so assuming you have a present riff

how do you "properly" approach making a vocal melody for it ?
i only have two methods and they rarely work , 1 making it exactly like the riff and 2 using guitar to make one but it usually sounds like a guitar lick and not what im looking for

any tips are appreciated , thanks
Quote by shadow-guitar
so assuming you have a present riff

how do you "properly" approach making a vocal melody for it ?
i only have two methods and they rarely work , 1 making it exactly like the riff and 2 using guitar to make one but it usually sounds like a guitar lick and not what im looking for

any tips are appreciated , thanks

i usually just feel it out. Record your riff, put it on your mp3 player, listen to it and just sing whatever comes to mind. Vocal melodies are usually easy for me, it's the lyrics that stump me haha.

Good luck man. Don't over think it too much!
have you ever considered writing backwards, with the melodies first?

or writing your guitar parts without an instrument in your hand

#itgetsbetter
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
A good work of art is complete in its conception. Writing a good vocal melody is usually approached by merely singing something that seems singable (write vocal range, easy breaths, etc.). I do like Hail's advice though. Writing away from an instrument is an excellent way to compose. BTW I recommend you read Arnold Schoenberg's Fundamentals of Musical Composition if you want to get real good at composing.
You have to think as a singer not as a guitarist IMO. I believe I improved a lot in this area when I started learning how to sing and actually studying the styles of lots of singers. The melodies should be there for a reason and not just to fill the empty space over your riffs. Keep this in mind.
Last edited by Sethis at Jun 2, 2013,