So... A while a go I plugged a 12v adapter into my 9v Boss DS-1

No loud pops or bangs, it just stopped working (No red light or noise). I unplugged it and found a blown capacitor, so naturally I replaced the capacitor. After replacing it the LED lights up again but when depressed I get a whistle and no guitar sound.

Any help on how to fix this? I miss my DS-1 real bad
You lost more than the capacitor. Not sure which IC is in there, but it may've been smoked, too. Same for any transistors. Let me see if I can locate a schematic.

Edit: Specifically which capacitor blew?

Edit 2: Here's the schematic for this pedal.

http://cdn.tonegeek.com/wp-content/uploads/Boss-DS-1-schematic.png

Not sure how old yours is, but Boss went with a different op-amp in 2006. The one shown in this schematic is from Mitsubishi. The design incorporates several MOSFETs and transistors. Any of these could have been damaged by the 12vdc.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jun 1, 2013,
Quote by KG6_Steven
You lost more than the capacitor. Not sure which IC is in there, but it may've been smoked, too. Same for any transistors. Let me see if I can locate a schematic.

Edit: Specifically which capacitor blew?

from memory... C23
C23 is a 100uF capacitor, whose function is nothing more than to filter the incoming power. It will essentially reduce any AC ripple that may be present on the input rails. C23 probably has a low working voltage - perhaps around 10 or 11 volts. I don't believe the op-amp (IC) is damaged, since they typically have a wide operating range. Here's the version of the IC they went to in 2006.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/NJM2904.pdf

We'll see if that link is allowed through. At any rate, if it's not, the new IC is the New Japan Radio NJM2904L, which can be purchased through Mouser and others. Again, I don't think it's bad. For me, Q1 through Q8 are all suspect, as are any of the electrolytic capacitors, such as C14, C15 and any others I may've missed. I'm not too worried about the diodes and resistors. I don't think that's where your problem is.