I'm looking to start playing solos. Other than just practice, can anyone give me some tips or techniques?
I'm not really sure what you're asking here, to be honest. If you're asking how to improvise, it's gotta come from your heart and a good ear to make it sound good. If you're asking anything else, I'm not sure what to say because I really don't know what else you're asking.

I'll EDIT something in here about techniques in a second. I'm pretty sure there's a sticky about it.

EDIT: There was a sticky that say's "READ THIS FIRST." You could've/should've went to this first, honestly, but here it is: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091796

Like I said, you've gotta be more specific on what it is you're trying to do.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Jun 1, 2013,
I'm just trying to learn technique if there is any. Whether it be sheer improv or emulation of an artist's work, I desire to learn any sort of pattern there may be to playing solos. I know scales are a big part of it, but I can't put the music I hear and think of to guitar when it comes to soloing.
Quote by Megaderp32
I'm just trying to learn technique if there is any. Whether it be sheer improv or emulation of an artist's work, I desire to learn any sort of pattern there may be to playing solos. I know scales are a big part of it, but I can't put the music I hear and think of to guitar when it comes to soloing.

Then you need to learn theory and really listen to the sound of everything that happens when you're playing. You need to know your instrument well enough that when you have an idea you can think of how to play it.

There is, however, no real pattern or technique to writing a solo across all instrumentalists, if there was everyone's solos would sound the same and it would be really really dull.

The best thing I think I can recommend for now, in addition to learning theory and making sure you're always listening, is try transcribing some solos you like by ear. It's hard but it's also incredibly worth it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The biggest and quickest improvements to my solo/improv came directly from purchasing a loop pedal. Highly recommended.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Quote by Megaderp32
I'm looking to start playing solos. Other than just practice, can anyone give me some tips or techniques?

Start seriously looking into the subject of phrasing.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Then you need to learn theory and really listen to the sound of everything that happens when you're playing. You need to know your instrument well enough that when you have an idea you can think of how to play it.

There is, however, no real pattern or technique to writing a solo across all instrumentalists, if there was everyone's solos would sound the same and it would be really really dull.

The best thing I think I can recommend for now, in addition to learning theory and making sure you're always listening, is try transcribing some solos you like by ear. It's hard but it's also incredibly worth it.

+1

Solos are contextual, whether or not they sound "good" is entirely down to what they're being played over - for example The Hotel California solo is amazing, but it'd sound bloody awful over the chord progression from Paranoid. One thing you'll often find in a great solo is a strong melody, it may repeat through the solo or it may evolve and grow as the solo progresses, it may be the vocal melody or inspired by it or it may be something entirely different. However for that melody to work it has to fit with the chords underneath.

So really when soloing the first thing anyone should do, before playing a note, is listen. Listen to the backing and try to hear something in your head that fits.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
In addition to what Steven and Zaphod said, I'd like to add this - more balls.

How confident you feel in your abilities can really effect your sound in a solo. Practice the solo line, learn the ins and outs of the part, then have confidence that you'll nail it. I know some very good guitarists who sound really weak and uncertain when they play a solo line and I think a lot of it comes from their confidence in their own abilities.