Hi all,

My first post here, hope this is properly on-topic :-) I'm getting back into playing after a 15-year break. A semi-hollow or hollow electric looks like the way to go, I've always fancied one.

So far I've checked out a Gretsch 5420 and a 5422, and an Epiphone Sheraton. The Gretsches were about 620, the Sheraton 479 (prices in pounds). I've read elsewhere that it's really worth upgrading the electrics on the Sheraton and I'd like to add a bigsby, so I'm kind of thinking of them as costing about the same all-in.

I'll be going back in a week or two to try them out again. So, my question: which other guitars at around the same price would I be crazy to not try out at the same time? I'm in London, UK, so there's a pretty good range of stuff I can try.

Thanks!
I like the Epiphone ES-175's so if you can find one check it out.

There is the Epiphone Riviera that has a bigsby

The Ibanez Artcore semi-hollows get good reviews
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Also, try out the Godin 5th Avenue and Kingpin hollow-bodies.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
the gibson midtowns were meant to be really good (but i haven't tried them). bit more money, but not that much considering how much you're already spending.

godin's a good call, too.

if you're really lucky you might find a japanese-made tokai for around that price, too (the japanese ones are better, so don't discount them if you find a non-japanese one and it's a bit meh, lol).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Schecter Corsair is incredible, at least for what it costs in the US. Artcore guitars are great, and because they’ve been cranking them out for a decade, used Artcores sell for peanuts. So you can buy a used Artcore and then spend the money you saved on some really sweet pickups.
Echoing the recommendations for the Gretsches, the Artcores, and the Godins.

I'm also suggesting the Hagstoms and Reverends. Odds are slim you'll find one in the stores, though.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 1, 2013,
Wow, thanks everyone!

So my shortlist to try out, as close to side-by-side as I can:

• Ibanez Artcore
  • Godin 5th Avenue/Kingpin
  • Hagstrom (turns out that Wunjo Guitars -- who are really friendly and easy to deal with -- in London stock some)
  • Schechter Corsair
  • Reverend (might be harder)
  • Japanese Tokai if I can find one.
  • Epiphone ES-175
  • Epiphone Riviera
  • Epiphone Sheraton
  • Gretsch 5420/5422

Sadly it looks like the Gibson Midtown is out of my price range for now :-(

Thanks for the suggestions, and I'll post back when I've given them all a go.
Quote by gpjt

So my shortlist to try out, as close to side-by-side as I can:

• Ibanez Artcore
  • Godin 5th Avenue/Kingpin
  • Hagstrom (turns out that Wunjo Guitars -- who are really friendly and easy to deal with -- in London stock some)
  • Schechter Corsair
  • Reverend (might be harder)
  • Japanese Tokai if I can find one.
  • Epiphone ES-175
  • Epiphone Riviera
  • Epiphone Sheraton
  • Gretsch 5420/5422

Happy Hunting!

I hope you get a chance to try them all out, even if that would make your final decision harder.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!