; their products tend to be more lower-end and Line-6's main shctick is its ability to recreate classic tones—but the tone is that most of the time: not the real thing.

Peavey amps, especially the tube amps (like the Vyper and 6505) are going to have a much more authentic and realistic tone. You'll learn how to play on an amp that *is the real thing* as opposed to something pretending to be real thing.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7

Peavey amps, especially the tube amps (like the Vyper and 6505) are going to have a much more authentic and realistic tone. You'll learn how to play on an amp that *is the real thing* as opposed to something pretending to be real thing.

How the hell is a peavey vypyr the real thing? it is a modeling amp just like the spider only it has a tube power section. Yes they do sound good for the price, but deff not the real thing.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Mawnsterr
well they are my main 2 choices... but it just seems like the spider has so much more effects, amp models, etc..?

like why would the peavey be better?

The Spider is shit. It may have a lot of options but those options are crap. Get a Vyper Tube 60. It will give you more than enough options as a beginner and do 100x better job of it.

To recap, Spiders are shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly
How the hell is a peavey vypyr the real thing? it is a modeling amp just like the spider only it has a tube power section. Yes they do sound good for the price, but deff not the real thing.

Okay fine. Excuse me. You're right—over generalization.

Power tube amps make quite a difference though.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Okay fine. Excuse me. You're right—over generalization.

Power tube amps make quite a difference though.

Yes I agree. I had a Spider Valve HD100 and I quite liked it. I like it better than the Vypyr tube 120 my friend had.

The tubes make a huge improvement on the tone
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yes I agree. I had a Spider Valve HD100 and I quite liked it. I like it better than the Vypyr tube 120 my friend had.

The tubes make a huge improvement on the tone

And how many months did it take to dial in something acceptable? The TS is a beginner, no way he's gonna make a Spider Valve sound like you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
And how many months did it take to dial in something acceptable? The TS is a beginner, no way he's gonna make a Spider Valve sound like you.

I know it took over a yr to dial in 4 patches on that amp.

I was not suggesting the SV though, I actually suggested the Vypyr tube 60. I figured the SV was going to be out of TS price range any ways. I was just giving my experience.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah, I know. I just wanted to make it clear that the Peavey is more suitable. Any idiot can make a Vyper Tube sound ok.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah, I know. I just wanted to make it clear that the Peavey is more suitable. Any idiot can make a Vyper Tube sound ok.

I will agree with that
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Peavey is just an established brand name in gear. Line 6 is newer; their products tend to be more lower-end and Line-6's main shctick is its ability to recreate classic tones—but the tone is that most of the time: not the real thing.

Line 6 is a great brand.
Their spiders are their vypyrs.
The lowest end product.
The Vetta and Flextones sound great.
Don't judge the brand on one shit product
Quote by Daveyy666
Get a Vypyr. done.

Totally agree. Just sold my 30w Vypyr amp head.
But, reading up on the Vypyr, Peavey has had
upgrade software mods that are better than
the earlier updates. Make sure to get a Vypyr
that was built in 2012 or 2013.