Hey everyone, after asking around on this forum I decided on a used Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w. I have two main issues - the input jack is loose (it kind of sags downwards) and sound only goes through if keep the cord pushed up against the top of the amp, keeping the jack in place.

The other is pretty worrying - I have no sound if I turn off post gain. Zero. I can crank to it's max and unless I have post gain on nothing comes out.

Anyone have an idea on how to fix it? Is the gain issue related to the input jack, and if so, is it something that I could fix myself? I have no idea here
The post gain issue is likely not related to the insert jack. The insert jack can be replaced fairly easily but it is PCB mounted. You'll probably have to take it somewhere.

Now the post gain issue is odd. You are talking about the post gain knob? So if it is turned all the way to the left you have no sound? Even with the pregain all the way up and the Master volume all the way up there is zero volume? How far do you have to turn it to the right before the volume comes back? Is it a normal 'taper' up from that point?

The post gain sound is part of the analog Transtube technology and the pot itself is controlled digitally. I guess the first thing I would do is give it a factory reset and make sure it has the latest firmware. Then I'd get that pot looked into. I am assuming you bought it used and have no warranty?

I'm not an amp tech.
I do own a Vypyr 60.
Yeah, it's the post gain knob, and basically as soon as I turn it far enough for the 2nd LED to light up I start getting sound again. Even with pre gain and volume maxed, if there's no post gain I get no sound. I'll reset and update it soon and let you know if that changes anything. I bought it used from guitar center's online store so I do have a 30 day warranty.
For the input jack, maybe you just need a new nut to hold it in place? It doesn't sound like a serious problem. Have you ever opened an amp up before?

But about the post gain... I don't understand why that's a "problem". It sounds like it's working perfectly fine to me. The post gain is the channel volume. You shouldn't get any volume when it's all the way down, because you turned the channel volume all the way down.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 1, 2013,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'll try that with mine in a minute. Maybe that is just the way it is. I usually have my post gain sitting at 11 o'clock and I never touch it. I mean, is it bothering you?

Actually yeah, it's driving me crazy that I always have a distorted guitar. Don't get me wrong, I love the heavy stuff but sometimes I want to play with a clean sound
If it turns out that this is just a quirk of the vypyr I'll deal with it, or because of additional issues ... I'm on the borderline of returning/exchanging this for another vypyr that actually works. The only reason I havent done so already is because this is the first amp I've owned (borrowed an old crappy one that came as a starter kit from a friend before) and I don't want to have to wait another 1-2 weeks

Trying to get my comp to read the usb->midi, will update soon
It sounds like you don't really know what the controls on the Vypyr do.

Everything left of the Master Volume are controls for the "channel" (patch) you're on.

Preagain is your gain knob, or your distortion. Postgain is your volume knob for the channel.

The Master Volume controls the overall volume level for the entire amp. Balance out your Master Volume and your Postgain to get the volume you want across all channels.

Your amp models have two modes each. Push in the amp model knob to change the mode. Red is the higher gain mode, green is the lower gain mode. You should be on a green mode if you want cleans.

Some of the higher gain models have green as a crunch rather than a clean, but that shouldn't be an issue. The right half of the amp models are where you're going to be getting your cleans from.

I personally really like the Classic and the DLX green. You can start there if you want.

I can also give you some settings if you want.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 1, 2013,
Ok so whatever was up is fixed now with that firmware update, and I can actually get a clean sound out of it without it being really distorted. Weird.

Now I just have to figure out that jack. You mentioned that it's on a PCB board? It's not the nut, that's flush with the head. I've never opened up an amp but if it's at all similar to a computer I'm comfortable disconnecting/hooking up stuff.

Edit: You're probably right that I'm being dumb and am mistaken about what things do, but I was getting quite a ton of distortion regardless of where the pregain or post was, and I was using the clean channels. After that firmware patch the amp is actually more responsive to what I do. And i didnt have tubescreamer or other stompboxes/effects on.
Last edited by Shimmeh at Jun 1, 2013,
That's weird. I'm glad you got it sorted out though.

If the nut's fine, how is it sagging? Is it falling into the amp?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Sorry for not being clear, it's the cable itself that "sags." It isn't even with the head, but the nut looks like it's fine. When I push up against the cord so it' parallel I can play it, but when it's not being held up there's nothing. It's definetly not the cable, as I've tried it with another cable and had to do the same thing.
Quote by Shimmeh
Sorry for not being clear, it's the cable itself that "sags." It isn't even with the head, but the nut looks like it's fine. When I push up against the cord so it' parallel I can play it, but when it's not being held up there's nothing. It's definetly not the cable, as I've tried it with another cable and had to do the same thing.

Get a quote from a few repair shops. Get it fixed and enjoy it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.