I can play at a decent speed. Can legato fairly well, but seems when I try and go fast I get a lot of unwanted noise. It doesnt sound as clean as I would like.

What are some exercises I can put together to clean myself up?

I really want to get my trills fast (big dimebag fan) and a fast right hand.

Ideally I would like to get the domination guitar solo down perfectly clean as well as Primal Concrete Sledge by pantera too.

I'd really love to get a routine that I can practice on and will help me see results.

Anyone help me out?
Only way to go fast and clean is to go dead slow and dead clean, then slowly build it up, over the course of months.

And always practice with a clean channel, and don't go quicker until its perfect at your present speed.
All you can do is slow it down to a tempo that you can play it cleanly at, then gradually build from there.
Also, what kind of unwanted noise? If it's a scratchy sound then it could be that your pick is angled rather than flat against the string.
Quote by Cold Reader
Also, what kind of unwanted noise? If it's a scratchy sound then it could be that your pick is angled rather than flat against the string.

No its definitely a technique thing, the noise clears up if i slow down and really listen.

I need to work on my legato, trill, dexterity and right hand speed. any exercises which can boost these?
In addition to the points that have been said about practicing slowly, I'd also add that if you are holding the pick too much at an angle, the attack will get more and more indistinct and noisy.
Last edited by harmony_melody_ at Jun 2, 2013,
There's a sticky at the top of this forum called something 'You must read this first' or something. That has a fair bit of stuff about practicing.

Best thing that ever helped me was to separate 'practicing' from 'playing'.

Playing is learning songs and getting them good. Practicing is drilling on techniques that may not even sound much like music. Drilling is about building control and relaxation. Focus on control and relaxation and speed and accuracy follow of their own accord.

So when practicing, you are *never* thinking 'how fast can I get this', you are thinking 'can I get this perfect and stay relaxed'. When you have it perfect, and are completely relaxed, then go a bit quicker. When I started, I had a daily routine that would take me two hours to complete. After doing this every day for two years, I could play the same routine perfect in ten minutes. But it took the full two years of daily practice to get that kind of increase.

And always, always practice on a clean channel. Otherwise you'll never know if its perfect.
Quote by Bowkore
I can play at a decent speed. Can legato fairly well, but seems when I try and go fast I get a lot of unwanted noise. It doesnt sound as clean as I would like.

What are some exercises I can put together to clean myself up?

I really want to get my trills fast (big dimebag fan) and a fast right hand.

Ideally I would like to get the domination guitar solo down perfectly clean as well as Primal Concrete Sledge by pantera too.

I'd really love to get a routine that I can practice on and will help me see results.

Anyone help me out?

Yep.Lets say you play on the 7th fret G string the D note.The underside of the index finger of your left hand lightly touches the B and E strings muting them and while you are already fretting the D note the tip of your finger that frets the note slightly touches the above(physically) string muting it.The remaining strings (5 and 6 th string) are taken care using your righ hand palm.

So next time you practise lets say scale...you ll move this setup around until it becomes second nature.For example if you play a note at the low E string you underside of your left hand is more than enough to mute everything and the tip of the fretting hand doesnt need to touch the string above cause there is no string above .But as you ascend you put all these muting techniques to play.Until you master muting speed is irrelevant.Fast noise is just that,fast noise .

Oh and i forgot the most important one:When you play a note you dont lift your finger and play the next..you are just easing the pressure and the note is deadend.You finger ll finally move until its absolutely necessary and by that time it ll also be aided by your palm of the right hand.....
Last edited by Dreamdancer11 at Jun 2, 2013,
Quote by Bowkore
No its definitely a technique thing, the noise clears up if i slow down and really listen.

I need to work on my legato, trill, dexterity and right hand speed. any exercises which can boost these?

No.

You need to read what people are saying and understand that "speed" isn't your problem, accuracy, control and technique are your issues.

Work on being more accurate, making your movements more controlled and efficient and also work on your muting, both left and right hand.

Improving your accuracy and minimising your movements will enable you to execute things more quickly and limit the likelihood of you making unwanted noise, muting will allow you to control any extraneous noise that still occurs.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by sannyasidharma

And always practice with a clean channel, and don't go quicker until its perfect at your present speed.

I say practice both, as distortion requires accurate muting because of the noise, noise that can hardly be heard when playing on a clean channel.
baab
Quote by steven seagull
No.

You need to read what people are saying and understand that "speed" isn't your problem, accuracy, control and technique are your issues.

Work on being more accurate, making your movements more controlled and efficient and also work on your muting, both left and right hand.

Improving your accuracy and minimising your movements will enable you to execute things more quickly and limit the likelihood of you making unwanted noise, muting will allow you to control any extraneous noise that still occurs.

Umm... thats kind of what I said, that my problem is a technique thing. and i am looking for specific exercises for it
Quote by My Last Words
I say practice both, as distortion requires accurate muting because of the noise, noise that can hardly be heard when playing on a clean channel.

+1, you also need to practice with distortion as this will highlight any un-muted string noise and you can then focus on getting those parts cleaner. To play super clean with lots of distortion you'll have to use a combination of left and right hand muting.
Quote by Bowkore
Umm... thats kind of what I said, that my problem is a technique thing. and i am looking for specific exercises for it

Exercises will not solve your issue on their own, you need to play almost anything and make sure that your technique is good while doing it. What you play doesn't matter half as much as how you play it in terms of building technique.

I suspect the issue you're having is one to do with muting, nearly everyone who complains of unwanted noise has issues with muting.

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by My Last Words

Agreed. Not to mention that some techniques that Dime uses require a fair bit of distortion and compression (like his infamous dime squeals). The only way to nail those is to practice them with the requisite effects and get them clean.
Quote by My Last Words

+another 1.

Very good point.

I'd say get it right clean first, then you can add on the extra concerns of muting by adding in some dirt.

Very good point, thanks.